Author Topic: POLITICAL ADS ON WG  (Read 8042 times)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Re: POLITICAL ADS ON WG
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:55 PM »
I hope Spuds gets the irony of his post!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
 I must be like the most boring old man in Oklahoma , all I see are tire and insurance ads  :sad:

Dusty

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 09:45:09 PM »
I’m not even going to begin to tell you guys the kind of adds I’m seeing!
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »
Oh! Did you get invited to 'Lesbian Spank Inferno' as well? How dull. Now I don't feel nearly as special! :sad:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:57 PM »
...I also get ads for caravans... The day I display any interest in a 'Toad' or becoming a 'Toadist' is the day...

A Wind-in-the-Willows literary reference in Wildgoose.com; nicely done, Pete.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 04:05:33 AM »
My ad is telling me to WATCH TV NOW and buy more stainless steel straws.  No, and ok.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

pete roper

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 04:27:00 AM »
We opted out of straws a while back. Horrid, unnecessary things. Great for kids parties but they can be waxed paper like when we were kids. I've started taking my own containers and bags to the butcher etc. yeah, it takes a tiny bit of forethought but it's just so easy.

Only political if you want to make it so. I only take my landfill bin out about once a month now which means we can lie in bed and not care if we forget. That's not politics! It's sloth! :wink:

Pete

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 06:07:46 AM »
Never liked straws.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 06:44:02 AM »
A Wind-in-the-Willows literary reference in Wildgoose.com; nicely done, Pete.

I'd wondered where the Toadist term came from.. but assumed it was one of Mr. Roper's Englisher things.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 06:48:57 AM »
I believe the ads you see are a result of YOUR browser history and have little or nothing to do with WG.

I.E. WG isn't choosing the ads you see and is not associating with any political party or ideology.

I hope not because I keep getting dating site banner ads.  Older ladies, foreign ladies, etc.  I am only on motorcycle sites and ebay.  Where is my wife searching?
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 08:52:24 AM »
I hope not because I keep getting dating site banner ads.  Older ladies, foreign ladies, etc.  I am only on motorcycle sites and ebay.  Where is my wife searching?

Yeah, that was my issue with
the ads you see are a result of YOUR browser history
Some of those Russian girls *do* look pretty good, though.. :evil:  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »
We opted out of straws a while back. Horrid, unnecessary things. Great for kids parties but they can be waxed paper like when we were kids. I've started taking my own containers and bags to the butcher etc. yeah, it takes a tiny bit of forethought but it's just so easy.

Only political if you want to make it so. I only take my landfill bin out about once a month now which means we can lie in bed and not care if we forget. That's not politics! It's sloth! :wink:

Pete

Reusable canavas grocery bags, homemade mesh produce bags, SS straws, recycle everything that can be, compost everything that can be,  toss out one small bag of garbage about every week and half. It's pretty easy to do, really.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 09:14:00 AM »
Reusable canavas grocery bags, homemade mesh produce bags, SS straws, recycle everything that can be, compost everything that can be,  toss out one small bag of garbage about every week and half. It's pretty easy to do, really.

We recycle, but around here, it's a pain. Everything has to be cleaned and sorted. No political rant following..  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
We recycle, but around here, it's a pain. Everything has to be cleaned and sorted. No political rant following..  :smiley:

Most places I've lived in Canada make it pretty damn easy. They do ask for some simple effort on the individual's part, but generally, it's drop and go.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »

As explained it's likely based on demographics. So something else you're searching for puts you in the same box as the ones searching for older, foreign ladies etc.

My wife and I share many social and google accounts (especially for a joint household google calendar that appears on both our phones if either updates it anywhere). It makes for interesting ads, especially on FB and TapaTalk. I mean, I know I'm getting a little older and maybe I'm not as fit as I once was, but I get an awful lot of Bra ads.  :shocked:   :laugh:   :boozing:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »

I need to do more of that.   

I always use canvas grocery bags although they're a pain to remember, but those flimsy plastic bags are the bane of the earth and oceans, so it's worth some trouble not to be a part of that lazy wasteful process.   I compost everything that can be composted too and have a compost heap of about 2 cubic yards now.   Plastic recycling is hard for the reasons already mentioned; you have to clean and sort by type of plastic, milk jug caps are different from milk jugs, etc., it's a mess but we may get there ...

I haven't yet figured out what "straws" and "SS straws" are in this context?   I know a drinking straw, but we don't use 6 of them a year totaling a fraction of a gram, and have never seen an "SS" one (stainless steel?)

Lannis 
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
I need to do more of that.   

I always use canvas grocery bags although they're a pain to remember, but those flimsy plastic bags are the bane of the earth and oceans, so it's worth some trouble not to be a part of that lazy wasteful process.   I compost everything that can be composted too and have a compost heap of about 2 cubic yards now.   Plastic recycling is hard for the reasons already mentioned; you have to clean and sort by type of plastic, milk jug caps are different from milk jugs, etc., it's a mess but we may get there ...

I haven't yet figured out what "straws" and "SS straws" are in this context?   I know a drinking straw, but we don't use 6 of them a year totaling a fraction of a gram, and have never seen an "SS" one (stainless steel?)

Lannis

Stainless steel straws, I keep one in the 9L backpack that goes with me everywhere. My wife carries another. It's not so much "volume" of plastic, as it is "effect a straw can have"... like those damn 6 pack rings. Cutting waste for my wife and I is pretty much a hobby at this point. How little power we can use, how we can cut our water usage, spending a bit more to get more use out of a thing, repairing instead of replacing, keeping items even though they're a bit "behind the times" (Your TV is *only* 42 inches!!?? the horror!!). Archaic practice like using the sewing machine, and making rather than buying.

it's fun, it gives us something to do when there's "nothin' to do", and no... it's not always the smartest financially in the short term, but long term, it definitely pays off.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:11 AM »
What a thread drift :wink:

In  Los Angeles County, at least in my area, we get 3 bins. Regular trash (including dirty recyclables (like hamburger wrappers), one for recyclables (like milk jugs, soda cans, cardboard, ect.) and one for green (like yard clippings).  I probably put more in the recycle bin than I should, but if they don't want it, they know where their trash bin is. I end up taking one "tall kitchen" bag full of trash, 1/4 bin of recycle each week and once a month a green bin full. Pretty easy to do and it helps to keep from filling up the landfills.

I WANTED TO ADD.....in California many things like soda containers have a special recycle value that you pay when you buy the item. If you take them TO a recycle place rather than throw them in the bin, you get you money back as well as some value for the type of material. You can also take steel soup type cans, foil, brass and the like to many of the recycle places.

Shopping bags........I hate with a passion having to bring my own bags to the store!!! For one thing, they can get soiled by a leaky package of meat or the like and contaminate the bag. Now the next time you use it, it could contaminate what ever you put in it next time. Yes I have tried to wash them out, but the ones I have I don't think are washing machine safe.
The plastic bags that we used to get were nice. I at least, used the bags (non soiled ones) as lunch bags, soiled ones as trash bags and non soiled ones for any other things I might need to take somewhere. NOW I have to buy trash bags! Easy enough though to find something else to carry things with.

I like some of the answers to the ad issue :wink: It does help the site to pay the bills.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:48:03 AM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 10:32:34 AM »
What a thread drift :wink:

In  Los Angeles County, at least in my area, we get 3 bins. Regular trash (including dirty recyclables (like hamburger wrappers), one for recyclables (like milk jugs, soda cans, cardboard, ect.) and one for green (like yard clippings).  I probably put more in the recycle bin than I should, but if they don't want it, they know where their trash bin is. I end up taking one "tall kitchen" bag full of trash, 1/4 bin of recycle each week and once a month a green bin full. Pretty easy to do and it helps to keep from filling up the landfills.

Shopping bags........I hate with a passion having to bring my own bags to the store!!! For one thing, they can get soiled by a leaky package of meat or the like and contaminate the bag. Now the next time you use it, it could contaminate what ever you put in it next time. Yes I have tried to wash them out, but the ones I have I don't think are washing machine safe.
The plastic bags that we used to get were nice. I at least, used the bags (non soiled ones) as lunch bags, soiled ones as trash bags and non soiled ones for any other things I might need to take somewhere. NOW I have to buy trash bags! Easy enough though to find something else to carry things with.

I like some of the answers to the ad issue :wink: It does help the site to pay the bills.

Tom

Canvas bags. Machine washable, always stored in the vehicle, so we never "forget them". Plus, they never tear, you can carry about 4 times what the average t-shirt bag holds, and they're way more comfortable to hold, if you have to walk any distance. A lot of this stuff is a throwback to my "use my bicycle as a pickup truck" days in the city.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
Toecutter, thanks for the info on canvas bags. My problem is that the ones I have now, are made from some sort of recycled canvas like material and may not hold up to machine washing. When these go bad, I guess I need to look into real canvas bags.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
Toecutter, thanks for the info on canvas bags. My problem is that the ones I have now, are made from some sort of recycled canvas like material and may not hold up to machine washing. When these go bad, I guess I need to look into real canvas bags.

Tom

If someone you know sews... old jeans make great bags too.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »
I WANTED TO ADD.....in California many things like soda containers have a special recycle value that you pay when you buy the item. If you take them TO a recycle place rather than throw them in the bin, you get you money back as well as some value for the type of material. You can also take steel soup type cans, foil, brass and the like to many of the recycle places.

That is another good thing about California. While I'm making my rounds of fountains to get change out of.. :shocked:  I pick up that stuff and turn it in. On a good day, I can make enough money to get me a sack of wine for the evening.. :cool: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
That is another good thing about California. While I'm making my rounds of fountains to get change out of.. :shocked:  I pick up that stuff and turn it in. On a good day, I can make enough money to get me a sack of wine for the evening.. :cool: :boozing:

beverage containers (domestic) all have a deposit on them up here. So you get the deposit back if you return them to sorting depot. Many do, many find it too much work. However, the added benefit of the deposit system is that it creates a built-in recycling program, as those who are down on their luck will put in the effort to retrieve them from the public trashcans.

You *can* collect tin and steel to return for cash, but to scrapyards for whatever the going rate per pound is. You can imagine who much you need to make it worth it, so that stuff is generally just put in the recycling bin.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 12:21:21 PM »

Yes,  Bev insists on washing all the recycles.  I have to wonder what the environmental savings is net, once she opens the tap?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »
Yes,  Bev insists on washing all the recycles.  I have to wonder what the environmental savings is net, once she opens the tap?

Water is... as long as it's not trapped in a container... infinitely recyclable. Most recycling depots can't handle foodstained materials.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
I second Toecutter on this.  It takes very little food wast to make a item not suitable for recycling, best to clean it off as well as is practical.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
Water is... as long as it's not trapped in a container... infinitely recyclable. Most recycling depots can't handle foodstained materials.

yes, but the fuel used to pump it, clean it and pipe it, ain't free.

She ain't usin' rainwater. 

I make a point of never cleaning anything meant for trash or recycle.  This causes all kinds of domestic disharmony. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »
When I take my aluminum cans and plastic bottles in, I bring in a few 40 gallon bags of each at a time. Definitely makes it worth while saving them for a few months or so.

When I take those in, the place I go to also takes scrap aluminum, wire, brass and the like. I don't bother with soup cans or foil, but a used heat exchanger from a boat can get me a decent amount back. You don't get the deposit added value for aluminum scrap, but the scrap value isn't bad.

For the items in the recycle bin, as long as it's clean enough to not draw ants to the bin, I toss it in. If it's too dirty, it goes into a trash bag then into the trash can. Why waste the water in Ca. to clean it first. I do rinse plastic TV dinner trays though, then the cardboard and plastic goes in the recycle bin.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
yes, but the fuel used to pump it, clean it and pipe it, ain't free.

She ain't usin' rainwater. 

I make a point of never cleaning anything meant for trash or recycle.  This causes all kinds of domestic disharmony.

IN that case, you're just using the recycle depot as an alternate trash pickup. They can't do anything with it, so it gets garbaged.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 03:20:10 PM »
IN that case, you're just using the recycle depot as an alternate trash pickup. They can't do anything with it, so it gets garbaged.

I thought they sorted and washed it at the recycle's.
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here