Author Topic: 1953 Vincent Rapide, CL, $65k  (Read 4288 times)

oldbike54

Re: 1953 Vincent Rapide, CL, $65k
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »
  And the reliability comes as a high price of course... Before the internet I used rear the Brit magazine Classic Bike monthly...There was a lot of features on Vincents from well known tuners and rebuilders...It often was said it required a lot of engineering ( to Brits I believe that means machine shop work) to get a Vincent engine into top shape....I did look recently  for a JAP 1000 engine or a Vincent engine to build a hooligan bike. I found piles of junk for silly money and anything good was very silly money...

Dunno , I think some of the stuff written about Vinnies was hype . The aforementioned Englishman lived just up the block from Brian Chapman , the builder and rider of the Mighty Mouse single cylinder Vincent drag bike . He said Chapman could do any mods needed to a Vincent for a reasonable price . I think maybe this is representative of the differences between countries ,classic Harley Davidson motorbikes can sell for really stupid money in Japan , Vincents the same here , but are more reasonable in their home country where they aren't seen as quite so exotic .

Dusty

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
 Oh there's lots of hype for sure....But like any vintage bike, getting it into shape usually, not always of course, requires lots of work and money..John Healy from Brit Bike mentions Vincent problems like spun main beaings, excessive valve gear wear and necessary updates to many components for daily use. Many of the parts have to be made on the spot....

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
Oh there's lots of hype for sure....But like any vintage bike, getting it into shape usually, not always of course, requires lots of work and money..John Healy from Brit Bike mentions Vincent problems like spun main beaings, excessive valve gear wear and necessary updates to many components for daily use. Many of the parts have to be made on the spot....

Always cheaper to buy one already done  :grin:

Twins converted to Picador spec are pretty reliable , or at least the group I rode with seemed to think so . There could be a parallel between Guzzi ownership and Vincent ownership . Have had folks say things like "those are expensive to maintain aren't they" , well , yeah , sorta , if you need a dealer to change spark plugs , not so much for those of us who belong to the family and can access the knowledge and skills to keep an old Guzzi running .

Dusty
t

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 09:52:47 AM »
One of the things I've enjoyed most about motorcycles is their market value only being loosely correlated to their merit.  I don't expect that an expensive bike is automatically great, and I know that there are really great bikes out there for low prices.  Vincents and '70s MV Agustas are very interesting bikes but neither is a particularly good bike to ride and there are equally interesting bikes that a normal guy can justify buying.  I think my ST4 Ducati has some really nice engineering features, rides very well, looks good (better anyway than a Black Prince) and cost $4500 in as-new low mileage condition.

When I bought my bevel SS Ducati years ago, the guys at Pro Italia (where I used to buy some parts) chuckled at me for buying old stuff while the world was "moving on".  Today the same thing applies to Ducatis of the nineties (another example is $8K for a mint low mileage 996) and also for Guzzis of the same era (V11 Sport).  I say don't fret too much about what has already been established in the market, look for what has yet to be recognized and enjoy it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:18:24 AM by Tusayan »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 09:52:47 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »
Always cheaper to buy one already done  :grin:

Twins converted to Picador spec are pretty reliable , or at least the group I rode with seemed to think so . There could be a parallel between Guzzi ownership and Vincent ownership . Have had folks say things like "those are expensive to maintain aren't they" , well , yeah , sorta , if you need a dealer to change spark plugs , not so much for those of us who belong to the family and can access the knowledge and skills to keep an old Guzzi running .

Dusty
t

For sure.....I have no doubt a Vincent engine can be made quite reliable even for sporting riding. I also believe that some riders may get reliable use from a reasonably stock engine.....
 I really need to ride one to for the experience..

Tusayan , everyone who rides my 96 Monster 900 seems to love the damn thing...I paid 3000 bucks for it a few years ago and spent a bit of time getting the carbs in order...You can buy 90's Monsters all day long for $2500-$4000...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:00:30 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
Just need black leather and a red headed girl.... :thumb:

I've got the black leather and the red-headed gal.  Just need $65k  !!!   :shocked:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
I disagree.  It is definitely a much more edgy take on the song, and not saying I don't like it but I much prefer Richard Thompson's approach to the song.  And Richard's guitarmanship is beyond the pale. 

My favorite renditions by female performers are this one by Miranda Russell.  Miranda has a wonderful voice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yVnfX98A8

I also really like this rendition by Christy Jefferson.  The audio is of very good quality even though it is recorded in what looks like her living room. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqMxOgjaWkA

Del McCoury Band puts a good spin on the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fpwlae4ZYc
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here