Author Topic: MGX-21 1st Service  (Read 2526 times)

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
MGX-21 1st Service
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:32:57 PM »
Started the first service on the MGX today, went for a ride to heat things up then strapped down for the oil changes for transmission and engine oil/filter. I had the Motul in my cache, and ordered the kit for the transmission and rear gearbox, but discovered the manual only calls for the transmission at first service, and the rear diff/gear box at like 30K miles. I will change it when I change the rear tire. I'm at 900 on the dot, and when looking for proper fill capacities discovered it is supposed to be at 932, but I'm a retard, so..... lol.

Transmission - After being perplexed a bit about the location of the drain and fill plugs, I discovered the 1400 is lifted up above the lower frame and uses covers to conceal the gaps.  Once found, was a simple cracking open of side and drain plugs. Found the expected amount of shavings on the drain plug. Let it drain an hour with bike tilted towards drain and refiled with the proper gear oil.

Engine oil was straightforward, though the bike is lower to the ground than I thought, my drain pan barely fit, and it was tougher than I thought to get under and look. Alas, I have a 1 car garage stuffed with all my tools and shelves, and 3 bikes. No room for a lift.  The Factory oil was clear, still felt and smelled fine, and had good viscosity, virtually nothing on the magnetic bung of the drainplug. Refilled with Motul Guzzi blood and prefilled filter. 3 quarts initially, ran till warm, then topped off to 1/2 the dipstick.  The Factory fill had the oil at the top of the dipstick and I had NADA in the airbox and drain tube, so maybe she isnt a puker, but I also havent thrashed it yet. Kept revs to 6K so far.

Though I havent done the valves yet, I took the opportunity to hook up Guzzi Diag, re-learn the handle, then the throttle, and learning parameters, following recent guidance from Beetle, I ignored the 'shut off' message from GD, and went straight from re-learn of handle to throttle. Well, the MGX didnt like that much, it threw the triangle of death, relays clicking, and urgent service icon with a couple stored codes. Shut everything off and it all cleared but had an "OS" moment.  I also reset the learning parameters.  When I restarted it stumbled and coughed initially, but caught and started and ran fine, though I think the idle is a bit lower. Will probably re-do it all again after the valve adjust.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:48:27 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1st Service MGX
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
Pulled off the outer valve covers today and discovered why the top end of the 1400 is so honking big. A double valve cover with tons of wasted space. Between that and the engine mounting, the bike is MUCH bigger than it needs to be, but I guess that was the point for the 1400. I hope they use this power plant as a stressed member with minimal frame, smaller valve covers & trim off the fat. Such a wonderful motor...... A minimalist simple stressed member frame like on the CARC bikes, advanced chassis, and Griso inspired body work would be lovely.

I guess I read somewhere, but didn't realize this is a double plug set up. Glad to see they made it idiot proof with different shape plug caps.  I was surprised to see copper plugs, thought they went to Iridium or Platinum. I like copper plugs, but may change them out for iridium at the 6K valve adjust.

Of course, there was one outer bolt over tightened and I almost snapped the bolt getting it out. I've had this on at least 1 bolt on my Guzzi's seems they are made of cheese. I was able to recover by threading a good bolt into the hole, and then a hardened nut on the bolt to chase the aluminum embedded in the threads.  Oh Luigi.............. ....

One final comment, I dont like the service menu options in the MGX, I had grown accustomed to the options on the Norge. It auto scrolls when inputting the diag code. It also doesn't seem to have the ability to read or clear error codes, only reset the 'service coupon'

Hope to get to the valve adjustment tomorrow. Will lift the rear tire put in 6th gear and rotate.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 06:42:48 AM »
Gotta love those first times getting in there, and learning the bike.. 
Paul B

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:07 AM »
Let us know what the valve measurements were. I checked mine at 6k and they were mostly spot on both exhaust were .50 thousandth off, close enough for a goose:)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:07 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »
I just wonder if you can rotate the crank by taking the front cover off like I can with my V11 bikes?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
I just wonder if you can rotate the crank by taking the front cover off like I can with my V11 bikes?
Can on my 1400 tourer

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »

I was hoping to do this, but the MGX has that huge oil cooler, and a bunch of other stuff. Plus the fender is very close. I plan to take a closer look, but jacking the rear is as easy. The Norge and Griso have easy access to the crank bolt.
MGNOC#23231

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »

Did the valve adjust today, gaps were bigger than expected.

Intakes were .16mm left . 17 right, Exhausts were at least .25mm both sides. Also, whoever did the setup adjusted the lock nut REALLY tight, and one was almost over tightened.

Adjusted to .10mm Intake, and . 15mm exhaust. Put all togerher, started up and the engine is markedly quieter.

With the swivelfoot adjusters, and the fact the gaps open when hot, I wonder why we can't run smaller clearances or even 0. Thats how I run my porsche type4 motor (912). Is modified to run 1.7 rockers with the swivelfoot adjusters from the 911, and they run 0 tolerance.

Is it a valve timing or total lift/valve float concern?

The V7 is supposed to run .15 and .20, but I set them .10 and .15. Not a huge difference, but no ill effects. Makes me wonder. Maybe .05 & .10?

Other than the overtight adjusters and an over-tightened valve cover bolt, first service went well. Have a trip planned tomorrow, not sure if i want to take the Stornello or MGX....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:51:15 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Offline tmotorguzzi

• New Egg
Re: MGX-21 1st Service
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 05:19:44 AM »
Where did you purchase the highway bars if I may ask? The only ones online i found were listed only in europe

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 05:28:37 AM »
Pulled off the outer valve covers today and discovered why the top end of the 1400 is so honking big. A double valve cover with tons of wasted space. Between that and the engine mounting, the bike is MUCH bigger than it needs to be, but I guess that was the point for the 1400. I hope they use this power plant as a stressed member with minimal frame, smaller valve covers & trim off the fat. Such a wonderful motor...... A minimalist simple stressed member frame like on the CARC bikes, advanced chassis, and Griso inspired body work would be lovely.

They did my friend, it was called the Griso. It had bigger porting, 40% or so more throttle area and if you want Michael can build you a 1400 one and Mark can map it and it will go like shit off a shiny shovel.

Pete

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 05:31:18 AM »

Depends on model. Yes, you can do it but getting to the crank nut is a lot harder on models with air injection and the low mount oil cooler is a pain in the face.

Actually to clarify John, no, you can't 'Take a cover off'. The 8V has an alternator in the valley of the V like the Loop Frame genny. It's driven in the same way, by a pulley so there is just a bung in the belt cover that you pluck out and then stick a 24mm socket on to turn the crank, same as the V11, but different.

The reasons why it's a pain in the face remain though.
Pete
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:38:12 AM by pete roper »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here