Author Topic: A REAL Solo Saddle for the (Current) V7  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
A REAL Solo Saddle for the (Current) V7
« on: August 27, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
I’m considering modifying my V7II to accept a solo saddle and detachable pillion and rack, much like what is presented in MG’s V7 Alce concept from a few years ago:

MG even released a couple photos that I believe were intended for the MG Garage accessories webpage:

Does anybody know what became of the concept/kit? Were any parts made for it, or did it just evolve into the less creative “Legends” kit?

If they didn’t go forth with producing any parts, I’m thinking about what modifications I may need to make.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:19:40 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A REAL Solo Saddle for the (Current) V7
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
I like the looks of that!   :popcorn:
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 09:57:18 AM »
I bet they never followed through because you would need a entire new locking mech for the seat--- since the plunger for the seat lock is at the rear, cutting your stock saddle in half will result in a front half that isn't fastened to the bike-- not good!

Interesting look, I have my Ambo set up this way, but hadn't considered a V7 configured like that.

If you undertake working out the mount points and doing it, please take lots of pics and make a thread on the conversion!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 10:22:08 AM »
The Ambo’s setup is one of my inspirations driving me to do this. Some Beemers have it, too. Some are right up my alley, like these:

The V9 Bobber comes with a solo-and-removable pillion setup, which I’m looking at for ideas. The saddle lock latch is located at the frame brace that precedes the mudguard, while the rearmost brace is removable and comes with a bolt hole for the detachable pillion seat. From the V9 parts fiche:

However, this setup is meant for the seat bolting directly to the mudguard/frame, rather than onto a rack. We’ll see. Gears are turning.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:34:45 AM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 10:22:08 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
I think you will find there are plenty of points to attach the solo seat without using the existing lock mechanism.
Perhaps you could have a box behind the seat and use the lock with that.

We need  :gotpics:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Bert Remington

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 11:43:34 AM »
I have a solo spring seat on my RE and want one for my V7 III Stone.

I've found one here for the V7 https://www.motea.com/en/solo-spring-seat-for-moto-guzzi-v7-iii-anniversario-br8-craftride-250444-0

And another for the V9 https://www.motea.com/en/solo-spring-seat-for-moto-guzzi-v9-roamer-br4-craftride-249616-0

I might more on this next month.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 12:52:15 PM »
This is a good look in my opinion, and what I'd be going for!

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
A very good find, Bert. Priced for guzzisti, too, if a little steep for Enfielders.

I can see Dirk having to mock up some version of the rear mudguard support (3 in his first diagram) and do something with the V7's inner guard, which is quite robust, but awkward to work with.

Best of luck. Promises to be fun.

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 02:32:09 AM »
This is a good look in my opinion, and what I'd be going for!

Absolutely. Totally forgot to mention that the Falcone’s solo and pillion is also on my inspiration list.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 10:23:53 AM by Dirk_S »

Bert Remington

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
Motea, a German company, replied they don't ship to the US (basically Europe only).  And Craftride is a German company too.  So the search continues.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »
I would imagine someone on the board would be able to orchestrate getting a product from Germany to the US in this case Bert.

John Henry

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 11:13:08 AM »
I would imagine someone on the board would be able to orchestrate getting a product from Germany to the US in this case Bert.

John Henry

I got friends in England who'll do it for me in a heartbeat.   There are lots of US companies that won't ship overseas, so I take care of that for them in return ....

Lannis

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 02:01:07 PM »
I was pumped at the idea for my V7III, went to the motea link Bert provided. Looked good!...then I saw the dimensions. 29cm long & 24cm wide. 24cm is about 9 1/2 inches...LOL my be-hind is "somewhat" wider than that! I have a Harpers solo saddle made for a Tonti frame up in the barn, I'll have to get it down & look at it next to the V7III w/the stock seat off ....then decide how badly I want to try it out. But, w/the knee replacement operation coming up the 8th of Sept, I guess it'll be a while before I get to it.
ronkom
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 02:07:53 PM »
I was pumped at the idea for my V7III, went to the motea link Bert provided. Looked good!...then I saw the dimensions. 29cm long & 24cm wide. 24cm is about 9 1/2 inches...LOL my be-hind is "somewhat" wider than that! I have a Harpers solo saddle made for a Tonti frame up in the barn, I'll have to get it down & look at it next to the V7III w/the stock seat off ....then decide how badly I want to try it out. But, w/the knee replacement operation coming up the 8th of Sept, I guess it'll be a while before I get to it.
ronkom

Looking forward to the report!

Bert Remington

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
I was planning to replace my RE India-made Lycett-style seat with this: https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/38177?ref_page=Classic%20EFI  At 17" x 17" there's a reason they call it "American Chief".  And Hitchcocks is an excellent supplier.

So with a few pieces of bent aluminum and some different springs....

BTW if you've never ridden on a sprung seat, try to do so.  It's a fun experience. :laugh: Not great for attacking the twisties but comfortable and entertaining otherwise.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 06:44:37 PM »
 +1 for the sprung saddle , have had one on my custom goose for over a decade and it's still more comfy than the 2018 Eldorado !  Peter

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 07:19:33 PM »
Recently came across this picture. They are out there.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »
Just as a matter of interest, I checked the Moto Guzzi Garage - Parts catalogue - found the "Low Ride" passenger & rider's seats. Not game to find out the recommended retail.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
Recently came across this picture. They are out there.

I clicked on the pic and zoomed in. Looks to me what appears as a divider between seats is actually just the grab strap. Unfortunately.

I spent some time the other night drafting up a concept for what I want:

Since I’d like the aluminum fender to be naked, I think the rear brace is going to go and be replaced with the V9 Bobber detachable brace. Doing just that, however, might still not allow for a clean look, which I believe the Bobber accomplishes due to having straight rear frame extensions. I’m thinking I’ll be bending them as well, which would mean some required adjustment to the silencer mount and current luggage rack mounts. But, it will have that classic straight look.

Anyway, that’s all just vision at the moment.Back to solo saddle source searches.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:56:20 PM by Dirk_S »

Bert Remington

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 08:19:42 PM »
Dirk_S -- that third picture is an Outstanding design.  From my perspective, the grab bar and tail rack are perfect practicality complement to the solo seat although I agree with you on the fender line.  But whatever you choose, I hope you can carry it forward to a completed execution.  Send pictures of course!

I'm going to take the Hitchcocks solo sprung seat path and see where it goes.  If it doesn't work for my V7 III Stone, it will for the RE.  Placing my order next week.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 09:20:54 PM »
Here you go, the very thing for an old tractor like a Guzzi

All for the princely sum of $10 at Princess Auto
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Bert Remington

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 10:00:38 PM »
KR -- I think you're tormenting me.  It looks to me you took the seat off your Special and put the seat from your lawn tractor in its place (you gave the game away in the third photo). :laugh:  But yeah I'm thinking something like that.  But for a Stone not a Special which is too special for a tractor seat.  Thanks for the visual.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 12:11:54 AM »
KR -- I think you're tormenting me.  It looks to me you took the seat off your Special and put the seat from your lawn tractor in its place (you gave the game away in the third photo). :laugh:  But yeah I'm thinking something like that.  But for a Stone not a Special which is too special for a tractor seat.  Thanks for the visual.

HaHa, this is for another Guzzi, it will be well worth the $10 to see the grins I get.
I actually have a spare seat for this one from a V7II in perfect shape but it cost me $100
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 07:38:03 AM »

I spent some time the other night drafting up a concept for what I want:

Anyway, that’s all just vision at the moment.Back to solo saddle source searches.

Yep, that's the one right there.   I'd get a hand from a seat upholsterer, find a friend with some welding skills, and just make that work!

Lannis

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 02:47:54 PM »
Here's photos of the Low Ride saddles for the V7 III from motoguzzigarage.

They look very similar to those for the V9, but there's no details of the fixing hardware provided, or even of the underside.

I do note that some Nevadas came with dual saddles (the Nevada Club, for instance) and it seems that some other Nevadas and the EV Cali had the same rear saddle. The fixing system is likely to be the sticky bit.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 03:19:13 PM »
I’ve looked at the Low Rider seats. They’re for the V9s. The latching system for these is a bolt for the passenger, and the latch pin fits into the frame bracket just behind the battery box. The setup I’m planning on is actually based off the V9’s system—I purchased both V9 latching system and the frame bracket to add to the bike.  I considered using these, but the front of the seat wouldn’t match up to the width and recess found on the V7’s tank without modification... which could be done, but that’d be a bit pricey.

I just bought a gently used V7 that I plan on chopping up.

I dig that tractor seat pan!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:54:18 AM by Dirk_S »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 09:02:44 PM »
Felt time for an update, since a few other projects have made room for me to get back to the solo seat job.

Late last year, I handed a spare V7 bench seat to a local custom seat maker to turn it into a solo saddle. They seemed open to the challenge. 6 months later into spring, still no seat. They actually put it on the back burner and didn’t touch the job until after I began to press ‘em. I called, gave them a heads up that I was visiting the following weekend, and upon arrival they handed me a chopped seat pan with some rivets in it. I took it back, and a month later, after multiple call attempts failed, revisited and got my money back for the destroyed seat as well as the down payment up-front. I was cordial the entire time. They told me they never wanted to see me or my Guzzi again.

So, it was now on me. Fine, I love a DIY project. Tried a couple options with Royal Enfield seats:

Didn’t look quite right on the bike. Then I finally snagged a V50 Police saddle and thought I punched my ticket home. Figured a seat on one small block bike could easily work on another small block. Not quite, thanks to the differences in tank protrusion. It looked good, but would’ve required a bit more chopping than I wished to do to one of these… sadly, I realized this AFTER I tore off the vinyl cover and chopped some foam:

Then I got the Ural and decided to have fun with that instead…

...until I sold it:

…Anyway…back to the solo seat:

Took the chopped seat, shaped it a little more, and just this weekend relocated the seat locking pin to the front, using PVC screw end cap, angle brackets, and a load of JB Plastic Weld. This location is actually where a V9’s seat pin rests:

Oh, and I chopped the weld points off the rear frame bracket earlier this year:

I plan to add either a cheap Chinese tube rack to the rear, or this Ural fender rack I bought some time ago:

Even have the cushion, which saves me from building a pillion seat.

Next step—wait for the high density Minicel PE foam to arrive, then begin shaping and layering the seat. When it comes to the vinyl cover, I might try to avoid sewing panels together only so that I have a more waterproof saddle—my bike sits out in the elements a lot, and I figure the less seams, the better.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2021, 12:58:24 PM »
If you get the pan how you want it and the foam shaped...  there is a lady here who does great work who can cover it for you. I took her a v50 monza pan & foam that I hacked and shaped and she covered it for me for about $120...  nice perforated faux leather, textured sides, and contrasted stitching. This was for a step-up bench seat, would probably be cheaper for your solo. Also, she rivets instead of glues it to the pan (like a corbin) and I was really happy with her work.

Just something to think about it you get stuck on the cover part, it's tougher than it looks to get right!

https://diannasshop.com

here's the seat she did for me.

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 01:09:44 PM »
Appreciate the contact, Mayor, and that seat's great looking. I considered ribbing my seat, but again, if I put too many holes into my seat, the moisture's going to attack it. I can sew some, and like the rest of the project, I'm now set on doing it myself, but if I donk it up, I'll keep her in mind for sure. This Singer Heavy Duty is sitting on my desk, anxiously awaiting to prove itself after my last project (magnetic panel with straps for my tank bag) proved unnecessary.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »
My thoughts would be to retain the entire seat pan while making it “look” like a solo seat. My local seat guy can make the rider part more “tractor seat”, or Russel Day Long looking, and then put a hard foam to create a flat top, add a layer of hard material like polycarbonate, or plywood and cover in Vinyl. You could embed spacers in the foam to secure a light rack to the pan, and make a flat bottom pillion to mount on the rack or remove the rack and have captured nuts in the pillion so it can replace the rack.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here