Author Topic: Loop Frame Transmission Removal  (Read 800 times)

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
Loop Frame Transmission Removal
« on: March 20, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »
Ok, guys. In addition to rebuilding the front forks on my 74 Eldo, this summer, I'm also going to be doing some transmission work. For a while now, it's had a problem with falling out of gear when I shift into first and travel a short distance, like to the end of my driveway. The general consensus that I've gotten is that the shift return spring is in need of replacement, though s few others have suggested worn dogs on the first gear. Either way, I'll have to pull the transmission.

I've read Greg Bender's instructions for pulling the entire engine and transmission, with basically involves stripping the entire bike. What I'm wondering is if there is a simpler/easier way to go about removing just the transmission.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Loop Frame Transmission Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
Yes, I just did it.

Basically: remove rear wheel, rear drive, brake pedal, brake cross shaft and bellcrank, swingarm, toolboxes, battery, carburetors, airbox (if fitted), battery tray, headpipes, generator cover, generator belt cover, generator. Put a jack under the rear of the engine sump and extend it to support the weight of the engine. Remove transmission/footpeg bolt, shift linkage, etc. Extend jack more until the right cylinder is almost touching the frame downtube. Remove nuts securing the transmission to the engine, pull on the clutch arm to separate the two. Slide it up and off of the studs.
Charlie

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 04:02:22 PM »
Excellent! Thanks, Charlie! Now, one other question: how much will this increase the difficulty of lining everything up properly, when mating the transmission back to the engine?
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 04:17:31 PM »
What Charlie says. But...

I take a few short cuts. Don't remove the rear wheel. Leave shocks attached to swing arm as well as wheel and final drive. Undo U joint boot on big side. Remove swing arm pins and slide the whole rear assy, back a few inches with the u joint still in the swing arm.. If needed it can be held back with some tie down straps or rope.

I do remove the seat and tank for ease of access and to not accidentally scratch the tank.

Remove coil for clearance. I normally can tilt it enough with the gen in place. Your horn may interfere. Horn removal is quicker than the gen.

When you put the trans back on. Take a pair of small locking pliers and GENTLY grab the output shaft. Put trans in first. While wiggling the trans inward, use the pliers to rotate the clutch to trans hub to align it to the clutch plates.

Not hard. Just a bunch of things to remove.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 04:17:31 PM »

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:29:29 PM »
I found that removing all the bell housing studs makes a world of difference
Swinging arm and uj stay in situ, only remove battery/tray/boxes etc,  then header pipes ,
Carbs need twisting or removing to get top studs out
Motor slides forward on support, box comes out easily

Much much easier than Tonti crab

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 08:59:43 AM »
What Charlie says. But...

I take a few short cuts. Don't remove the rear wheel. Leave shocks attached to swing arm as well as wheel and final drive. Undo U joint boot on big side. Remove swing arm pins and slide the whole rear assy, back a few inches with the u joint still in the swing arm.. If needed it can be held back with some tie down straps or rope.

I do remove the seat and tank for ease of access and to not accidentally scratch the tank.

Remove coil for clearance. I normally can tilt it enough with the gen in place. Your horn may interfere. Horn removal is quicker than the gen.

When you put the trans back on. Take a pair of small locking pliers and GENTLY grab the output shaft. Put trans in first. While wiggling the trans inward, use the pliers to rotate the clutch to trans hub to align it to the clutch plates.

Not hard. Just a bunch of things to remove.

Tom

I'm usually doing a total rehab of some old Guzzi, so need to take the rear drive off for inspection anyway. Same with the driveshaft and u-joint. It's really not that much more work and it gives one the chance to inspect it all, grease the splines, check/replace the carrier bearing, etc.
Charlie

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
Charlie, that makes sense since you wanted to check those things as well.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here