Author Topic: NGC Solar Powering a home?  (Read 14994 times)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
Re: NGC Solar Powering a home?
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
We put a white metal roof on our small house (1300sf), our walls are 6" thick (w/R19 insulation), and belong to an electrical co-op. Those measures have kept our electric bill at about $100/month. We have a couple of generators for outages: an 8kw diesel for the house and a 2.5kw gas for our Kegerator...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:20:06 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
I've never understood the value of putting in a solar system without a battery bank. I suppose if you're home all day using appliances it would be helpful, but as others have noted here, peak electrical usage is mostly at night, when people are home watching TV, making dinner, taking showers and washing clothes. I'd want to generate my electric capacity during peak sunlight, store it in batteries and use that stored energy when the rates go up at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it because when I'm not home during the day, the system is putting credits back on the grid.  Then, I reuse those same credits during the night when we are home.  So far, I'm averaging around $4 per day for electricity. Before going solar, it was around $15 per day in the heat of summer. For July alone, my electric bill will be $148.  It would have been $452. Roughly a 68% offset. I can dig that savings.

Batteries are phase 2.  Phase 1 was getting most of the solar panels installed, and trying to pay them off in 5 years.  Phase 2 would be the addition of more panels to complete the offset and enough batteries to power the house for 24 straight hours of darkness.  That should be enough batteries to cover any clouds, rainy days, etc that may keep everything from charging correctly. The ultimate goal is to go 100% off-grid.  Time will tell.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
FBI investigates Arizona utility

APS may have used ratepayer funds to help elect anti-solar commissioners

Former commission chairman indicted for accepting bribe

https://www.ecowatch.com/fbi-arizona-public-2467980589.html?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1501689935
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2017, 08:25:08 PM »
For me solar was a no brainer here in Southern California.  With the costs for electricity going up yearly because of the global warming initiative and the incentives from federal and state we put solar in almost 2 years ago.  My electric bill is from $1 to $8 a month and last year we got a rebate check for a couple hundred from the electric company for the excess we put back into the grid. In addition to that we charge our Chevrolet Volt at no cost.   Now before you all think I'm one of those crazy California liberals, I only live here because my kids are here and I decided to play Californias silly game as long as I'm here.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2017, 08:25:08 PM »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2017, 12:38:29 AM »
HOA rules prevent line drying....apparentl y the neighbors don't care for the smell.

--- anyone explain to HOA that you are supposed to wash the garments before hanging them out to dry? (sarcasm)
That would actually P me off to be told I can't use my free, environmentally friendly clothes line.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline nyITguy

• New Egg
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
Now before you all think I'm one of those crazy California liberals, I only live here because my kids are here and I decided to play Californias silly game as long as I'm here.

That's funny, nothing about what you described struck me as liberal or conservative. It just sounds smart.

Online groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
That's funny, nothing about what you described struck me as liberal or conservative. It just sounds smart.

I guess it looks smart but this state forces you into going this direction or paying very high electric and fuel prices.   I certainly wouldn't have gone that direction in another state.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »

Yep. What he said.  Smart. I personally think that if you own your home and plan to stay in it, you should go solar. One of the main deciding factors for me to jump in this year was the because of the 30% tax rebate that will be shrinking after this year before finally being phased out.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2017, 05:39:51 AM »
Nice plan Luap.  Have you considered a small windmill as well?  Not sure about your area, but, in NM when it is cloudy it is usually windy.

One of the guys who lived in the mountains near us had quite a setup.  He built an electric car as well (from a 70's Corvette).  Fuel cell.  He made his own hydrogen using solar electric.  Also had three windmills.  Water heat was also solar.  FWIW, he was also a researcher at Sandia Labs when they were doing a ton of alternative energy research.  His house was designed around solar heating, complete with thermostat controlled opening louvers along the ceiling and floors.  He got an award for the design from somewhere back in the 80's.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2017, 05:52:47 AM »
I am in sunny New Mexico. Have no experience with solar power myself, but my bartender had a system installed on his house. He has refrigerated air on all summer (not a swamp cooler), and still gets a check every month from the power company. Hasn't had to pay an electric bill in several years.
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
Charlie B: That would probably be Doug Balcomb, an architect who pioneered passive-solar buildings. Great guy. I had the privilege of working with him.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2017, 07:38:34 AM »
Nice plan Luap.  Have you considered a small windmill as well?  Not sure about your area, but, in NM when it is cloudy it is usually windy.

One of the guys who lived in the mountains near us had quite a setup.  He built an electric car as well (from a 70's Corvette).  Fuel cell.  He made his own hydrogen using solar electric.  Also had three windmills.  Water heat was also solar.  FWIW, he was also a researcher at Sandia Labs when they were doing a ton of alternative energy research.  His house was designed around solar heating, complete with thermostat controlled opening louvers along the ceiling and floors.  He got an award for the design from somewhere back in the 80's.

Yes, I have for sure thought about adding a 25-30% wind power offset to complete the project. But, the technology around here does not quite match the price yet, and the windmills I've read about require a lot of maintenance. It might be right in 5 years or so though.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here