Author Topic: Mystery Conversion  (Read 722 times)

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
Mystery Conversion
« on: May 24, 2022, 07:51:58 PM »
I'm helping a friend finish a loop frame bike project that we think has been converted to a Tonti (T3?) engine. The frame number on the loop is 060397 and the engine number is VD*103385. My buddy bought the bike from a guy in Pasco, WA (no longer in the area) who apparently bought it from the widow of the guy who had started the project. The guy who started the project did a very nice job of putting things together. The bike has been converted to an alternator from the original generator which looks like a Bob Nolan/Greg Field alernator kit. It also looks like a loop front gear cover may have been fitted to to a Tonti motor (if that is possible) since the motor mounting in the front looks stock. The engine number looks like it is in the T3 series but has a wierd prefix. There was also suggestion that the bike may have a 1000 cc kit installed. We're both feeling kind of stupid not knowing what we have and really need to figure that out before we proceed. So, any ideas or insights on how to figure what we have from anyone out there is requested. I don't currently ahve any photos available, but can post some if that will help. I'm trying to get a hold of the widow of the fellow who started the project to see if he has friends who know what was included in this project.

Thanks

Jim
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
1966 BMW R60/2

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Mystery Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 08:32:10 AM »
Bump.
Yes, get some pics, that will tell a lot.
I’m having a hard time visualizing a loop front cover with an alternator (if it’s on the front of crank) I do think the loop cover will mount to the later block.
The FRAME number of a T3 starts with VD.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:43:41 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 08:41:49 AM »
I'm helping a friend finish a loop frame bike project that we think has been converted to a Tonti (T3?) engine. The frame number on the loop is 060397 and the engine number is VD*103385. My buddy bought the bike from a guy in Pasco, WA (no longer in the area) who apparently bought it from the widow of the guy who had started the project. The guy who started the project did a very nice job of putting things together. The bike has been converted to an alternator from the original generator which looks like a Bob Nolan/Greg Field alernator kit. It also looks like a loop front gear cover may have been fitted to to a Tonti motor (if that is possible) since the motor mounting in the front looks stock. The engine number looks like it is in the T3 series but has a wierd prefix. There was also suggestion that the bike may have a 1000 cc kit installed. We're both feeling kind of stupid not knowing what we have and really need to figure that out before we proceed. So, any ideas or insights on how to figure what we have from anyone out there is requested. I don't currently ahve any photos available, but can post some if that will help. I'm trying to get a hold of the widow of the fellow who started the project to see if he has friends who know what was included in this project.

Thanks

Jim

VD is the correct prefix for a T3 engine. A "1000 cc kit" would be a good thing since the T3 would have had chrome bores and the "big bore" kit likely has either iron liners or Nikasil bores.

Bump.
Yes, get some pics, that will tell a lot.
I’m having a hard time visualizing a loop front cover with an alternator (if it’s on the front of crank) I do think the loop cover will mount to the later block.

Nolan/Field alternator kit - mounts on top like the original generator. Yes, a Loop timing cover fits and works, although those from engines with gear driven cams require the reinforcing ribs on the inside be machined away. Timing chain Eldo cover works best, 060397 would have been timing chain.
Charlie

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 05:50:47 PM »
Charlie -

Thanks for that info, very helpful.

Jim
1966 BMW R60/2

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 05:50:47 PM »

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »
Is there some obvious indication that a 1000 cc cylinder kit has been installed? If not how do we make that determination - pull a head and check bore diameter? If it has been done, what carbs should be run, original T3 carbs or something larger?

Thanks,

Jim
1966 BMW R60/2

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 07:05:28 PM »
       It's easier to drop the pan & measure the skirt, then you could see if it has cast liners.

Then you can change filter.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 07:14:12 PM »
Is there some obvious indication that a 1000 cc cylinder kit has been installed? If not how do we make that determination - pull a head and check bore diameter? If it has been done, what carbs should be run, original T3 carbs or something larger?

Thanks,

Jim

What Steve wrote. Measure the bore from below - 88 mm = 949 cc ("1000"). If a magnet sticks to them very well, then they're iron liners. Just barely sticks, then they're Nikasil.

The round-fin  "1000s" (Convert, G5, SP and CX100) all had 30 mm carbs like a T3, so I'd stick with them unless you need more power and don't mind sliding down that slippery slope.  :wink:
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here