Author Topic: HD recalling a ton of bikes  (Read 12536 times)

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Re: HD recalling a ton of bikes
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »
Sounds like a simple enough fix for Harley.  Not like they're tearing an engine down.  At least they admit fault.  Kudos for that.  ;-T

Go about your bashing.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
No.   Even if the friction adjuster was starting to wear or get out of adjustment, it typically didn't "engage" suddenly ... it would slowly vibrate forward and you could feel it coming.   You had to "rock" it with your foot, it didn't snap over center.   The Indian clutch had to be held down like a car clutch.   If an oil-slick boot slipped off, or you leaned a bit while stopped and didn't pay attention, it DID snap to engagement and there you were.

Although most of the 1954 Harley Big Twins had foot shifts, 54FLE1814 was a "50th Anniversary Model" with the hand shift and rocker clutch, and (being an FL"E") had the EL 61" cam in it.

Lannis

I rode a left throttle foot clutch Indian....I don't remember much but the left throttle was bizzare.. For some reason I remember the Harley being an over center device...
  I don't sit at typical traffic lights in gear with the clutch pulled in...my shift foot on the peg, the other foot on the ground.

56Pan

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »
I rode a left throttle foot clutch Indian....I don't remember much but the left throttle was bizzare.. For some reason I remember the Harley being an over center device...
  I don't sit at typical traffic lights in gear with the clutch pulled in...my shift foot on the peg, the other foot on the ground.

Yeah, the old HD foot clutch was an overcenter unit.  But if you had put in higher pressure clutch springs, which I had done, without the friction leather washer working it would flip back over center quickly.  Just had to remember that when it got wet to put it in neutral at a light.

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
 I once rode a knucklehead with an aftermarket speed e shifter , a mechanical device with a gated linkage that automatically shifted the trans up or down when   the clutch pedal was depressed  depending on where a small lever was positioned . Developed for drag racing , sold on the aftermarket in the late 30s early 40s .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »

56Pan

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »
I once rode a knucklehead with an aftermarket speed e shifter , a mechanical device with a gated linkage that automatically shifted the trans up or down when   the clutch pedal was depressed  depending on where a small lever was positioned . Developed for drag racing , sold on the aftermarket in the late 30s early 40s .

Dusty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMK1XVGI_mc

Had to look that one up.  Pretty clever.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »
There is possibly a touch of envy at Piaggio, imagining what it would be like to have 45000 late model motorcycles to fix under warranty here in the US> ;D ;D

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 10:37:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMK1XVGI_mc

Had to look that one up.  Pretty clever.

Missed the Speed e shifter reference . I probably am not spelling it quite right . One question , in what universe is a V-rod capable of 200 MPH  ;D

Dusty

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:13 AM »
"especially after long periods of being parked" That's like most of them eh?
nah they ride around on trailers a lot though.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

56Pan

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »
Missed the Speed e shifter reference . I probably am not spelling it quite right . One question , in what universe is a V-rod capable of 200 MPH  ;D

Dusty

:D An alternate one.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here