Author Topic: How'd you learn to wrench?  (Read 7899 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: How'd you learn to wrench?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 02:27:23 AM »
Worser than you can imagine , well , unless you own a Meriden Triumph twin or an airhead , I know enough about those to get us all in trouble  :rolleyes:

Dusty

I think what he's saying is that much like owning a Borgward or  Sunbeam, his relationship with Dusty has forced him to become a better mechanic.   :grin:

I think I got started mechanicking out of necessity,  and got good it -- like everything I got good at -- to piss off my dad.  My dad discouraged me from doing things and didn't like me touching his stuff.  He was a good woodworker, but not much for the wrenchy arts.  I learned early and on the fly because he had no aptitude or patience for broken machinery, and we had a lot of it.  I was expected to hand him the correct part or tool even if he didn't know what it was.  At 5 or 6 I sure as hell didn't.  He never did get it that journeymen are made, not born.

If it was something of mine broken I got to figure it out for myself and sneak the tools to do it.  There was a gas station a mile from the house and I often went there to borrow something to fix my bike or whatever.  Warren Swerengen (might be misspelled.  He was a giant Scandinavian) let me hang out and watch him work, and actually explained what he was doing and why, like he was talking to himself.  Sort of a running commentary.  Things like side valves and magnetos made sense when you put it that way.

Warren knew dad so I think he felt sorry for me.  Or maybe he thought I had potential.  I'll never know.  But he gave me a little steel box stuffed with enough of his stray and clapped out tools to rebuild the engine on a 8hp riding lawnmower and convert it into an offroad go kart when I was in 3rd grade.  He answered my questions along the way and taught me old school stuff like annealing an old copper head gasket, and what is a copper head gasket.  It went like stink.  I still have the Ford wrench from that tool set.  It may be my longest held possession.

I've had other motivations and other mentors, but those were the first.

Offline DorsetBlue

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 03:18:48 AM »
Being a Brit, I was largely self taught using the trust Haynes manual for my Suzuki TS50ER (and for most of the subsequent bikes - Guzzi workshop manuals used though for my V50 Mk2 and the current Cali 3).  My dad was a trained mechanic at the time, but the only time I asked for his help (refitting the cylinder over the piston rings), he managed to break the piston ring....which was a defunct size, so I had to get the cylinder rebored to the next size up.  Did it largely myself from then on and still do.

Offline perter

• SP1000 owner since Aug 2015
  • New Egg
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 03:29:23 AM »
I would say I'm out of a family with long traditions for doing things ourself. My dad was a gifted woodmaker and did most of our furnitures himself, windows in our house and so on. He was not much of a mechanics though and perhaps that gave me a "niche" to build my own competences working on bicycles, lawn movers, mopeds and when I turned 18 on my first bike (Honda CB350Four) and later on my old cars.

My interests in mechanic and metal work make me Manufacturing Engineer and even though I've moved away from shop floor work since, I still like to fix things and understand how things work.

I'm not at all magic and what I've learned has been trial-and-error supplied with reading stuff like Haynes and later this famous internet thing you know and asking stupid questions both on the web and in real life when i meet a true gear head

There's a saying where I come from that "a true enginer believes he can do anything as long he has enough time".... in that case I'm fully qualified, but I would still like more time ;-)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:34:00 AM by perter »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 06:50:57 AM »
I spent much of my youth in the garage with my Dad fixing whatever needed fixing

I can remember him changing the engine in a Ford Anglia and being fascinated that I could winch myself up to the roof of the garage sitting in the slings of the chain block.

Meccano was my go to toy in the majority of cases

Fundamentally, I think I have the "Mechanical Engineer" gene in me and whether I'd had Dad's input or not I'd be playing with cars, bikes and now at work gas turbines
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 06:50:57 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »
Being a Brit, I was largely self taught using the trust Haynes manual for my Suzuki TS50ER (and for most of the subsequent bikes - Guzzi workshop manuals used though for my V50 Mk2 and the current Cali 3).  My dad was a trained mechanic at the time, but the only time I asked for his help (refitting the cylinder over the piston rings), he managed to break the piston ring....which was a defunct size, so I had to get the cylinder rebored to the next size up.  Did it largely myself from then on and still do.

There's got to be something in the water that explains the innovations and weird-to-great stuff that came out of British "cottage industries" - Lotus, Cotton, Rickman, Egli, all those, there are hundreds over the years.   Great stuff and a lot of great British mechanics ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »
I think what he's saying is that much like owning a Borgward or  Sunbeam, his relationship with Dusty has forced him to become a better mechanic.   :grin

I owned both. Both wiped the crank. This was before I owned my Norton so engine internals were a mystery. I sold them both as is.

Pete

Offline Rod

• Hatchling
    • My Rideouts Website
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 08:28:17 AM »
I always had the fixit inclination. That translated into my career as a self-taught database developer. After working my way from a small Honda in my teens to an HD Road King, I longed for the days I used to do my own tuneups. Started looking for a vintage bike and bought my 70 Ambassador. Turned out it needed a full rebuild. Mechanics is problem solving like software development, except there's the tactile element, which I longed for after tapping keys all my career. That's a skill or inclination as well, knowing when tight is too tight, etc. I think I got some of that from my Dad. I was also inspired by Robert Pirsig and his book, which I read in my 20s and reread it when I took this project on. So I went for it, and fortunately Loop Guzzis are well suited to DIY mechanics, as evidenced here and on the Loop forum. It's amazing the support I was able to get from the Guzzi community and the Loop crowd, Charlie Mullendore in particular, and I now have a great running Guzzi that I can fix at any level. Wrenching is good for the soul, and it's given me a new lease on life in my 60s. I also think I accidently picked the right bike. I now have a 74 Eldorado as well. Sold the Harley. Probably not an uncommon story here.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 08:37:29 AM »
I grew up on a farm. I started turning handing wrenches to my dad about age 3. Started turning wrenches by age 5. Bought my first car at 12. Had it road ready by age 14. Got offered a nice sum for it, so sold it at 15. Bought my truck by age 16. So, I didn't have a ratchet in my cradle as a babe, but definitely started at a young age. Been learning more about wrenching ever since.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Mike Crenshaw

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
My Dad wasn't much on mechanical things but he did encourage me to take care of my bicycle, fixing flats, chains, and such.  One thing he told me that always stuck with me is "you don't have to be as smart as the guy that designed it to be the guy that can fix it".  He never would let me have a car or motorcycle even though I began working at 12 and had money of my own, so it wasn't until after I entered the army that I had my first car and motorcycle. 

Most of my life I've had more time than money so had to learn how to do my own repairs as best as I could.  I learn visually so reading a maintenance manual was a difficult process for me.  Then I discovered the internet forums and YouTube, which has been a boon.  Of course you get what you pay for with both.
03 Moto Guzzi California EV
18 BMW R1200RT
75 BMW R90/6 Elwood
80 BMW R80/7
74 Yamaha TY250A
06 Suzuki DR650
68 Triumph TR25W

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
My dad (an ME) had a backfire incident with the big 425 V8 in his '65 Olds while setting the dwell. If it wasn't for his glasses it might have been tragic accident. As a result, he gave up doing his own maintenance. This created a need for someone in the family who could undertake light maintenance and emergency repairs. I started out with bicycles and lawn mowers and eventually took on the family automobiles. I never have done major repairs like engine rebuilds, but I'm pretty good with the little things like axle seals, U-joints, and swapping out ancilliary components. Most of my training came from shop manuals and helping friends with their rides, but I was also an avid reader of texts by folks like Kevin Cameron, Phil Schilling, and Cook Neilson. I'm still learning...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 09:01:11 AM »
Grew up on the farm, so we fixed everything.  Unfortunately my older brother had the real skill - could literally fix anything.  I was relegated to working on those things that most ham-fisted people could do.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

jwinwi

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
Mostly Haynes and Guzziology. Dad wasn't interested in things mechanical and had no tools. When I got the motorcycle bug I learned the hard way: making mistakes and then fixing them myself. Luck had a lot to do with it too because I never got in over my head... not yet anyway!

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
as a student i bought my dream bike , a norton commando as daily transportation, and it broke down :-)
as a poor student having it repaired was out of the question.
so my parents gave me a workshop manual, i bought some crappy tools, and had a go at repairing it.
nobody i knew was working on cars or bikes, so i had a pretty steep learning curve.
learning by doing.
never stopped spannering after that...

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
By breaking everything first... :popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Flea

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
By breaking everything first... :popcorn:

"How are you so great at fixing everything?"

Because I learned early on that if you break it, you better fix it before someone notices.  :grin:

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »
I haven't learned, and I'm not really interested or inclined, and I'm convinced I'm completely untalented. 
Admittedly, having grown up in the fifties and sixties there might be a few things I could do if pressed  -  but I don't have a place to wrench and no tools, and it wouldn't be done realiably.
So, I've found I need two Guzzi's  -  hopefully there's one running if the other is waiting to be fixed by some mechanic. Mostly, both bikes get all maintenance and fixes by good wrenches during the winter and are operational all season....
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
Reading the postings here it comes through loud and clear that mentoring is an important part of this wrenching thing. Neither of our son's grandparents were in to wrenching, but I got help at the start and now both son and grandson are in the automotive business.

I am also sure that having a mechanical interest helps us to respect and prolong the life of any equipment we own.

Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
I haven't learned, and I'm not really interested or inclined, and I'm convinced I'm completely untalented. 
Admittedly, having grown up in the fifties and sixties there might be a few things I could do if pressed  -  but I don't have a place to wrench and no tools, and it wouldn't be done realiably.
So, I've found I need two Guzzi's  -  hopefully there's one running if the other is waiting to be fixed by some mechanic. Mostly, both bikes get all maintenance and fixes by good wrenches during the winter and are operational all season....

That right there is the saddest sto9ry I have heard in a long long time.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »
Men in my generation learned life skills in the back seats of '62 Chevrolets.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
basically I like to take things apart...so kind of have to learn how to put things back together...one way or or another...LOL...

But didn't start "seriously" wrenching until I moved out of my parents' place a few years ago...because "wrenching" was deems "low class" in my dad's eye...

before I was just turning a screw here and there, hoping I don't break anymore stuff LOL

Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
My dad was a Harley mechanic most of his life.  He even taught riding and mechanics at the army's motorcycle school in Ft. Knox during WWII.  Unfortunately, he once told me "I'll help you do anything you want except be a motorcycle mechanic."  He didn't mind me riding, just didn't want me to make a living the same way he did.  So, he never actually tried to teach me any of the finer points of repairing a motorcycle.  But he also liked to take care of his own stuff, so I learned a lot just from watching him.  Anything else I know has all come from manuals and experience.  I'm not a great wrench, but I can pretty well keep my stuff going.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 09:20:56 PM »
From RodeKyll:
think what he's saying is that much like owning a Borgward or  Sunbeam, his relationship with Dusty has forced him to become a better mechanic.   :grin:

I think I got started mechanicking out of necessity,  and got good it -- like everything I got good at -- to piss off my dad.  My dad discouraged me from doing things and didn't like me touching his stuff.  He was a good woodworker, but not much for the wrenchy arts.  I learned early and on the fly because he had no aptitude or patience for broken machinery, and we had a lot of it.  I was expected to hand him the correct part or tool even if he didn't know what it was.  At 5 or 6 I sure as hell didn't.  He never did get it that journeymen are made, not born.

If it was something of mine broken I got to figure it out for myself and sneak the tools to do it.  There was a gas station a mile from the house and I often went there to borrow something to fix my bike or whatever.  Warren Swerengen (might be misspelled.  He was a giant Scandinavian) let me hang out and watch him work, and actually explained what he was doing and why, like he was talking to himself.  Sort of a running commentary.  Things like side valves and magnetos made sense when you put it that way.

Warren knew dad so I think he felt sorry for me.  Or maybe he thought I had potential.  I'll never know.  But he gave me a little steel box stuffed with enough of his stray and clapped out tools to rebuild the engine on a 8hp riding lawnmower and convert it into an offroad go kart when I was in 3rd grade.  He answered my questions along the way and taught me old school stuff like annealing an old copper head gasket, and what is a copper head gasket.  It went like stink.  I still have the Ford wrench from that tool set.  It may be my longest held possession.

Great story. Helps me to grasp you and your trike.  :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »
My motto has always been, "never be afraid to work on somebody else's stuff."

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »
My dad owned a Flying “A” gas station when I was growing up in the late 60’s. I learned to push a broom, change oil; and, eventually fix cars at that station. Dad use to put me in the trunk and drive around and over bumps so that I could locate the “strange” noises for him.  Today they probably would have arrested him for child abuse!

Lots of practice on my own numerous motorcycles, dune buggies and old cars growing up.

Vocational diesel mechanic school, after the military, and then on to college a few years later.

Studied Ag mechanics in college, then got a graduate degree as a vocational automotive instructor after I graduated.

Worked my way through college as an automotive mechanic at Sears.

After college I spent 25 years not twisting a wrench for a living, just for my own enjoyment.

Instead of teaching mechanics, I made my living making and selling a few billion lbs of bulk chocolate to candy and food companies.

Always fixed my own cars, bikes and my in-law’s tractors (he was a farmer).

Now that I’m retired, I still enjoy learning everything I can about the current bike I’m riding and still love twisting a wrench.

I will admit that my current Toyota Prius V scares the shit out of me mechanically!  It is the first vehicle I’ve ever owned that I let the dealer service on a routine basis.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2018, 04:53:58 AM »
That right there is the saddest sto9ry I have heard in a long long time.

Let's say I've learned to live with it   :grin: (looking up from his book, sipping his champagne) 
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

oldbike54

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2018, 05:56:00 AM »

Nothing wrong with that ...

Let's say I've learned to live with it   :grin: (looking up from his book, sipping his champagne) 

One of my best friends couldn't change a sparkplug , and half the time couldn't find his keys .

Dusty

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2018, 06:03:03 AM »
I learned by making mistakes. What it cost to get it right was the price of that lesson. There's cheaper ways to learn...
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2018, 06:37:26 AM »
My dad owned a Flying �A� gas station when I was growing up in the late 60�s. I learned to push a broom, change oil; and, eventually fix cars at that station. Dad use to put me in the trunk and drive around and over bumps so that I could locate the �strange� noises for him.  Today they probably would have arrested him for child abuse....

Dads can be like that.

When I was 10 or 11 mine was once trying to stop the car radio crackling so set off on a mission to put suppressors everywhere on the ignition system

He wasn't sure how to wire the one for the coil so stuck its lead under the HT output and said "cop hold of this nipper while I start the engine"

Couldn't work out why I burst into tears after receiving the full 25Kv (or whatever it was then)

However I can also fondly remember being asked to hold a gasket while he put some red Hermatite on it only for him to track the tube over my hand as well.

A lesson I made sure to pass forward to my stepson when the opportunity arose  :grin:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:12 AM »
My eldest brother was always wrenching on his his cars. I learned some stuff watching him and then when I bought a Bug, John Muirs book saved me.  :-)

Today I rely on forums, Youtube, workshop manuals.

Right now I am continuing to unravel the mysteries of the carburetor.   Took apart the one from my Rebel and the CRF230.  They spent time in the sonic cleaner and then put back together with new jets and rubber.  The bikes seem to run great now..... yay!!!

Now I'm off to finish up the CRF....new chain, sprockets, fork fluid replacement, brake fluid, oil change.  Simple stuff.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »
First job out of high school....gas pump jockey at a Texaco station.  Full service then.  I would watch the mechanic while waiting for the next car.  I learned to the periphery stuff first.  Drum brakes was the first then oil changes.  Transmission and rear-ends oil changes after that.  When I picked up on motorcycles.  I couldn't afford to pay others to work them. 

Everything mechanical makes sense to me.  For Guzzis, the MGNOC has been a big help before the internet.  The newsletter with owner's tips plus the tips books helped with acquiring the info for working on Moto Guzzis.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here