Author Topic: Battle Damage (Jimmy Van content)  (Read 6718 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Battle Damage (Jimmy Van content)
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
Had my first me-initiated close encounter with another moving vehicle EVER today.   :o :'(  Made a left from a "T" intersection and heard the impact -- didn't feel it with the van.  Got the LF fender and door of the mini-suv.  I'd waited for traffic to clear, and then waited for someone who looked like they were approaching a bit 'hot' to go by, started into my turn, and BAM!  Honestly never saw the car.  Nobody hurt and not a lot of damage.  I thought it was a completely clear intersection and was easing into the turn because I wanted to make a right within a hundred feet or so.  So the impact was at 10mph or less.

The girl was nice about it.  She didn't have to be, since it was clearly me trying to murderfy her.  The cops were nice too as they wrote me a ticket, added 2 points to my license, and included a $150 fine + surcharges.  They didn't mind that my center console was missing -- along with the bona-fides that I'm supposed to be carrying.  Stuff like the registration and insurance card.  It's on the front porch where I put it last night as I was cleaning the dizzy cap in the van.  Convenient, eh?  Next comes the insurance part.  Debbie, the biker-lady-State-Farm agent is gonna give me the what-for.   :wife:

I'm just sick over it.  I mean physically nauseated and menatally devastated.  I have taken a lot of pride in a perfect driving record and no hits in 45 years of driving.  I haven't even had a parking ticket till now.  I'm so untogether that when I went back to setting up my differential the first thing I did was jamb the seal puller through the pinion shaft oil slinger.  I went to replace it and didn't have my wallet.  Decided to go to the shop and pick up some gasket scrapers, got there and forgot what I was after.  Didn't remember until I started writing this.   :P

I was in that intersection because I got called off my trike work to deal with a computer emergency at a medical center.  I was distracted by thinking about what might be happening there, and also feeling pressure to fix the server problem and get back on schedule with the trike (I'm being evicted from the shop as soon as the owner realizes I'm still there).  But at this point I'm going two steps backwards without going any steps forward.  Maybe I need to give up for the day and try again tomorrow.    :winer

Gimme some feedback.  Right now I'm questioning my ability to take a nap without supervision.

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Battle Damage (Jimmy Van content)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
Nobody was hurt.  You'll get through this.  Just kind of sucks right now.  Tomorrow is a new day.
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »
 Step back , take a deep breath , and realize that after 45 years maybe the odds just caught up with you . Yeah , just one accident myself , minor , bothered me for a month or so , ten years on , accident free , it will be alright David .

Dusty

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »
Everything in the big picture, is okay RK.  You had a minor fender bender, and ended your perfect driving record.  Don't worry about perfection, its over rated. There was only one perfect man and it got him crucified. ;)  The career path of perfection ain't that great.  :D  With all the obstacles you have overcome, and are overcoming, this is just a fart in a hurricane. Hang in there, you're doing great. One little slip is not a fall from grace. As for naps. I like mine supervised by Lorraine. ::) :o 
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »
You're probably a better and safer driver then anyone I know.

Don't sweat it.

No harm, no foul.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
Everything in the big picture, is okay RK.  You had a minor fender bender, and ended your perfect driving record.  Don't worry about perfection, its over rated. There was only one perfect man and it got him crucified. ;)  The career path of perfection ain't that great.  :D  With all the obstacles you have overcome, and are overcoming, this is just a fart in a hurricane. Hang in there, you're doing great. One little slip is not a fall from grace. As for naps. I like mine supervised by Lorraine. ::) :o 

Lorraine got all that cross-stitched on one sampler?   :bow   :D

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
Lorraine got all that cross-stitched on one sampler?   :bow   :D

Yup.  :D
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:59:50 PM »
Like the man said, perfection is overrated, you are still out performing most of us here.  Get some sleep and try again tomorrow.

If you get an another fender bender tomorrow, maybe you should stay on the porch for a while.   ;D

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 10:10:35 PM »
At least you were in your van and not traveling on 2 or 3 wheels. Just be glad like the rest of us here that no one was hurt.
North Carolina

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 10:31:59 PM »
It mainly takes time to get over traumatic events.  We play them over and over in our heads, but that really doesn't help much.  Ten years from now the event won't seem very important.  Today what helps most is to stay busy with other things and not dwell on it.  Easy to say, hard to do.  A little melatonin helps us old farts sleep when our minds are racing.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 12:14:44 AM »
 No good deed goes unpunished.  Same for perfect records.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 07:09:44 AM »
It happens to most of us at some point in our loves no matter how careful. You got off light. This last year I changed lanes at 30mph in town and side swiped a PU. Only my pride was injured. The one time I really went weak kneed was in 2001 when my wife was in the hospital literally on her death bed and I was an emotional mess. I changed lanes on the way to the hospital and nearly took out a couple on a motorcycle. Lucky for me they were much more focussed than me an maneuvered out of the way while hitting the horn. I shook awhile after that one.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 09:39:10 AM »
Use it as a learning experience . Something like that maybe will save you from a far worse one. Still sucks though.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

dilligaf

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 09:53:58 AM »
WOW!  Didn't think there that that many cars in Sitka.  ;D   Glad you weren't hurt.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 11:41:29 AM »
You'll be fine. I've been in that position and took a while to figure out what it all meant.

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 03:20:04 PM »
Quote from: rodekyll link=topic=75078.msg1179067#msg1179067 date=142577937

[b
I'm just sick over it.  I mean physically nauseated and menatally devastated.  I have taken a lot of pride in a perfect driving record and no hits in 45 years of driving.[/b]

Welcome to the human race.
With everyone walking and talking, it's just an inconvenience.
You will now triple check intersections...... ;D

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
Rodekylla! ~;
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »
Like you, I had my first time ever event... just yesterday. Maybe its a northern thing...
These kind and empathetic folk offered their support without judgement... just as they (and I) are doing for you.
45 years prior to one minor event? Seems pretty impressive to me.
Get the trike finished so you can get on over to Yukon this summer. Okay?
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
As long as you and the other driver are OK, no worries. Now you can go another 45 years without having an accident  ;)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »
Sucks to mess up and it's your fault. Takes a bit to forgive yourself. But you have a good record so one gimme is due. I guess the only to take from this is that you now know you have a blind side that you need to be aware of going forward. You can be thankful the price to learn this was not greater. So if you learn from this, then no foul. When you can, move forward. Don't beat yourself up too much.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »
You are obviously upset by this event RK. Take a day or two for downtime until you recover from that and get things in proportion. Don't try to do anything you can put off for that period, especially if its important.

The event itself and any minor consequences are unimportant, the fact that you are upset about it is important.

It's just a bump in the path.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:23:59 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here