Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398548 times)

barenekd

Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
Those heads don't have dual plugs,dual ignition is a must for a manned aircraft.

Not for homebuilts. You can use any engine you want, Model A Fords, Henderson 4s, Volkswagons, et al.
Bare

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
Not for homebuilts. You can use any engine you want, Model A Fords, Henderson 4s, Volkswagons, et al.
Bare
Remember those Triumph MC engine powered Gyrocopters ? Cut my teeth on Triumphs , do NOT want to fly in a rig with a Limey motor  :D
Dusty

dibble

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
Remember those Triumph MC engine powered Gyrocopters ? Cut my teeth on Triumphs , do NOT want to fly in a rig with a Limey motor  Cheesy
Dusty

Rolls-Royce Merlin?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:43:06 PM by dibble »

cpallen

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
We could take up a collection to sweeten the deal a little. Paypal gifts anyone?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
Rolls-Royce Merlin?
OK OK , I will give you that one , and maybe those English "Ford and Chevy" open wheel racing engines .  :D
Dusty

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

Offline auzziguzzi

• Gosling
  • This ain't no dress rehersal
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
The Ultralight has the heads mounted the opposite way round to the engine shown earlier in the thread. 

I assume the heads are symmetrical (not identical though) thereby allowing this kind of flexibility.

I'd like to see this engine in a lighter mini-Stelvio, too.   In Australia, a 650 variant would allow our learner riders into the fold (660cc limit for new riders).  Right now, there is no new Guzzi offering for them in Oz. 

Bring back the NTX650, I say.

John

'96 Sport 1100c (65,000 km)
'83 V50 III (80,000 km)
'06 Norge (162,000 km)
'90 NTX 650 (66,666 km)
'06 Breva 1100 (84,505 miles) SOLD 3/3/2022

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
The guy is supposed to send me pictures tonight. There's no computer. I would say it is a fair hill to climb to put it in the Lario.. but doable. Probably ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »
The Ultralight has the heads mounted the opposite way round to the engine shown earlier in the thread. 

I assume the heads are symmetrical (not identical though) thereby allowing this kind of flexibility.

From distant memory I think the hunters or a variation of them had a push pull setup with the Guzzi motors ie one at the front one at the rear so by rights there should also be a proper cam for them readily available.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »
From distant memory I think the hunters or a variation of them had a push pull setup with the Guzzi motors ie one at the front one at the rear so by rights there should also be a proper cam for them readily available.

Yeah, but they could all be the same rotation. <shrug> There's not a whole lot of info on them that I can find. This one is a pusher..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »
Bare
Its not about whats legal but whats senseable. There is a good reason why commercial aircraft have dual ignition and fuel systems.Only a fool would chance a single system.
Ciao 
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 05:42:25 AM »
Its not about whats legal but whats senseable. There is a good reason why commercial aircraft have dual ignition and fuel systems.Only a fool would chance a single system.
Ciao 

I was foolish with a VW conversion in Mouser (the yellow and green low wing in this thread) for several years. Flew all over the Midwest single ignition, but it was a magneto that could be inspected and maintained rigorously. <shrug> Since then, I've added a secondary ignition using a Dyna S and 10mm plugs.
I'd say flying single ignition is considerably less foolish than riding a motorcycle if you get right down to it.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 06:04:06 AM »
I was foolish with a VW conversion in Mouser (the yellow and green low wing in this thread) for several years. Flew all over the Midwest single ignition, but it was a magneto that could be inspected and maintained rigorously. <shrug> Since then, I've added a secondary ignition using a Dyna S and 10mm plugs.
I'd say flying single ignition is considerably less foolish than riding a motorcycle if you get right down to it.. ;D

;D

Did the gentlemen send you any pictures Chuck?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 06:28:36 AM »
;D

Nope. I'm guessing that he's picture challenged.  ;D You'd think with a fish on the line, he'd be reeling... ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 07:10:33 AM »
:+1 C'mon Chuck , be a hero .
Dusty

:+1 :+1

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

It would be really cool if someone could get 3D laser scans of the heads and then go to a 3D print shop to get casting molds made.
They'd make some nice hot-rod heads for smallblocks!

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
Well all I can say chuck after 38 years as a certifying engineer in the aviation industry is "better you than me".
Just out of interest chuck, why go to the dual ignition if safety is not a concern?
Ciao
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:36:28 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:25 AM »

Just out of interest chuck, why go to the dual ignition if safety is not a concern?
Ciao

Ignition systems have come a long way since the 1930's, unfortunately a lot of light aircraft motors haven't, the dual plugs also give a much cleaner burn aircraft engines normally been low revving and large capacity to create HP.

Anyway back to the motor the one mounted in the in the ultralight is a pusher but the one pictured from the Guzzi museum seems to be a puller (for the want of a term that doesn't amuse 15year old boys). Assuming they stick with the age old Guzzi tradition of keeping the exhaust valves in the maximum airflow So seems to be pretty fair bet there are two versions of the camshaft.

Cheese

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
;D

I suppose there may be more places in Indiana to put down in an emergency than here in upstate NY?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
Well all I can say chuck after 38 years as a certifying engineer in the aviation industry is "better you than me".
Ciao

Phil, I don't think anything I said even intimated that safety *wasn't* a concern. When I built this airplane 33 years ago (!) a crankshaft driven single ignition was the only thing available for a VW conversion. I eventually used a Dyna S driven from the same location as the distributor on a VW engine. That gives true dual ignition. A crank triggered Dyna S firing 10mm plugs could be retrofited to the Guzzi aero engine for dual ignition, but you'd have to carry two batterys for a true dual system. I would do that. A magneto is extremely reliable, and can be inspected, etc. Electronic ignition is reliable, too... but... it can suddenly fail without symptoms. I have never seen a magneto fail without talking to you...
It's a moot point, anyway. The only reason to put the Guzzi in Mouser would be the novelty of doing it. There's no performance gain over my reliable  ;D VW.

I suppose there may be more places in Indiana to put down in an emergency than here in upstate NY?
Yep. ;D The midwest is an experimental aviation hotbed for a reason. That said, Mouser glides at 90mph, and an off airport landing would require picking a really good field to keep from pranging her.. ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
:+1 :+1

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

It would be really cool if someone could get 3D laser scans of the heads and then go to a 3D print shop to get casting molds made.
They'd make some nice hot-rod heads for smallblocks!

I don't think that you know how much that I don't know.. ;D The combustion chambers and external shape would be a no brainer, but is it even feasible to digitize all the internal stuff?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
I don't think that you know how much that I don't know.. ;D The combustion chambers and external shape would be a no brainer, but is it even feasible to digitize all the internal stuff?

I believe there are a few services out there to X-Ray scan parts to CAD drawings... http://www.jgarantmc.com/ct-services

I bet they are expensive though! You may want to take donations to get that kind of work done. The other method is to cut the casting in half in order to laser scan it, but that is sacrilege eh?  :o

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:11 AM »
I believe there are a few services out there to X-Ray scan parts to CAD drawings... http://www.jgarantmc.com/ct-services

I bet they are expensive though! You may want to take donations to get that kind of work done. The other method is to cut the casting in half in order to laser scan it, but that is sacrilege eh?  :o

Uh...yeah. That is some seriously expensive technology.  :o Remember the problems Iceblue had just getting something as simple as valves made? ;D What we need is someone with an inside to the Guzzi factory to talk them into making up some heads. They Shirley  ;) haven't thrown away the tooling..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Uh...yeah. That is some seriously expensive technology.  :o Remember the problems Iceblue had just getting something as simple as valves made? ;D What we need is someone with an inside to the Guzzi factory to talk them into making up some heads. They Shirley  ;) haven't thrown away the tooling..

With the military changing over to diesel power (so that everything can run off a single fuel, Jet-A civilian fuel, or JP-5 (I think) military fuel), the Guzzi powered ones will be, if they haven't already been, converted to diesel or retired.   Once that happens, there is no need for spares, and Guzzi will likely "retire" the tooling.   Maybe we should get them to do one last run of heads for us before they do that.    ::) :BEER:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »
With the military changing over to diesel power (so that everything can run off a single fuel, Jet-A civilian fuel, or JP-5 (I think) military fuel), the Guzzi powered ones will be, if they haven't already been, converted to diesel or retired.   Once that happens, there is no need for spares, and Guzzi will likely "retire" the tooling.   Maybe we should get them to do one last run of heads for us before they do that.    ::) :BEER:

Yeah, they are "retired", this one is mil surplus. He no doubt bought it by the pound. Still, I'll bet Guzzi still has the tooling. They Shirley know that the Heron head has outlived it's usefulness, and if they plan on continuing the small block, an upgrade is long overdue.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Cheese

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »

On the other hand, if there are more than several of these things being "retired" then they may be obtainable at auction or other millitary outlet?

Peter

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
With the military changing over to diesel power (so that everything can run off a single fuel, Jet-A civilian fuel, or JP-5 (I think) military fuel), the Guzzi powered ones will be, if they haven't already been, converted to diesel or retired. 
On the Hunter drone, they have been replaced with diesels derived from the engine of the Smart.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
There has to be some kind of "cheap" and creative way we could measure and recreate the heads without the expensive x-ray scan... I'll do a little bit of research as I can.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »

That happened several years ago.  The UAVs that had been Guzzi powered were converted to Mercedes diesel power.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
There has to be some kind of "cheap" and creative way we could measure and recreate the heads without the expensive x-ray scan... I'll do a little bit of research as I can.

Ok, once you get the digital data, who you gonna get to make the heads? Cheap, of course.. ;D
I used to do engineering modelmaking for GM back in another lifetime, and making 100 relatively complex parts from scratch is/was hellaciously expensive. I realize that things have changed since the 90s, but I'll bet it is still out of reach for us Guzzi Guys.
Believe me, Joe.. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, and I hope I'm wrong.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
Ok, once you get the digital data, who you gonna get to make the heads? Cheap, of course.. ;D
I used to do engineering modelmaking for GM back in another lifetime, and making 100 relatively complex parts from scratch is/was hellaciously expensive. I realize that things have changed since the 90s, but I'll bet it is still out of reach for us Guzzi Guys.
Believe me, Joe.. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, and I hope I'm wrong.

Ah, but it's already beginning to drizzle Chuck...  ;)

We'll just need to find more of these milsurp engines is all...  ;D

I think the key though would be to at least document anything we can about the design, so that in whatever distant future there is... the possibility of making replica heads would be there and we would have the data to produce those replicas. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:55:00 AM by Unkept »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here