Author Topic: Bob Weaver Motorsports Helps a Rider On The Road  (Read 1970 times)

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
Bob Weaver Motorsports Helps a Rider On The Road
« on: July 23, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
While on my way to take my aunt to dinner in western New York this past Tuesday, I took a nail in the back tire of my Stelvio.  I got it plugged in Pennsylvania but the tech at the shop did not express confidence - pretty good sized nail did a lot of damage wiggling around. He told me to keep an eye on it and by the time I got to the Niagara area, I was of a mind to replace the brand new Metzeler Tourance Next I had just put on the bike.

Bob Weaver Motorsports in North Tonowanda, NY was the second dealer I went to in search of tires - the first was no help at all. Lee in the service department confirmed my suspicion that a plugged tire in the July heat on the Interstate was less than optimal. "No bueno" were his words. My problem was not only that I needed a tire but I needed it no later than tomorrow because I had to return to work 900 miles away in Georgia in 3 days.

Kevin the service manager made several calls trying to locate a Tourance Next for me but had no luck. I had to go with a new set of Pirellis - the new set because I won't mismatch tires if at all possible. Kevin got them overnighted from Parts Unlimited and had them installed at noon the next day.

While waiting, I overheard customers being told the next available appointment for service was August 24th yet these guys made an exception and helped a rider on the road. Bob Weaver Motorsports does not handle Moto Guzzi but they went out of their way to take good care of Stonkzilla and get me home. I'm grateful.  They would probably tell you they did it just to stop my whining - first class guys!

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
Re: Bob Weaver Motorsports Helps a Rider On The Road
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
While on my way to take my aunt to dinner in western New York this past Tuesday, I took a nail in the back tire of my Stelvio.  I got it plugged in Pennsylvania but the tech at the shop did not express confidence - pretty good sized nail did a lot of damage wiggling around. He told me to keep an eye on it and by the time I got to the Niagara area, I was of a mind to replace the brand new Metzeler Tourance Next I had just put on the bike.

Bob Weaver Motorsports in North Tonowanda, NY was the second dealer I went to in search of tires - the first was no help at all. Lee in the service department confirmed my suspicion that a plugged tire in the July heat on the Interstate was less than optimal. "No bueno" were his words. My problem was not only that I needed a tire but I needed it no later than tomorrow because I had to return to work 900 miles away in Georgia in 3 days.

Kevin the service manager made several calls trying to locate a Tourance Next for me but had no luck. I had to go with a new set of Pirellis - the new set because I won't mismatch tires if at all possible. Kevin got them overnighted from Parts Unlimited and had them installed at noon the next day.

While waiting, I overheard customers being told the next available appointment for service was August 24th yet these guys made an exception and helped a rider on the road. Bob Weaver Motorsports does not handle Moto Guzzi but they went out of their way to take good care of Stonkzilla and get me home. I'm grateful.  They would probably tell you they did it just to stop my whining - first class guys!

That is so great.  I had a Honda dealer a bit west of Palm Springs fix a broken valve stem on my BMW that I had towed to their shop a half hour after they closed.  They were wrapping up paper work for a sale, and the tech stayed and fixed my bike and got me on the road.  I gave the tech a $100 bill.  On a Friday night.

Now that was service for a traveler.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
Nice.  All Harley shops I know of will accommodate travelers in need. 

When touring on my Japanese bikes I have had to search out tires from my hotel and then ride to the dealer who had them.  As far away as 250 miles one time up in Wisconsin. 

I had a Honda shop repair my still under warranty Kawasaki once and Kawasaki actually reimbursed me.

If the tire was near new I would have pulled it and patched it from the inside and went on as long as the puncture was fairly close to center line.  Properly patched tires will last the life of the tire.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
Good to know. I am about 70 miles from them but never visited. When our Guzzi dealer passed away a few years ago, Bob Weaver picked up his Ducati franchise but not Guzzi which went to another dealer.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
Nice.  All Harley shops I know of will accommodate travelers in need. 

Maybe if they riding a Harley. I stopped at Harley dealer in Cheyenne, WY a couple years for an oil change on my Goldwing. He said he couldn't do it because he didn't have the right oil. I told him I would get some at the Autozone across the street but he didn't want anything to do with me.

Pete

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 01:37:37 PM »
If the tire was near new I would have pulled it and patched it from the inside and went on as long as the puncture was fairly close to center line.  Properly patched tires will last the life of the tire.

That's a good thing to do if you're doing it yourself, but I've never met a shop yet, not even the good helpful ones, that will take on the liability of internally patching a tire ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
That's a good thing to do if you're doing it yourself, but I've never met a shop yet, not even the good helpful ones, that will take on the liability of internally patching a tire ....

Lannis

I have had tire shops to a patch for cash. No paperwork, no liability.   I have never seen a motorcycle shop do a plug.  The OP found one though.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
Maybe if they riding a Harley. I stopped at Harley dealer in Cheyenne, WY a couple years for an oil change on my Goldwing. He said he couldn't do it because he didn't have the right oil. I told him I would get some at the Autozone across the street but he didn't want anything to do with me.

Pete

Now that is funny Pete.  They would have told you that they don't have the metric tools either.  It is definitely easier to find an open Harley dealer or independent shop than a metric one.  Why didn't you just do the oil change in the Autozone parking lot?  Would have cost you less even if you bought a drain pan and funnel.  Autozone loans tools too.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »
Now that is funny Pete.  They would have told you that they don't have the metric tools either.  It is definitely easier to find an open Harley dealer or independent shop than a metric one.  Why didn't you just do the oil change in the Autozone parking lot?  Would have cost you less even if you bought a drain pan and funnel.  Autozone loans tools too.

I have to remember that. Never thought they would allow that. I was ready to, for sure. I ended up in Sidney, Nebraska at a Honda MC and BIG, I mean BIG tractor outfit. They took care of me, no problem. Then stopped at the original Cabelas.

Pete

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
I was born and raised about 3 miles from here. Traveled the powerlines on dirt bikes to get around.
Great fun!
Weaver's place is a "must see" as the back warehouse area is full of all manor of low mileage motorcycles and snowmobiles from the late '60's onward,
including bikes and sleds STILL IN THE CRATE. Even has vintage 2stroke race bikes!
 :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
OMG,tazio! Vintage 2 stroke race bikes? There will always be room for those.  Good fortune,  R3~   

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »
Tazio and Poor Bob grew up in the same place, no where near GA
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
Auto zoo is really good about folks doig quick repairs in their lot. Last spring i visited a friend in Knoxville and we took his hot rod to the Coker Tire shindig. As we got into town the alternator quit. Found an az they loaned us tools andcwe removed it. They didnt have one and couldnt get one. Advance was across the street and they got us one. Put it on...attery dead. They gave us a jump and thanked us for stopping by.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
Tazio and Poor Bob grew up in the same place, no where near GA
Just down the road is the old Wurlitzer building, she's still there.
Not far from the Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum in North Tonawanda..
This area, what a wonderful place to have spent my youth!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
That is so great.  I had a Honda dealer a bit west of Palm Springs fix a broken valve stem on my BMW that I had towed to their shop a half hour after they closed.  They were wrapping up paper work for a sale, and the tech stayed and fixed my bike and got me on the road.  I gave the tech a $100 bill.  On a Friday night.

Now that was service for a traveler.

Yes - same type guys at Bob Weaver Motorsports. Been around bikes their whole lives, genuine motorcycle people. If I move up there, I will definitely buy a bike from them.

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 06:08:57 PM »
I was born and raised about 3 miles from here. Traveled the powerlines on dirt bikes to get around.
Great fun!
Weaver's place is a "must see" as the back warehouse area is full of all manor of low mileage motorcycles and snowmobiles from the late '60's onward,
including bikes and sleds STILL IN THE CRATE. Even has vintage 2stroke race bikes!
 :thumb:

Very cool, Tazio! I'm a Lewiston kid...

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »
Town of Tonawanda here. About 3 miles south of NT. Bought my Norton from Gene Conway in NT in 1971 if you guys are old enough to remember him.

Pete

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »
Good Lord, she's a small world!
 North Tonawanda (Town of Wheatfield).
Anyone remember Walter A Kohl's motorcycle shop in Lockport?
He and his wife dealed in Moto-Guzzis and had cache's around town in multiple buildings.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 09:12:40 PM »
Before Kohl moved to the city he was located on Transit Rd near Millersport. I bought my 350 Yamaha from him in '68. A fire there destroyed a lot of motorcycles including Goldstars and Ariels.  Bib overalls and always had a wad of cash bigger than your fist. He and Anna were genuine characters.

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here