Author Topic: V7iii - things that need attention from the start  (Read 16710 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: V7iii - things that need attention from the start
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »
Some thoughts.  Like Kev mentioned, the reserve light comes on about 60 miles before you run out, which is longer than most bikes I've ridden.  At first I thought it was weird and was going to modify the sensor.  But I've come to strongly prefer the 60 mile warning.   With a 60 mile warning, I can forget about tracking total mileage since fill up.  I can now just ride in peace, until the light comes on, and then I only have to worry about tracking the 60 miles remaining.  And a 60 mile warning means you have plenty of warning, even if the light comes on after you passed the last exit 5 miles earlier.  Just go to the next one.  With only a 30 mile warning, you might be tempted to turn around and go back.   

Second, if you or the service guy are going to be at the driveshaft, I would lube them.  Personally, I see no reason why it would be better to not lubricate a shaft that is exposed to wear from hammering, rotation, and sliding forces, and also from corrosion and fretting due to moisture.  I do not see why a BMW shaft should be lubricated but a Guzzi shaft should not be.  Unlike an exposed shaft on a tractor that is admittedly exposed to dust and hay, the shaft on a Guzzi is protected and the grease cannot be contaminated by outside debris.

The swing-arm bearings on my 2013 are a sealed unit.  No need to mess with them.

For the first 5,000 miles or so, I suggest you get some blue Locktite and monitor all the nuts and bolts for tightness.  They can vibrate loose.   In particular, the stop bolt for the rear brake pedal, the single bolts that clamp the gear shift mechanism onto their shafts, and the bolts that hold the side panels on.   I've also had the front brake mounting caliper bolts all come loose, as well as the rear passenger peg mounting brackets. 

Also monitor the nuts that hold the exhaust header onto the front of the cylinder, as well as the exhaust clamps on the cross-over and the mufflers.   Mine would loosen periodically.  But don't lock-tite those; instead just cooper anti-sieze on them.
This is where I am with the spline lube thing, too.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline TexMexStrada

• New Egg
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
Thanks for the additional thoughts including "just ride the thing!".   :laugh:   Interesting reading the discussions on the u joints and CV joints.

I just laid the money down for the bike (and some farkles).  If folks are curious, the splines were sufficiently greased.  Also, the recall had already been done on this bike.

The farkles or necessities (depending on your point of view) are:
  • Center stand
  • Heated Grips.  I've had Oxford before but Koso Apollo's were mentioned and what I decided to go with.  It'll be interesting to see what I think of them in action.
  • Various battery tender stuff
  • LED brake light kit (extra lights in the rear tied into the braking system)
  • ROX risers.  Short arms and want a slightly more upright position.  We'll see what I think.
  • Metal fuel filter.
  • Pazzo adjustable levers
  • Givi engine guards

I'm also going to get some hand guards (to cut the wind), a windscreen (also to cut the wind ;) ), and some luggage but still sorting all that out.

A big +1 on the Pazzo Adjustable Levers. I danced around them for 9,000 miles before finally pulling the trigger :clock: and boy should I have done that modification right of the bat :whip2:.
Great workmanship and significant improvement in the sense of control as well as comfort (I like my levers really close to the bar, so I run them on the "1" slot). I got the "Short" version which, at 5 inches, is actually in the goldilocks zone, where you, based upon the way you set their location, are able to use 2 fingers, 3 fingers, or, if you have skinny fingers and gloves, even 4 fingers.
They really improve your riding experience/enjoyment, and the option to choose from a variety of colors is the visual cherry on top (I went all black).

If you are interested to see them on the bike, I shot a video review your are welcome to check out here: https://youtu.be/i8Q59ER0Tw4
TexMexStrada

2018 V7III Stone

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2020, 09:00:34 PM »
For the first 5,000 miles or so, I suggest you get some blue Locktite and monitor all the nuts and bolts for tightness.  They can vibrate loose.   In particular, the stop bolt for the rear brake pedal, the single bolts that clamp the gear shift mechanism onto their shafts, and the bolts that hold the side panels on.   I've also had the front brake mounting caliper bolts all come loose, as well as the rear passenger peg mounting brackets. 

Kiwi Kev nearly lost the front fender on his V9, rattled the bolts out on his return from first service so I pulled mine off and Locktited the screws back in.
Remove the battery terminals and apply some Vaseline

Great milage on the V7iii, I get 400 KM (250 Miles) on a tank
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:06:21 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here