Author Topic: TOWFIT Takes Over from Tucker  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
TOWFIT Takes Over from Tucker
« on: October 27, 2021, 04:23:04 PM »

In 2000, we bought our daughter’s 1993 Toyota base pickup truck from her: 130K miles, no A/C, P/S, or much of anything else.  She had named it Tucker, after a boyfriend who later fell by the wayside, but the name stuck.   :laugh:

In the next 20 or so years, we put a mere 100k (but harder) miles on it.   :bow:

Then, on her [age deleted  :thewife:] birthday earlier this year, we gave it back to her.  The family had, upon retiring from the Army, moved to N.C. and they need a truck. 

Nice, but it then left us without a tow vehicle for the MC-10 motorcycle trailer I had bought a couple of years ago.

Hmmmmm.  Who wouldn’t want an excuse to buy another truck?  Actually, I don’t need a larger carbon footprint — or all the costs and taxes that come with it.

So, we just bought a new Honda Fit, but installing a trailer hitch voids the warranty.  Ah, but we kept our 2009 Fit, a C-130 of little cars.  It has 260K+ miles, but still runs great.   Sure don't care about the warranty!

An (unofficial) Fit forum — https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/ — had (surprise) lots of mixed views on the risks/benefits scale.  Some "doom & gloom & you’re going to die" and some “they do it in Europe and Asia; you’ll be fine.”

I went with Door 2.   :grin:

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: TOWFIT Takes Over from Tucker
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 04:57:53 PM »
She dumped Tucker the boyfriend...
Are you sure you spelled his name  correctly..... :popcorn: :wink:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:54:40 PM by Huzo »

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 04:59:46 PM »
I'd have that toy truck over that Lotus Europa any day !
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 04:25:04 AM »
Nice that you live in a part of the world where the Toyota isn't eaten by rust! You'll note that you can't even buy a Toyota any more with the standard cab, long bed, and four-cylinder engine; I guess that just made too much sense and lasted too long . . .

I'm not personally familiar with the older Fit, but my wife has a 2015 Fit (like your newer one) and I like it better than any small car I've ever driven or owned.

Of course, Honda no longer sells the Fit in the US. Like that old Toyota, too practical, so sales aren't sufficiently high  :sad:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 04:25:04 AM »

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 06:34:01 AM »
She dumped Tucker the boyfriend...
Are you sure you spelled his name  correctly..... :popcorn: :wink:

That is funny.  Sort of.   :laugh:

Seriously, took a moment to figure out; obviously, those days of being an “armed” dad are long gone.  Now, with 13 (!) grandkids — 5 girls, all soon of “that age” — those dads are the ones who ensure that today’s Tuckers are mindful of balancing the tug of hormones with due regard to a father’s imperatives, too.   :wink:

I'd have that toy truck over that Lotus Europa any day!

Not mine, but does belong to a member here, Mike Craven.  Mike and Sue were extraordinarily generous to Kathi and me when we made our monthly week-long runs to Atlanta from our home at the top of Virginia.  They let us use their luxurious apartment over that Lotus for 5+ years! 

But, Mike might is fond of that Europa … and his Saabs Jags, and more including, of course, Guzzis.  His latest Lotus is a beaut.

Nice that you live in a part of the world where the Toyota isn't eaten by rust! You'll note that you can't even buy a Toyota any more with the standard cab, long bed, and four-cylinder engine; I guess that just made too much sense and lasted too long . . .

I'm not personally familiar with the older Fit, but my wife has a 2015 Fit (like your newer one) and I like it better than any small car I've ever driven or owned.

Of course, Honda no longer sells the Fit in the US. Like that old Toyota, too practical, so sales aren't sufficiently high  :sad:

Yes, Fits are amazing vehicles.  As I understand it, Honda saw continued sales here as eating away at HRV and CRV more profitable platforms, thus its disappearance from the Americas but continued production in Europe and Asia.  They are probably right as we were about to pull trigger of CRV or Passport when the little red Fit winked at us.   :bow:

That little truck had no rust at all, and that after two years as a daily winter commuter at Rock Island Arsenal!  It spent most of its “life” (so far) in Atlanta, but even here in Frederick County, Virginia, VDOT does things to the roads that aren’t kind to metal vehicles if left unattended.  I may be just lucky as I had a Fiat 131 from 1977-83 that had no rust, either, after three years in northern Italy and three more at West Point, N.Y.  Really.

Giving Tucker back to our daughter was bittersweet … so many great memories:

Heading home this morning from our monthly Erie eldercare visit.  Good times, including lunch with Jim — KingOfFleece — and Kathi’s 99-YO dad.

Best,

Bill
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 09:31:02 AM »
As the happy owner of a stripped 2000 long bed Tundra, I think these trucks are significantly underrated.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »
Most of the ones in my area are usually owned by young guys and are beat up wrecks. However I saw a really nice one at the supermarket this morning.  Ran as nice as it looked.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
I looked for a 4x4 version for my son when he turned 16.  I could only find ones that were 10+years old with 300k+ miles and they still wanted over $10k!  Great trucks.
My daily is a 4Runner and it should last forever.
1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road Glide Special
2015 Harley Road King

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 05:50:39 PM »
Toyota diesel engine pickup with manual tranny=long, happy life
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »
Bill you got your money's worth out of Tucker!  Did Tucker recognize it's old owner?
But you had to feature Lotus?  Alfetta hurt my feelings (for several milliseconds).  And I'll bet twowings didn't know there's a Toyota diesel 6-speed M/T in the Evora.
Anyways Bill, I'll bet the other drivers will hardly notice TOWFIT compared to Tucker.  (because you can keep up with traffic)
Cheers,
Mike
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 07:44:26 AM »
Bill you got your money's worth out of Tucker!  Did Tucker recognize it's old owner?
But you had to feature Lotus?  Alfetta hurt my feelings (for several milliseconds).  And I'll bet twowings didn't know there's a Toyota diesel 6-speed M/T in the Evora.
Anyways Bill, I'll bet the other drivers will hardly notice TOWFIT compared to Tucker.  (because you can keep up with traffic)
Cheers,
Mike

Yes, Mike, the Fit is faster ... but not much.   :wink:  I'll still have folks flash me in the right lane, and they won't be saying "Hi, nice Guzzi," either.   :whip2:

Not sure if Tucker recognizes daughter Kerith, but even if so, might be puzzled by her family now.  She sent this pic of the clan -- minus her and hubby (who just bought a new Kubota; I never did like the guy  :wink: ).

So, Tucker may be out to pasture, but he's still working.   :bow:

Bill
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here