Author Topic: 2 bikes, 4 dead, in California head-on  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
2 bikes, 4 dead, in California head-on
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/southern-california-motorcycle-crash-4-killed

No way around it, this sucks. Too early to know what happened, but it seems the only vehicles involved are the bikes.

Be careful out among them.

Offline gthorpe

• New Egg
Re: 2 bikes, 4 dead, in California head-on
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »
This is horrible I pray for the victims and their families.
Glenn T.
2016 Eldorado 1400
2014 Ducati Monster 796

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:21:02 AM »
My son and I had just ridden there earlier in the morning.  one of my favorite rides.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:56:09 AM »
Well dang... that is terrible.

My prayers to the families and friends of the fallen, and to the EMTs and police who had to take care of the situation.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:56:09 AM »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »
I couldn't get the site to load so I don't know much of what happened but I suspect they were distracted watching the other crash and then crashed themselves . Yesterday There was a motorcycle fatality near here when a stolen Jeep was being chased near New Richmond and he hit and killed the rider and fled but was caught. Sib, Jc85, I saw this on Fox9,  I don't have a link so just disregard this as fake news if it offends yourself. I only post it as a caution to be aware. I did find a link and posted it below
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:44:17 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:18:18 AM »

Would be nice to know what happened, in order to learn from it.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:51:52 AM »
Speeding bike, two up, passes a car on a twisty canyon two-lane and runs head-on into another two-up bike.

https://ktla.com/2019/07/07/4-killed-in-crash-involving-motorcycle-in-modjeska-canyon-area-in-silverado/
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
Speeding bike, two up, passes a car on a twisty canyon two-lane and runs head-on into another two-up bike.

https://ktla.com/2019/07/07/4-killed-in-crash-involving-motorcycle-in-modjeska-canyon-area-in-silverado/

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0MGs0Squ?pd=02FFo1CE&s=i0

Ok I was able to load that one, man that is tough.  The need to see, predict and evade quickly becomes apparent
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:49:36 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

jwinwi

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
That's rough... Sometimes the enemy is us.  :sad:

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »

Thanks.  Man, that's a tough one.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
Kirk

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
 I don't think that will buff out.  Two heavyweight bikes meeting head on breaks nearly everything on each bike, riders and passengers included.
 The bike doing the passing was speeding.  He took two innocent people with him.  All the bodies and bike parts are in one place so it must have been a near perfect head-on.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
I don't think that will buff out.  Two heavyweight bikes meeting head on breaks nearly everything on each bike, riders and passengers included.
 The bike doing the passing was speeding.  He took two innocent people with him.  All the bodies and bike parts are in one place so it must have been a near perfect head-on.

Three innocent; I doubt his passenger had little say in the matter. My wife wouldn't ride with me when the kids were young. She trusted me, but didn't want some asshole to make our kids orphans. Now, she tolerates me riding, but just lost interest in doing it herself. This kind of thing is what keeps her from joining me.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »
Sobering safety reminder. Thanks. I know that road well and have ridden it many times. There is a popular biker bar near there, Cook's Corner. The parking lot is usually about 90% cruisers and I have seen a lot of poor riding in the area.

If there is a lesson here, maybe it is to be hyper vigilant near known the known watering holes on twisty roads. And I don't mean just the ones frequented by cruiser-types. The sport-bike hangouts are potentially even more dangerous due to people riding at high speed and near the edge of their skill limits.

Stay safe out there.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 11:24:49 AM »
Harley guy coming from direction of Cooks corner late in the day. I bet anything the toxicology report comes back as impaired. Passed on a blind corner in an area that has had multiple bike wrecks, even has signage reminding to use caution. What a waste of life.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 12:09:22 PM »
One hazard that frightens me is the local squirrels going up the white line at 5 - 10 faster than traffic when we're all doing 80 on the So Cal freeways - all I have to do is not monitor my rear view mirrors because I am watching the cars in front of me, and next thing I know I have an unplanned for neighbor at my elbow.

When I move side to side in my lane space I have to assume one of these fools is in the neighborhood.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 02:48:54 AM »
^ yup, that has me, too, constantly worried.
Some idiots just seem to assume that you know they're there.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »
On the "Learn from the Mistakes of Others" front....

I know that there are millions of "road rage" and "accident fails" and "jackass" videos out there, especially from Russia where every third car seems to be vodka-fueled, and I don't pay much attention to those ...

... but it IS interesting and informative to watch American dash-cam videos.  Not the road-rage ones, anyone can avoid that situation, but just 'normal' driving.

I watch them from the standpoint of "pretending" that I'm driving down that road from the camera's perspective.  And I'm thinking "OK, something is going to happen here.   Can I see it coming?    Can I see the situation develop?   When would I have started slowing down or moving out of the way?  What if I were on my bike, what would I have done to avoid what's going to happen?"

In 90% of the situations, I wouldn't have gotten caught up in the crash.   In about 10% of them, I can't see how I would have avoided it.    It's like watching a training film.

Anyhow, it helps me learn what MIGHT happen.   Even if there's a small chance it might help, it's worth the time, I think.

Lannis   
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »
Once on a ride with good friends an unknown rider coming towards us ran wide and hit the bike directly in front on me head on.  My friend ahead was miraculously unhurt, the perpetrator had significant damage to one hand but nothing else.  Very lucky.  I do remember seeing the entire sky ahead filled with motorcycle parts and my fairing was scratched up as I rode through the shrapnel and over the top my friends BMW.  My foot got hung up on something which didn't do it a lot of good, but by some miracle I didn't fall off.  It could very easily have produced the same result as this accident, and was one of two near disasterous incidents I've had on the same stretch of road.

The thing with motorcycling is not to eliminate all risk, but to reduce the risk to the extent that something else gets you first.  I hope to be successful in this!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here