Author Topic: Quick question RE V7 turn indicators .  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
Quick question RE V7 turn indicators .
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »
The v7 III's have no flasher relay correct? As in if I throw 4 led's in the turn signals they will strobe unless I solder in resistors somewhere right? Would like to go full led all around but not enough to be cutting into the loom and soldering stuff. I think I already know the answer to this question since I've never heard the tick of a flasher relay on this bike, but I wanted to double check.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:24:13 PM by oldbike54 »
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »
I believe the flashing is done by the dash.
Yes it may interpret the low current of an LED as a burnt out lamp, just try LEDs in one side to see.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »
I believe the flashing is done by the dash.
Yes it may interpret the low current of an LED as a burnt out lamp, just try LEDs in one side to see.

What style of bulb while we're at it? The tail/brake is an 1157 right?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »
Quick answer, put something descriptive in your title like, "quick question, V7 signals.."
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »
Quick answer, put something descriptive in your title like, "quick question, V7 signals.."

Would but someone beat me to it!

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Quick question RE V7 turn indicators .
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:45:07 PM »
The V7C, at least, has a flasher unit. I remember seeing it. And I bought an LED compatible one early on that's still sitting in the parts box. I'm quite content with the stock lights, especially as now the dash indicator light is intermittent. It helps that with the low bars I can see the front indicators. Note that in 200,000km on the Classic & 100,000km on the Special, I may have replaced one indicator globe, and maybe 3 or 4 tail light globes. Not what I'd call a significant imposition.

I thought that one of the main benefits of changing over to LEDs was the reduced current draw, but the use of resistors (I have read) nullifies that advantage.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:17:41 PM »
I thought that one of the main benefits of changing over to LEDs was the reduced current draw, but the use of resistors (I have read) nullifies that advantage.

Only because the dash will interpret the lower (or zero) current as a fault.  I haven't looked, but perhaps it's something that could be tweaked by editing the setting with TuneECU or similar.  Newer models will come with LED as standard, it could be possible to retrofit the new map to the older model if everything else is equal.

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:43 AM »
The V7C, at least, has a flasher unit. I remember seeing it. And I bought an LED compatible one early on that's still sitting in the parts box. I'm quite content with the stock lights, especially as now the dash indicator light is intermittent. It helps that with the low bars I can see the front indicators. Note that in 200,000km on the Classic & 100,000km on the Special, I may have replaced one indicator globe, and maybe 3 or 4 tail light globes. Not what I'd call a significant imposition.

I definitely at least want the tail light and figured I might as well do the signals while I'm at it so everything matches but I don't want it enough to be soldering in resistors like I said. I wouldn't mind throwing in 4 leds quick to see what happens

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »
You should find what you need at Suoerbrightleds.com

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/motorcycle/
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »

Well the tail light and head light units are the ones with the real current draw, and even then mostly the head light.

I never changed to turn signal LEDs either because the advantages are more just size, style, and longer life. The only one that would matter to me is the last.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here