Author Topic: Why Does 2016 Stelvio Spec Sticker Under Pillion Seat Say .10/.15 for Valve Lash  (Read 982 times)

Bonaventure

Back when I did the valve lash adjust late last year I set them @ .15/.20 per the guide on here.  I feel a bit lax for only now noticing that the sticker on the underside of the pillion seat says .10/.15 for intake/exhaust.   

In was under the impression that .10/.15 was used when you've flashed in a custom tune that calls for that, and to set .15 intake / .20 exhaust for the stock map?

beetle

They should be set at 0.1/0.15 regardless of what map you're running. The values in the service manuals have been various values between 0.1 and 0.2 since the 8V appeared.

In most engines,the valve clearances close up as the engine gets hot, but the material that the rocker carriers are made of expands at a different rate. The net result is clearances opening up slightly as it gets hot. That is why we (Roper & I) recommend 0.1 & 0.15.

pete roper

The 8V is remarkably sensitive to even small changes in valve lash. Dont worry whether they are two thou larger or smaller, it won’t make any difference to reliability or cause any damage but if you’re running the stock map I would suggest clearing the trims after changing from one to the other.

If you’re running an aftermarket OL map check with the author to find out what settings they recommend. Just as a reminder to anyone running one of Mark’s maps, all the ones for the 8V’s are built for four and six thou, (0.1 & 0.15mm) for the reasons he states above.

Pete

Bonaventure

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I'm running the stock map, entire motorcycle is still stock, OEM paper air filter, etc.   I'll probably go in and set .004/.006 (.10/.15) tomorrow.

Wildguzzi.com

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here