Author Topic: Wheel bearings  (Read 1804 times)

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
Wheel bearings
« on: January 11, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »
I'm probably overthinking this but ball bearing classification for Guzzi wheel bearings, C3 quality or should I be looking for tighter tolerances?

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: Wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 08:36:58 PM »
C3 bearings have greater internal clearance to allow for heat expansion- like in a hot electric motor or an engine crankshaft. You don't want or need C3 bearings for motorsickle wheels.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 10:35:49 PM »
They came with the boggy 6000 series bearings Brian; can't see much advantage in going to C3.  Cheap enough to change them out each year if you wanted to.

I got 16 years out of the front ones on the Breva, the back one still original.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 11:14:08 PM »
I'm probably overthinking this but ball bearing classification for Guzzi wheel bearings, C3 quality or should I be looking for tighter tolerances?

Brian

As others have indicated C3 is not an issue of quality but internal clearance and normally specified for bearings that run hot and/or at elevated speeds. Ducati 2 valve cam bearing were always C3's but I've seen std clearances used as well. C3's are often a special order from the bearing shop also. I've sometimes seen C3's used on wheel bearings because the bore ID on the wheels was undersize for some reason and a std bearing was rotationally tight when installed. The biggest thing to check when replacing wheel bearings is that the bearing spacer isn't too short. Many a wheel bearing has been sacrificed at low mileages because of this from the factory.

Ciao 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:15:54 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 11:14:08 PM »

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 03:09:00 AM »
The biggest thing to check when replacing wheel bearings is that the bearing spacer isn't too short. Many a wheel bearing has been sacrificed at low mileages because of this from the factory.

Ciao

Indeed.  It is much better to have the spacer a little long rather than a little short.
1990 MilleGT

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 06:39:38 AM »
Thanks fellas! C3 seem to be the ones most readily available.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 07:10:44 AM »
Thanks fellas! C3 seem to be the ones most readily available.

Brian

Which bike are you working on Brian?  Greg Bender’s site has part number references for wheel bearings for Tontis and they are relatively easy to source for short money. I just bought several on Amazon.  Maybe he has references for other bikes.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »
I'm working on the alloy wheels for my Mille GT. I have the numbers 6004 & 6204. The C3 classification refers to internal tolerances of the bearing. C3 seems to be the most common and is greater tolerance than "normal" as mentioned above. I am sure normal tolerance bearings can be sourced from local bearing houses but if it is unnecessary or overkill why bother? I am going with the C3 class bearings.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 02:53:28 PM »
I'm working on the alloy wheels for my Mille GT. I have the numbers 6004 & 6204. The C3 classification refers to internal tolerances of the bearing. C3 seems to be the most common and is greater tolerance than "normal" as mentioned above. I am sure normal tolerance bearings can be sourced from local bearing houses but if it is unnecessary or overkill why bother? I am going with the C3 class bearings.

Brian

I've always found the opposite myself.

Ciao

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 03:13:57 PM »
  Another common use for the C3 clearance bearings were in many British motorcycle motors where the bearing would
frequently require tapping ( hammering) the inner race onto a shaft and then chilling that bearing afterwards and pressing
that assembly into a heated set of cases . So called normal clearance bearings would end up with very little running
clearances . As above , far from necessary on a wheel , but hey if that's what's available it's sure not going to be a problem .
Peter

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 04:16:26 PM »
I ordered 2 sets of NSK bearings, they arrived today. 8 bearings in all, all from India, 4 x 6004 2rs all C3, 4 x 6204 2rs all C1. They will get used. I am somewhat amused at the mix but I think all will be fine. C3 is tighter clearance than C1.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
I ordered 2 sets of NSK bearings, they arrived today. 8 bearings in all, all from India, 4 x 6004 2rs all C3, 4 x 6204 2rs all C1. They will get used. I am somewhat amused at the mix but I think all will be fine. C3 is tighter clearance than C1.

Brian

Just for the sake of clarity and information here, not trying to win any points but this got me questioning my previous experience/knowledge and for those mechanically anal types I checked my Koyo bearing handbook that I've always used as reference for calculating bearing loads/speeds and applications when making and modifying things.
A Koyo deep groove ball bearing is rated for internal clearance as follows for a 18-24mm id bearing. C2.....0-10 microns, Standard (unmarked) 5-20microns. C3....13-28 micron. C4...20-36microns and C5....28-48 microns. These are for unloaded bearings on the bench and there is a calculation to determine the loaded clearance as well. Bearing standards are basically universal so as a rule of thumb with the "C" clearance rating system the higher the number the greater the clearance. As can be seen there is some overlap.

Ciao   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:07:03 PM by lucky phil »

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 07:50:16 PM »
Phil, I think I might be misinterpreting the information I found here.

https://www.engineersedge.com/bearing/ball_bearings_tolerances.htm

I am also aware that there is more than one system using numbers to classify bearings, it is one of the reasons I asked in the first place. I think for my use these bearings will be "OK" but my knowledge is scant.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 08:10:20 PM »
If you have a question about any bearing, regardless of type, application, availability etc..... contact these folks, I am amazed as to the specialty bearings they can source.

https://www.123bearing.eu/

I have been purchasing all of the bearings I need from this supplier for the past 3 years, they are very helpful and will find any bearing you can think of. I have asked for advice on the two bacon slicer Guzzi motors I have recently rebuilt (250 and 500), a Ducati 860, Morini 350 and 500, Benelli 175 and 650, Aermacchi and many more. They also have supplied magneto and dynamo bearings and seals.

I measure the size, send pictures of the bearings I have extracted and they take it from there and get back to me in a day or two with cost options and reccomendations. They ship DHL express for a nominal fee and the bearings arrive in under a week from across the ocean.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 10:37:49 PM »
Phil, I think I might be misinterpreting the information I found here.

https://www.engineersedge.com/bearing/ball_bearings_tolerances.htm

I am also aware that there is more than one system using numbers to classify bearings, it is one of the reasons I asked in the first place. I think for my use these bearings will be "OK" but my knowledge is scant.

Brian

That link Brian I believe is for the bearing dimensional tolerances as opposed to the internal clearance tolerances. I agree that at the end of the day what you have will work out fine.

Ciao

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 04:58:49 PM »

This thread interested me in an academic sense, as I realized (for at least the third time today, not counting Kathi pointing out more deficiencies  :wink:) how little I know about so many things.   :cry:

But I then thought about the last time any of the bearings on my battle fleet had been replaced.  Let's just say it's been awhile.   :rolleyes:

So, to shift this thread's focus without hijacking it from its title, I would like to know what tools are needed to remove the old and install the new.

Do I have to remove the wheels to do this?

Just kidding to see who is reading this far.   :evil:

Seriously, I have nary a clue about this.  Figure that neither my Stornello nor V7 III (at 9K & 12K miles, respectively) are candidates. 

But the EV at 106K  -- tho it's had new bearings installed by dealers at least once -- the Norge at 85K (no known replacements) and Griso at 28K (ditto) are all on borrowed bearings, so to speak.   :shocked:

Now, not that I intend to lose my moto-virginity in doing this myself, but I would like to have the right tool in the hands of a bunch of Guzzisti who will be attending Moto Grappa Tech Days next month.

With that in mind, is anything at this link the sort of item I should get (for the volunteers  :grin:)?

https://tinyurl.com/Wheel-bearing-installer

If so, please recommend which.  If not, be kind.   :wink:

Grazie in anticipo!

Bill

Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 05:03:28 PM »
This thread interested me in an academic sense, as I realized (for at least the third time today, not counting Kathi pointing out more deficiencies  :wink:) how little I know about so many things. :cry:

Bill, you should check out my recent thread. Might be helpful:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=113741.0
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 05:51:14 PM »
Bill, you should check out my recent thread. Might be helpful:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=113741.0

Doh.

Completely missed that. 

Many thanks.   :bow:

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »
If I don't have a socket whose od matches the od of the bearing pretty closely to use as an installation driver, I go to the big box store and find a piece of PVC pipe or a PVC fitting to use as a driver. As long as you don't drive on the inside of the bearing or seal surface you should be OK. For removal I use a standard long punch and reach through the internal spacer cocking it off to one side and drive on the inner race, I never reuse bearings removed in this fashion.

Brian
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:12:20 PM by bmc5733946 »
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 09:13:38 PM »
If I don't have a socket whose od matches the od of the bearing pretty closely to use as an installation driver, I go to the big box store and find a piece of PVC pipe or a PVC fitting to use as a driver. As long as you don't drive on the inside of the bearing or seal surface you should be OK. For removal I use a standard long punch and reach through the internal spacer cocking it off to one side and drive on the inner race, I never reuse bearings removed in this fashion.

Brian

What Brian said. Spot on.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 07:51:34 AM »
Just be careful you don't gouge the hub and go side to side.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 08:40:56 AM »
Just be careful you don't gouge the hub;
go side to side.
kk

Just to make sure the sentence structure is clear, aye?

Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 09:08:19 AM »
I could have worded it better. I figured the procedure would be obvious.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Brand X

• Gosling

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here