Author Topic: lube question  (Read 389 times)

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
lube question
« on: December 01, 2022, 10:28:48 AM »
Greetings all, I have a question about the final drive capacity. I am bringing my CX100 to the road after a few years storage and in the process of changing all the fluids. I have the SP 1000 maintenance manual and it lists 3 levels for the rear drive, 8 1/2 oz. 8oz. and .3oz. Searched on line and can't find any info on topic. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:31:06 AM by ital4me »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: lube question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 10:51:27 AM »
My guess is 8oz oil ,1/2 oz molybdenum disulfide. I like Dow chemical’s type M gear guard, it’s the real stuff. Fill to level hole, ride until it’s at operating temp, half hour or so, open level hole, let it drain until it’s at the level of the lower part of the level hole and it’s done.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 11:47:41 AM »
Ok now that I have gone over it again it appears to me they are saying 8 1/2 ox. of gear lube or 8 oz. and 1/2 oz. moly. Does that sound right? Slow on the uptake here, I blame it on age. Thanks for the reply.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 06:10:03 PM »
  That's pretty much correct , I've always used the rear level screw to set the level . Has
worked for 1/4 million kilometers on my Le Mans 2 :) .  Peter
   Haven't used the moly di for the last 1/4 century.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 06:10:03 PM »

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 06:59:06 PM »
Wow that's a lot of miles! Congrats. I am sure I don't have that many miles on bikes period. I only drive the back roads of Vermont and New Hampshire A few hours at a time I never hit the highways or tour. Probably my loss but it's hard to get me to far from home. Sad I know.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 09:44:54 PM »
Make sure the rear end is oil tight before adding moly.  If it has to come apart it can get messy(er) with moly in there.  Of course an oil tight rear end is always important anytime moly is around or heaven forbid in there.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here