Author Topic: NGC - Nothing Stinks Your House Like Burnt Exploded Eggs  (Read 2215 times)

Bonaventure

NGC - Nothing Stinks Your House Like Burnt Exploded Eggs
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »
I am a moron.   :tongue:

Started a dozen eggs boiling to make hard boiled eggs one of my breakfast staples, lid on the pot to expedite the process.  Went out to garage for something, got sidetracked after deciding to quickly spray and wipe bugs off the front of the panniers.  Then went on to make a spot for them on the shelf (they're off the bike). Then this, then that, then pretty soon totally forget about the eggs on the stove until I hear a BANG from inside the house.  First thought is what has the cat done?  Then the Oh Sh_t moment arrives. 

Was in the garage long enough for the water to all boil out and eggs were basically cooking dry in the covered pot until a few detonated.  Holy Lord in Heaven what a mess and what an odor. 

All's well now and fortunately it was a cool mild day for opening the house up all day and into the evening. 

Stove needed cleaning anyhow, oh well.   

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC - Nothing Stinks Your House Like Burnt Exploded Eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »
I did the same thing, once.

Once.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:12:24 PM »
Sounds like the title of a Dave Barry book ....  :grin:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:14 PM »
You're making me laugh.

You should read the equivalent stories on the home distilling forums.

Got the device running, did not turn on the cooling lines because it wasn't heated up yet, took a phone call that turned out to be something serious that went on for a while, realized what you'd done and ran back to the shed to find ....

A propane flame burning under a kettle/device that is emitting an unrestricted mist of alcohol vapors, the shed cloudy inside from the build up of flammable vapor.

Diving through the potentially explosive cloud to cut off the propane, thinking " is this my final moment? Will my motion through the cloud be enough to trigger the ignition sequence? "
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:14 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:12 PM »
 Burned popcorn , it is even slightly toxic .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:03:14 AM »
I was shucking several pounds of shrimp when I got a call for help involving the boat and a scenic in a storm.  Waited out the storm with the guy I was helping and towed him in.  Between the distance, storm, and tow speed it took three days.  Do you know what shrimp left on the counter for three days smells like?  It smells like someone fumigated the house with eau-d'-ammonia and cumin.  It smells like all the cats in town took turns peeing and then spraying, and then turned the heat up before they left.

Now rotten goose eggs exploding in the house, that's special, too.  They give off a cloud of green something and reek of sulphur and ammonia.  I had a dog that liked to bring them inside as if "Hey -- look what that stupid goose left unattended."  Then he'd drop it for my approval.  I hate it when that happens.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »
My first two jobs involved working in sewage treatment plants, so I know and appreciate stinks.

In my opinion, NOTHING exceeds the otherworldly, cosmic, horrifying, choking, poisonous, gagging smell of a rutting billy goat .....

Not that you'd have one in your kitchen, though.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
If you want perfect boiled eggs, don't boil them.  Steam them.
Set the water to boil, and when it is at a good boil, put the eggs in a steamer (not in the water).  Cover and cook for 11 minutes for a soft boiled egg. 
And I guarantee that it will peel perfectly as well.

(oh, and sorry to hear about the accident)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:21:53 PM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:26 PM »
There's an interesting method.  I'll try it.  My go-to has been to bring the eggs to a boil and then remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 15minutes.  It makes good eggs, but no guarantees about the peeling.

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »
 I just bring the water to a rolling boil before dropping in the eggs , 3 minutes and they are done , and the shells peel right off .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:  BTDT.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
If you want perfect boiled eggs, don't boil them.  Steam them.
Set the water to boil, and when it is at a good boil, put the eggs in a steamer (not in the water).  Cover and cook for 11 minutes for a soft boiled egg. 
And I guarantee that it will peel perfectly as well.

(oh, and sorry to hear about the accident)

:1:. I can cook all kinds of stuff but the humble hard boiled eggs eluded me for years until I stumbles upon the steam method. A tip for ay hard boiled/steamed egg turn carton of eggs on its side a couple hours before you cook them. It centers the yolk in the egg.

As for stink....3 day of chili and Genny cream ale is a force to be reckoned with.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 10:18:14 PM »
I had an armadillo get run over in front of the house one time, but it was all in one piece, by the time I returned with a shovel someone had squished it into a 9 foot mess of 'dillo innards and shell. In a couple of days that was some of the gnarliest funk I'd ever experienced.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »
Once when I was posted to Haiti by the US Foreign Service, one of the local national employees heated a big plate of aged smoked fish for lunch in the cafeteria microwave.  He left it running for 8 minutes.  The stench was so intense that no one could work afterwards.  We had to evacuate the Embassy for 2 hours, with big fans at the doors.  To this day I can still recall that putrid "aroma":  It had overtones of rotten shrimp, decomposed road kill, skunk, old motor oil and creosote chimney encrustation.  Many Embassy employees vomited.  The most revolting odor ever to reach my nostrils.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Bonaventure

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »
... old motor oil and creosote chimney encrustation ...

ROFL !!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here