Author Topic: There's a freaky thing in my air cleaner!!  (Read 1367 times)

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
There's a freaky thing in my air cleaner!!
« on: October 06, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »

*Maybe it was a good thing that the old oil drain tube fell off the airbox drain spigot. 
I noticed a tiny spot of oil under the Breva the other day...and where the spot was located under the bike,  I sort of knew what the culprit was.  Today I reluctantly verified that my airbox oil drain tube had finally dried up and finally fell off.  I tried to reattach without removing the tank and airbox,  but didn't get anywhere fast.  I finally removed the fuel tank, opened the airbox, and loosened the rubber manifolds from the TB's.  Then I noticed some odd "snot" type substance clinging to the mouth of the snorkle.  It looked as though it had been sucked into the airbox.  After removing the airbox lid,  I noticed this odd material all over the inside of the air cleaner.  The only place I could locate ANYTHING that looked like it was constructed of the same material (color, texture, weight) was the covering for the fuel pump control wire.  It has a sort of a cloth(?) housing that has a second thin black ultra-thin coating on it.  Anyone have any thoughts of what this could be? 
Anyway...it looked like this material was sucked off the wire and covering and into the airbox boot.   
I cleaned out the offending material (luckily it was in large pieces).  The bike might run a bit better....now that it's getting the air it needs!!

richy
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:31:12 PM by rdbandkab »

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Here's a freaky thing in my air cleaner!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
Nevermind!!!

A simple look at the underside of the fuel tank solved the mystery.   Guzzi used some sort of spongy heat insulator with a thin black coating on the underside of the fuel tank.  It finally dried up enough to start getting sucked into the airbox.   Breva and Norge owners beware!
TIme to look for some new heat insulator!!!
richy
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:59:56 PM by rdbandkab »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
As they get older the thin layer comes off. Clean it all off and replace w/tin foil looking stuff used on other bikes.
If you never look in your airbox maybe you should!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
Heat Shield Barrier with Adhesive backing -  sheet 3sq ft.   

On its way!

Adding 1 2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 air cleaner.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:31:56 PM by rdbandkab »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Re: There's a freaky thing in my air cleaner!!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »
That's better!
FYI for this bike (06 Breva at least) -  I've taken the tank off a few times now and have noted that I can just flip it over and lay it on towels with some fuel in the tank. It hasn't seeped out past the filler cap or created any mess. This time I was lucky enough to ride down to the "low fuel" light (at 243 miles) and pull the tank.  A low fuel level also allows for a more easy removal of the tank.  It tends to hang up on those "spontoons".

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:49:12 AM by rdbandkab »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: There's a freaky thing in my air cleaner!!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
Nice job!! I would blow some air through the hoses there to make sure the water drain and vent work as they should.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here