Author Topic: Merged topics: 2007 Norge First ride review  (Read 3859 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: First ride review question 1 tappets
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2022, 07:53:15 PM »
As old mate said…
Put all your questions in one post mate, we know who you are now. But please do feel free to keep them coming, I love those 2VPC Norges.

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2022, 09:25:43 PM »
Reset the tappets just to be sure. Also check the oil level. Low oil on the Norge can give an odd sound.

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
Re: 2007 Norge First ride review outside temperature indicator
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2022, 09:11:30 AM »
Does it then adjust to the actual ambient ?

Yes, on closer inspection it reverts to actual ambient temperature after a while. Thanks.
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
Re: 2007 Norge First ride review
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2022, 09:13:17 AM »
Mate…
It’s true that the red ones are nice and I would not change it, but here’s the thing…
Don’t lament what your bike is not, just service it inside out and ride the bastard. Get it dirty, clean it and ride it again…and again….and…..the silver ones are damn nice.

Oh, I do like the silver, but I think the red is more visible. 
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Wildguzzi.com

Re: 2007 Norge First ride review
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2022, 09:13:17 AM »

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2022, 09:17:29 AM »
Reset the tappets just to be sure. Also check the oil level. Low oil on the Norge can give an odd sound.

The last owner left a note saying that he had adjusted the tappets and bled the brakes within 100 miles of when I bought it.  But since the rear brakes were so full of air they wouldn't grab, maybe I ought to check the tappets again as well.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
2007 Norge starting in gear
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
So. . . the manual says that I should be able to start the Norge in gear with the clutch pulled in, it definitely won't.  I stalled it and had to get it into neutral to start it.  If I was in an intersection it could have been dangerous.  What would cause this?

thanks
Kaladin
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2022, 09:46:26 AM »
The last owner left a note saying that he had adjusted the tappets and bled the brakes within 100 miles of when I bought it.  But since the rear brakes were so full of air they wouldn't grab, maybe I ought to check the tappets again as well.
Yes.
Do you know how ?

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2007 Norge starting in gear
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2022, 10:39:21 AM »
Check that the clutch switch functionality is as it should.

I don't know which way around the Norge is, but if it's open circuit with the lever released, it should be closed with the lever pulled in

My V9 had this problem when I fitted aftermarket levers that didn't allow the switch to close even when pulled fully to the bar
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »
It's either the switch or the relay. Time to get your multi-meter out.

If you do a search I'm sure this has been covered by Kiwi Roy or Huzo.

If you push the switch button in does it start in gear? Does your lever push on the switch far enough?
It's right on the left bar.
Don't forget you have to have the sidestand up!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:13:08 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2022, 11:13:52 AM »
Was the kickstand down? 

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2022, 11:43:38 AM »
The kickstand is up, I check that the kickstand light is off.  I put it in first gear and pull to a stop.  Hit the kill switch.  With the clutch fully engaged I then try to start it.  Nothing happens.   I pop it into Neutral and then it starts right up.   I'll check the switch, that seems to be the natural place to look.

thanks
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2022, 12:05:57 PM »
Yes.
Do you know how ?

Not yet  :laugh:
I should mention that since I am 250 miles from the closest dealer I intend to do all the maintenance  myself.  The R1150GS has never seen the inside of a BMW service bay. 
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Merged topic:2007 Norge First ride review
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2022, 12:37:39 PM »
You can remove the valve covers without having to remove the fairing in case you were wondering.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge First ride review question 2 hot calves
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »
I had my motorcycle jacket on, but dress slacks and shoes.  Asbestos trousers are really required?

With dress slacks and shoes many would complain about the heat from a 250cc bike. The heat has to go somewhere.

The secondary benefit of kevlar Jean's and boots will become apparent when you slide on the pavement.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2022, 02:02:22 PM »
I have noticed this issue (off and on) with both Norges that I have owned. I also encountered the same with the two Norges that I test rode before I bought my first one.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2022, 02:05:42 PM »
It's hot no matter what you are wearing if it's in the 90's with high humidity. I rarely ride mine in the summer unless I'm going somewhere cooler, but it's better than when I owned an SPIII. I'd roast behind that fairing.

I even tried adopting the scoops at the heads like the 8V's but it didn't make a significant change.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2022, 02:33:46 PM »
It's either the switch or the relay. Time to get your multi-meter out.

If you do a search I'm sure this has been covered by Kiwi Roy or Huzo.

If you push the switch button in does it start in gear? Does your lever push on the switch far enough?
It's right on the left bar.
Don't forget you have to have the sidestand up!
I can and will tell you this much.
Mine buggered up about 5 years ago and I just pulled the wires and joined them. My bike will start in gear with the side stand up, but I don’t think it will if the stand is down.
I can’t exactly remember…
I’ll check when I get to UK.

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2022, 02:35:53 PM »
You can remove the valve covers without having to remove the fairing in case you were wondering.
Thanks.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2022, 02:47:45 PM »
Actually, you don’t have to remove the tank either.
But here’s the thing.
Just take the tank off and do the plugs. Check the air and fuel filters while in there, it’ll remove the possibility of it buggering up.
Don’t try the shortcut route mate, you’ll see all sorts of beaut things you can learn and just get to know it.
If you don’t go through and tick these things off, you’ll just be another Norge rider that sells his Guzzi for a VStrom or similar, to rid himself of the perceived unreliability of an Italian bike.

If you want your bike to understand you…..?
   You’ll need to learn to understand it…
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 02:49:33 PM by Huzo »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »
Actually, you don’t have to remove the tank either.
But here’s the thing.
Just take the tank off and do the plugs. Check the air and fuel filters while in there, it’ll remove the possibility of it buggering up.
Don’t try the shortcut route mate, you’ll see all sorts of beaut things you can learn and just get to know it.
If you don’t go through and tick these things off, you’ll just be another Norge rider that sells his Guzzi for a VStrom or similar, to rid himself of the perceived unreliability of an Italian bike.

If you want your bike to understand you…..?
   You’ll need to learn to understand it…

I agree, didn’t see how many miles are on the bike but I’d go through the whole bike. Grease the steering head bearings, change the inner plugs, change the belt, grease the shock linkage, etc,etc unless the previous owner has documented all of the work.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Merged topics: 2007 Norge First ride review
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2022, 10:03:13 AM »
The kickstand is up, I check that the kickstand light is off.  I put it in first gear and pull to a stop.  Hit the kill switch.  With the clutch fully engaged I then try to start it.  Nothing happens.   I pop it into Neutral and then it starts right up.   I'll check the switch, that seems to be the natural place to look.

thanks
Hey, I looked on wiring diagram, the clutch switch (brown/violate) wire goes to #33 pin on blue connector on back of ECU.
The sidestand switch & neutral switch both go to the brown plug in back of ECU
Looks like those all are operated by ECU, the safety switches.
I would unplug the ECU connectors and clean pins w/DeOxit and re-install. They are right under steering head. May work like normal then.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 10:16:27 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2022, 10:56:31 AM »
I do get a fair amount of gurgling and popping from the exhaust when I am going downhill in compression, so it looks like I have the standard mapping.  Looks like there are various priced options for remapping systems.  Am I opening a can of worms to ask if Beetle is sufficient?

Also, when I filled with gas there was a big puff of air coming out of the gas tank as I opened the plug.   Normal?

Also, what does CARC stand for? 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 11:03:34 AM by Kaladin »
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »
I do get a fair amount of gurgling and popping from the exhaust when I am going downhill in compression, so it looks like I have the standard mapping.  Looks like there are various priced options for remapping systems.  Am I opening a can of worms to ask if Beetle is sufficient?

Also, when I filled with gas there was a big puff of air coming out of the gas tank as I opened the plug.   Normal?

thanks

Get the wires and contact Beetle.  Shouldn't be a big puff of air when opening the tank, by the way do you know if the fuel filter inside the tank has been changed?
If you don't know, do a search on here about changing out that filter then you can check the breather tubes on the tank.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
Get the wires and contact Beetle.  Shouldn't be a big puff of air when opening the tank, by the way do you know if the fuel filter inside the tank has been changed?
If you don't know, do a search on here about changing out that filter then you can check the breather tubes on the tank.

The man I bought it from only drove it a few miles before he decided that it wasn't for him.  I can understand why: the back brake didn't work and the front tire only had 5 psi.  There was a note under the seat about recent brake bleeding and tappet adjustment.  So I don't have access to the original owner to ask him what has been done.  The only mod I can see is an Apple charge cable running up to the handlebars.
So I'll check out the fuel filter.  My first task is to get the VIN number examined so I can complete the registration.  So I will learn how to do parking lot fuel tank moving on Saturday.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2022, 12:35:39 PM »
So I will learn how to do parking lot fuel tank moving on Saturday.
Can you try that again ?
I would presume that the previous owner has done nothing and anything he has done is wrong.
If you get a lift for the bike and do the things I outlined in the service schedule, you’ll be close to ok….

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2022, 01:12:33 PM »
Can you try that again ?
I would presume that the previous owner has done nothing and anything he has done is wrong.
If you get a lift for the bike and do the things I outlined in the service schedule, you’ll be close to ok….

I can't show the officer the VIN number, it is under the tank.  So I assume that I will have to move the tank back in order to get it registered.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2022, 02:04:07 PM »
The man I bought it from only drove it a few miles before he decided that it wasn't for him.  I can understand why: the back brake didn't work and the front tire only had 5 psi.  There was a note under the seat about recent brake bleeding and tappet adjustment.  So I don't have access to the original owner to ask him what has been done.  The only mod I can see is an Apple charge cable running up to the handlebars.
So I'll check out the fuel filter.  My first task is to get the VIN number examined so I can complete the registration.  So I will learn how to do parking lot fuel tank moving on Saturday.

I'd take a picture of the VIN number when you practice the removal of the tank, maybe you will get lucky with the DMV.

The rear brake is one of those mystery issues, I've never had that problem on my bike but others have a regular problem with that brake. I did have to replace the rear caliper as the accordion part of the caliper froze up and even with repeated lubrication,etc. it just wouldn't budge so I purchased a used one on eBay.

How many miles on the bike?  Not knowing what has been done I'd do a thorough check from front to back. A search on WG will cover most everything in terms of maintenance. If the original fuel filter hasn't been changed it will stop the bike if it breaks; basically the original fuel filter is half plastic and ethanol causes the plastic part to burst.  Mine was bloated by the time I got it out and I changed it out with whatever is recommended. I did not use the crimp clamps as others have recommended, but just used standard stainless steel clamps found everywhere and this was about 10 years ago. So far so good. In fact it might be time to change it again.....You should also bleed the ABS pump, there is a hose underneath the seat to bleed the pump. Grease the gears on the fairing screen, as that can be a problem. The motor for my screen has been fine but others have had issues.  If the suspension is an issue there are solutions for that problem but it just involves money and some time but it all depends on your riding style. Mine is an early production so the rear shock spring was undersized; I changed the shock but others installed a heavier spring. And there is a valving kit for the front forks to improve the handling. Only use the recommended oil, 20W50 is not an option and there is plenty of topics related to that issue. Sorry, this is sort of rambling but I'm just thinking of what should be addressed and while this may sound like a lot, it really isn't that complicated. I only have about 60K on my bike but Huzo has way more miles than most and I'll let him discuss how much he loves the bike. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2022, 02:24:58 PM »
I did fix the rear brake by bleeding all the air of it.  Works great now.

It has 27,000 miles on it.

Great idea with the photo scheme, zooming in and out with a copy my ID in the photo might do the trick.

I have an endoscope, I'll scope out the fuel filter. 

A motorcycle lift sounds like just the thing.  For my beemer as well, getting too old for a lot of crouching.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »
I believe the rear brake bleeding is an ongoing issue. Hopefully not for your bike.

You should look through this thread, itt may seem overwhelming but you will or someone will have to do this sooner or later.
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=66579.msg1021807#msg1021807

If you do have to change the fuel filter it really isn't that difficult, in fact removing the tank is probably more difficult than changing the filter. Once the tank is off, just flip it over,  remove all of the bolts (obvious once seen) that house the filter and an electrical connection then pull the whole unit.

Yeah, a lift is helpful. I don't have the room for one or I'd have one by now.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2022, 03:57:28 PM »
Hey, I looked on wiring diagram, the clutch switch (brown/violate) wire goes to #33 pin on blue connector on back of ECU.
The sidestand switch & neutral switch both go to the brown plug in back of ECU
Looks like those all are operated by ECU, the safety switches.
I would unplug the ECU connectors and clean pins w/DeOxit and re-install. They are right under steering head. May work like normal then.

I’ve owned an 08 1200 Sport since 2013 and it too only starts in neutral (The same problem) I’d like to fix it also so it starts in any gear with the clutch pulled in. Could you tell me where the ECU is located on my bike so I could look into fixing that? Should be the same as a Norge. Or can you show a picture of the ECU with its location? Thanks
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 03:58:29 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here