A month ago I took the bike to a shop regarding the shifting and with a bit of a tweak of the eccentric screw and
a lighter oil (Motul 75W90 gear oil) I am now able to change gears, but not easily.
I have to "flick" up the shifter twice and the next gear will engage. Also going down, I have to press the shifter twice before I can feel the next gear.
Sometimes I find neutral between 2nd and third gear.
I tightened the clutch cable better and it seems to have helped.
I think I need to play with the eccentric screw some more.
The hung idle problem has gone away. I guess it was the cracked carb float and it needed to run a bit to clear out carbon build up.
The spark plugs now are dry and gray/brown. Before the fix, the right one was always black and wet.
I finally measured compression and got 170psi on both sides.
Timing is still a bit shaky. I hate mechanical points. I need to look into a Dyna kit.
The rockers also make quite some noise. I am not sure if it's excessive. I checked the gaps and still holding
at 0.15/0.2mm on both heads.
The clutch is really touchy. It has a very short friction zone. It's taking some time to get used to it.
This bike has one clutch plate, so maybe it's worn out (21k miles).
I went on a 30mile ride a few days ago and the infamous oil pressure light came on. It was a hot day with plenty of traffic.
The light first started shimmering at low rpm, then it went solid. There was plenty of oil in the sump.
I didn't want to risk anything, so I towed the bike home (it's nice to have a brother with a trailer).
The next morning I started it and the light did not come on. Drove around town for an hour, no light.
A search on this forum found that this is a common problem. I can't get to the pressure switch without taking the
air box out, so winter project.
I am using ENI i-Sint 10W40. Looking through a couple manuals, Guzzi recommended 10w40 at one time, then changed to
10W50 (V65 Florida). I drained a bit of it and added a quart of 20W50 cuz that's what I could find.
I will take that 30 mile ride again and see what happens.
I also found an interesting project to add a pressure gauge. https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_oil_pressure_gauge.html
Maybe this winter.