General Category > General Discussion

Replacing Brake Rotor Bolts

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mike Tashjian:
I thought a propane torch was needed to soften the Locktite on some brake rotor bolts.  I think 450 degrees was the temperature that you aim for.  And it really doesn't seem to bother the paint if you aim for the bolt head.   

John A:
The factory fasteners for brake discs are one time use. If I’m concerned about clamping under the head with a smaller diameter, I use AN 560 (5/16) aviation washers. I attempted to drill the heads on some property class 80 stainless Allen heads that I use for discs . I was using them elsewhere and needed to safety wire them so it’s a simple task to drill them. Not so with class 80’s, even going up to a 40 (large)drill bit.  I’ll order some 70’s, they are roughly equivalent to a grade 5 and are at least soft enough to drill.

rschrum:
I like the titanium offerings from ProBolt.

John A:
Metric stainless has a different marking and specs system. It goes like this: 40 is soft, 70 and 80. similar to SAE grades 2,5,8
https://www.fastenal.com/en/76/metric-system-and-specifications

Dirk_S:
Appreciate all the replies!

--- Quote from: Mike Tashjian on January 17, 2022, 04:53:07 PM ---I thought a propane torch was needed to soften the Locktite on some brake rotor bolts.  I think 450 degrees was the temperature that you aim for.  And it really doesn't seem to bother the paint if you aim for the bolt head.

--- End quote ---

I know red loctite is the type that requires heat, but the blue stuff usually pops off with a little extra twist. I'll have to check the service manual for what they recommend.

--- Quote from: rodekyll on January 17, 2022, 02:43:09 PM ---I'd caution you about using stainless for that purpose.  They are soft and not intended for high torque applications.

--- End quote ---

This is exactly why I asked the question, because I was thinking maybe softer bolts were better, otherwise why would so many factory manuals call for replacement if they could simply use harder, more brittle bolts with higher tensile strength.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version