General Category > General Discussion

Schroedinger's clutch lever spring

(1/2) > >>

jamesfjamesf:
Was it there before I took things apart? Only the cat knows. But it's not there now. I'm going to grab a beer and do a mid-project cleaning/organizing so maybe it'll show up. but I'm curious if anyone's replaced it with a $1 something from the hardware store?  I'm feeling tapped out and impatient and don't feel like paying $10 and a week of shipping for a stock one.

thanks,
jim

pehayes:
You're talking about the spring which sits loose at the back of the transmission?  Rests in a cast cup and is pressed on by the lever at the back of the transmission?  Correct? If so, that is and important spring.  It ensures that, when released, that lever gets pulled back away from the transmission and unloads any contact on the clutch throwout bearing.  The little throwout bearing is intended for "momentary" use and won't last long under constant loading, even light loading.

I don't think the spring dimensions or force are particularly important.  Anything would be better than nothing.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

guzzisteve:
I bought a bag full of them at the hdwr store, you are not the only one.

jamesfjamesf:

--- Quote from: pehayes on March 25, 2024, 07:58:10 PM ---You're talking about the spring which sits loose at the back of the transmission?  Rests in a cast cup and is pressed on by the lever at the back of the transmission?  Correct? If so, that is and important spring.  It ensures that, when released, that lever gets pulled back away from the transmission and unloads any contact on the clutch throwout bearing.  The little throwout bearing is intended for "momentary" use and won't last long under constant loading, even light loading.

I don't think the spring dimensions or force are particularly important.  Anything would be better than nothing.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

--- End quote ---

Yep that's the one. Good to know, thanks. No luck finding it in the garage.

jim

jamesfjamesf:

--- Quote from: guzzisteve on March 25, 2024, 09:42:09 PM ---I bought a bag full of them at the hdwr store, you are not the only one.

--- End quote ---

Noted. I'll get a few  :grin:

jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version