Author Topic: 1971 Ambassador revival  (Read 15514 times)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: 1971 Ambassador revival
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
Doesn't the  banjo filter act as a sealing ring as well?

Yep!

And to OP: I have these on my Ambo and they are set up the same on both sides:

straight up: open
handle to front: off
handle to back: reserve

I only run one open, I have a line off each petcock to a carb (with in-line filter), but use the dual port banjos and have a jumper line connecting the banjos/carbs. (I dont use the stock fuel line X fitting- just connected at banjos)
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2021, 03:29:47 PM »
You'll need to figure out the shift pattern for your transmission too.  It will be a lot of fun when going from one bike to another.  :shocked:  Find out from the PO would be the easiest way.  Asking other Ambo owners won't really give you an answer for you bike.

Other reference material can be obtained through the MGNOC as a member.  There are 3 Tips books and a quick tune-up guide for purchase.  Really good info for Loop owners.

Get a set up metric wrenches too. 

From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 04:27:59 PM »
And, ask questions here.  Loop frame specific ….

https://motoguzzi.groups.io/g/LoopFrames/topics
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2021, 10:00:06 PM »
Yeah I can see the logic of that. If I knew exactly which ones to get I might go for new ones, but I think I'll just see how these do for now, keep an eye them for leaks. Thanks!

So the tank currently has no petcocks?  If so, I’d spring for some new (correct) ones, with new fuel lines.

Gas staying on the INSIDE is kinda important.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2021, 10:00:06 PM »

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2021, 10:05:21 PM »
I must have different ones, on these ON and RES. are 180 to each other, up and down. OFF is horizontal. At least that what it looks like to me!

I'm curious about your fuel line set up. WHy did you do it that way versus stock set up? Also I'm not sure what a banjo is??

Yep!

And to OP: I have these on my Ambo and they are set up the same on both sides:

straight up: open
handle to front: off
handle to back: reserve

I only run one open, I have a line off each petcock to a carb (with in-line filter), but use the dual port banjos and have a jumper line connecting the banjos/carbs. (I dont use the stock fuel line X fitting- just connected at banjos)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 10:07:34 PM by demet »

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2021, 10:11:53 PM »
Yeah he told me, I think he said one up and three down, but I'll need to verify of course. Thanks for the tip on Tips books and tune-up guide. I'll look for them for sure! I have a set of Wera metric wrenches on the way ;-)

You'll need to figure out the shift pattern for your transmission too.  It will be a lot of fun when going from one bike to another.  :shocked:  Find out from the PO would be the easiest way.  Asking other Ambo owners won't really give you an answer for you bike.

Other reference material can be obtained through the MGNOC as a member.  There are 3 Tips books and a quick tune-up guide for purchase.  Really good info for Loop owners.

Get a set up metric wrenches too.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2021, 11:04:51 PM »
Your valves are different than what I have for the On/off/res. Not sure what they are from. The valves in this style seem to have a RH and LH valve.

Fuel valves at MG Cycle. Look at the labeling. The second one is the setup I thought you may have had:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=379&products_id=1320
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=379&products_id=5392

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2021, 11:13:30 PM »
I must have different ones, on these ON and RES. are 180 to each other, up and down. OFF is horizontal. At least that what it looks like to me!

I'm curious about your fuel line set up. WHy did you do it that way versus stock set up? Also I'm not sure what a banjo is??
To have a reserve you need standpipes, I don't see these in your picture. Perhaps you had them off.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:15:25 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2021, 07:41:39 AM »

sorry yes, you have different petcocks than I. I'm using newer model petcocks with the adapter from MGCycle.

as for the (stock) X pipe vs. dual inlet carb banjos with a crossover tube, here is a whole thread on it...
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=104840.0

I like the dual inlet banjos with a fuel line from each petcock to its corresponding carb, then a crossover line connecting the two.

Here's your 'dual inlet banjo' for Dellorto carbs:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:42:46 AM by Mayor_of_BBQ »

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
Thanks everyone, trying to finish another project before I turn to the bike, although it's hard to not want to get at it ASAP.

I'm going to build wooden platform to elevate the bike. Does anyone have any recommended dimensions? I have a full sheet of 3/4" plywood and 4x6 and 2x6 for the legs/structure. so could do 4'x8' platform but was thinking maybe a bit narrower would make it easier to access the bike while seated on rolling shop stool. As narrow as 24"? And maybe 18-24" elevation, with ramp of some kind? Has anyone built such a platform?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »
Hopefully you have the wood and the space.  If you have to buy the wood....might cheaper to buy a bike lift. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

LesP

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2021, 03:33:44 PM »
I built three of these as compact as possible.
Tops from 30mm ply 2000mm x 600mm x 630mm tall overall.
70 x 70 legs.
90 x 35 for the rest.

Compact but still plenty of room for clutter.

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I ordered a shop stool, so might wait for that to come to determine final height, but I am tall with more upper body length so may need to go a little higher.
Yes , a few of them , unfortunately all given away so I need to build a new one . Normally tried to build it just a little wider than the widest section of the bike . Height is determined by where you are comfortable working while sitting . Don't go too high , getting a bike up the ramp gets awkward . Build a couple of pull out sections in the middle , makes it easy to get underneath the bike on a creeper . The side rails should be 2x6 eliminating the need for center legs .

Dusty

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
Wow, no kidding, I already have some 4x6 for the legs, but I was shocked what the plywood and a few 2x4s cost me. How can anyone build anything??!

Hopefully you have the wood and the space.  If you have to buy the wood....might cheaper to buy a bike lift.

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »
Cool, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I'll probably steal your design ;-) But I think I might add wheels as I have some heavy duty, locking castors already.
Do you use a ramp to get the bike up that high? Do it by yourself?

Also it looks like you have a bike lift also, I guess so you can get the wheels off?

I built three of these as compact as possible.
Tops from 30mm ply 2000mm x 600mm x 630mm tall overall.
70 x 70 legs.
90 x 35 for the rest.

Compact but still plenty of room for clutter.

LesP

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2021, 03:14:14 PM »
Cool, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I'll probably steal your design ;-) But I think I might add wheels as I have some heavy duty, locking castors already.
Do you use a ramp to get the bike up that high? Do it by yourself?

Also it looks like you have a bike lift also, I guess so you can get the wheels off?

I just use the engine crane as they are for building bikes so in theory bits get added until there is something to lift off.
Maintenance jobs on the hydraulic lift.

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »
Hey guys, I got my work table built and ready to put bike up on it, but thought I should try the centerstand while on the cement, and I can't do it!? I can do my /6 just fine, but something seems off about this one. No tab on left side and place I'm supposed to put weight on my foot - furthest rear of curving leg of stand - it's very hard to reach, seems to close to the mufflers?? I made a little video, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I wonder if this stand is missing something or ??
Also, am I missing a handle to pull the bike back with?
Thanks!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WWoRzsx1GgxQdtHi9

LesP

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2021, 06:52:08 PM »
Left side, foot on the end of the curved arm, right hand under the frame loop.
That piece you had your foot on offers no leverage and is to lay the bike on its side I found, my Eldorado has them both sides (and stock length shocks if it matters)

I'm not sure why but some bikes are easier to put on the main stand with the handlebars turned to the left.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:59:23 PM by LesP »

Offline Joshua

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2021, 08:55:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum Demet!

Local Portland loop frame owner myself. Congrats on the new lady! The center stand is a bit tricky to start out but becomes a routine once your comfortable with it. Watched your video, yes you need your foot on the tip of the curved end, the tab on the side is merely to get it down from under the exhaust. If that spring did not return the stand back up to the bike it would drop down while riding over bumps. I find it helps once my foot is in position on the tip of the curved end holding it to the ground to lift up and back towards the rear of the bike while pushing down on the stand with my foot, if i get enough momentum it takes minimal pressure on the stand to get her into place.
My Rides:

'72 Ambassador "Sophia"

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2021, 09:41:35 PM »
Left hand on handle bar. Right hand under seat, grab handle, rear crash bar. Left toe on the tab and heel on the ground and press down. Now carefully put the ball of right foot on the curved up end of the stand to hold it down. Move left foot to a comfortable and stable position. To lift, simultaneously press down on the stand with your right foot and lift with your right hand while pulling the bike backwards a tad.

Pops right up!! :thumb: :evil:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:53 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:06:39 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2021, 10:36:15 PM »
Thanks guys, but a couple problems. One just weird and annoying, the tab is on the right hand side of the bike. But OK can try it on that side. But bigger problem is stand won't stay down, when I press the tab it will go down but then snaps back up. And even if it would stay down so I could move my foot to the rear it still seems like there is not enough space to get in there, especially if muffler is hot!  :sad:

My BMW /6 center stand works as y'all describe and I can work it fine.

Nice to virtually meet you Joshua! My workspace is in Sellwood, so hopefully we can meet up sometime  :thumb:

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2021, 07:13:06 AM »
you cant lever the bike up by stepping on any tab or lever.

Put the stand down with your foot, then put you toe on the stand in the curve, just to hold it down. You toe is only acting as a 'doorstop' to wedge the stand down and hold it down.

With one hand on the handlebar, grab the rear area of the bike by whatever you can... I use the pillion grab handle, you could use rear crash bar, pannier rack, upper frame rail, under edge of the seat, or whatever.

Pull the bike backward with the bar hand while pulling back and up with your other hand, keep your toe on the stand to hold it down and stop it retracting... it will 'roll' back and up on the stand.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2021, 08:33:44 AM »
Thanks guys, but a couple problems. One just weird and annoying, the tab is on the right hand side of the bike. But OK can try it on that side. But bigger problem is stand won't stay down, when I press the tab it will go down but then snaps back up. And even if it would stay down so I could move my foot to the rear it still seems like there is not enough space to get in there, especially if muffler is hot!  :sad:

My BMW /6 center stand works as y'all describe and I can work it fine.

Nice to virtually meet you Joshua! My workspace is in Sellwood, so hopefully we can meet up sometime  :thumb:

Couple of things are going on then: 1) someone has removed the left tab, should have one on both sides, 2) shocks are shorter than stock and/or a low profile tire.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2021, 02:05:31 PM »
OK thanks, I will look into these issues. Is it weird though that the stand will not stay down? Is there some sort of detent or something that should keep it down?

Couple of things are going on then: 1) someone has removed the left tab, should have one on both sides, 2) shocks are shorter than stock and/or a low profile tire.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »
OK thanks, I will look into these issues. Is it weird though that the stand will not stay down? Is there some sort of detent or something that should keep it down?

No detent. It just relies on friction and spring tension.

I currently have a customer's '70 Ambo here that has the same problem with the stand staying down, but at least it still has the left side tang. I can put my heel on the tang and push the stand down, then swing my toe around onto the tip of the stand to hold it down.
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2021, 04:19:52 PM »
It's more pulling the bike on to the stand than lifting the bike on to it. 

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2021, 04:41:58 PM »
Ok I think I figured it out, found the broken tab in the spare parts ;-) And tires are pretty very low, when I put rear on 2x block, stand will stay down and I can pull it back/onto stand just fine. Easier then my BMW in fact ;-)
Thanks for all the tips! I have a steep learning curve in front of me, gotta not look up at it lol.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2021, 04:56:47 PM »
 :thumb: 

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2021, 07:21:54 PM »
Big thanks to @Joshua for swinging by, showing me his beautiful bike (which I believe many of you are familiar with!) and helping me get my bike up on the work table. Have my little nook ready for some winter tinkering!

Thanks for the tips on rotating the carbs to get the dishes off, worked a treat, and here is what I have. Can I just clean them up with some WD-40? I plan to rebuild them soon, but for now just want to get the bike running, and address the most pressing issues first.

image uploader

Here is picture of one of the fuel filters, looks unused. I need to dig deeper into this 'dual-banjo' recommendation I think. Or maybe just get it hooked back up to the tank first and get it running ;-)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here