Author Topic: Aluma MC17 vs Kendon Go Single Rail  (Read 1820 times)

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
Aluma MC17 vs Kendon Go Single Rail
« on: May 01, 2021, 07:21:25 PM »
Curious if anyone has any experience with either of these two foldable/store upright trailers.  The Aluma is priced new around $2950. I like the all aluminum construction and front debris guard for the motorcycle.  The Kendon is a little lighter and supposed to be easier to move around in the upright position due to the caster arrangement.  I am intrigued with these foldable trailers in regards to being able to store easily.  The Stinger just seems a little too light weight and not a fan of the small wheels.  I really like some of the rampless trailer designs that lower to the ground like ZPro, Razor, and Executive Easy Loader but I think the option to fold up and out of the way is my preference. 

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
Re: Aluma MC17 vs Kendon Go Single Rail
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 07:28:32 PM »
Correction: Aluma MC1F.  Kendon is priced at $2199.00.  Thanks.

Offline kindoy2

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 07:32:26 PM »
I've owned a couple Kendon's..They are well made, the only thing I myself didn't like about them is they are very difficult to load a big bike by yourself..no place to put your feet to stabilize yourself makes it a bit scary.
1999  Bassa, 2002 Scura, 2022 Ducati Supersport 950S
Previously..2000 V11 Greenie sport, 2001 Rosso Mandello, 2003 Rosso Corsa...and about 100 other mostly Italian money pits...

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »
I have a Kendon single rail trailer.  I’ve used it a bunch, including a trip from Denver to Minnesota to pick up a CalVin.

The good:  (1)  pulls well with torsion bar suspension and full size wheels. (2) stores easily in regular sized garage.

The bad: it is VERY hard to load and unload full size bikes by yourself.  This is because, as the bike goes up the ramp, you reach a place where your feet can’t reach the ground, and there’s no trailer under you.  You can overcome this problem when loading by riding fast enough up the ramp to balance the bike upright.  Unloading, though, there’s no way.

I’ve been using a 4x4 piece of 3/4 plywood as a ramp.  This is better, but I think loading and unloading without help is asking for trouble.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 08:45:33 PM »
I think the Kendon GO Series addresses that issue with three ramps that all link together top and bottom with aluminum tubes and the rear of the trailer is now squared off to provide a surface for your feet.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 08:51:39 PM »
I have an Aluma 12' UTR trailer.  While not the one your asking about, Aluma trailers are very nice, high quality units.  I had a two-bike kendon for years.  As mentioned, a real challenge to load anything other than lightweight sport bikes or dirt bikes.  I'd take the Aluma over the kendon anytime. 

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 06:50:59 AM »
I have an old Kendon single that I bought 20 years ago and it is a great trailer.  Love the ease of storage and the torsion bar suspension.

20 years ago I used to throw full sized Harleys on it with no trouble or worries.  Funny how 20 years later that has become more daunting.  The new Go looks great and solves the foot placement dilemma.

It makes me think of upgrading.

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 08:43:52 AM »
I have a Kendon single rail trailer.  I’ve used it a bunch, including a trip from Denver to Minnesota to pick up a CalVin.

The good:  (1)  pulls well with torsion bar suspension and full size wheels. (2) stores easily in regular sized garage.

The bad: it is VERY hard to load and unload full size bikes by yourself.  This is because, as the bike goes up the ramp, you reach a place where your feet can’t reach the ground, and there’s no trailer under you.  You can overcome this problem when loading by riding fast enough up the ramp to balance the bike upright.  Unloading, though, there’s no way.

I’ve been using a 4x4 piece of 3/4 plywood as a ramp.  This is better, but I think loading and unloading without help is asking for trouble.

+1, +1, +1

I have a 2-rail Kendon.  When you're young, dumb & strong, loading & unloading even a big bike is manageable.  Subtract even one of those traits, & you're asking for trouble.  I have one major & 2 minor lumbar disc herniations to show for from trying to load my Harley alone when I was about 60 y.o. after having gotten away with doing the same thing quite a few times in previous years.  On the other hand, Black Widow & others sell foldable trailer-wide ramps that would help, but they ain't cheap & that's another thing to store when not using it. 
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline kindoy2

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »
On the Kendon, Where are you going to keep all those extra ramps when your loaded? , and do you really want to mess with all that hardware? ..and when your alone, even after you get over the "hump" and on to the trailer..if your under 6ft tall, trying to get off the bike and balance it is a tricky situation..Can it be done? Yes..but easily or with confidence? I think not.
I have loaded my  Triumph T-140's and light Ducati's alone without much problem..and I have loaded V-11's and my 1200Rt on them alone, a whole different story.. I never liked doing it, and that is the one of the  reason's I wanted a single bike  trailer..so I could go places and unload alone and not have to wait for or find help.
I bought my last Kendon  from a very tall guy in Phoenix, who bought  Kendons Top of the line special Harley unit, then he bought a brand new Harley..and proceeded to dump the bike off the trailer the first day, He did $4,500 worth of damage to the new Harley and broke his ankle trying to stop it from going over..So he sold it to me Cheap and he bought a different trailer without ever using it...I used it 2-3 times with the big bikes   and sold it as well, it was an accident waiting to happen imo...I value my bikes too much to roll the dice.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:14:11 PM by kindoy2 »
1999  Bassa, 2002 Scura, 2022 Ducati Supersport 950S
Previously..2000 V11 Greenie sport, 2001 Rosso Mandello, 2003 Rosso Corsa...and about 100 other mostly Italian money pits...

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 11:15:12 AM »
I've had a single place Kendon for 20 yrs.  Love it, set the cruise control for 70+ and you don't know it's behind you until you look in the rear mirror.  I added a ramp system using 2X8's for foot support when loading a Wing under power. Works great.  Photo's from the web gave me the idea.....

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »
Aluma for me.  I've owned the MC210 and now own the MC10.  Light, rustproof, and quality axles and tires.  I've put thousands of miles on mine with nary a hiccup.

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »
Had a Kendon, sold it, not stable or wide enough for safe loading/unloading.  I rent a UHaul when I need a trailer and banked the money I sold the Kendon for.  The UHaul, while heavy, tows very well and is nice and low to the ground.  Can load and unload by myself, no problems.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline Yo Man

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 02:51:47 PM »
I too have an Aluma MC10; it doesn't fold but it's top quality and not hard to load.

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 03:23:11 PM »
No one has mentioned the Baxley fold-up trailers. I have this one and it addresses all issues I've ever had with open motorcycle trailers (ease of loading, security while towing, and ease of storage). The deck lowers to the ground for loading and then the front wheel of the bike locks into the (Baxley) LA Chock, so you can get off the bike without it falling. Then you crank the deck back up to travel position with the hand winch.  Then you strap the bike down and go.

When you're not using the trailer, you just use the hand winch to fold it up, then push it around your garage to a convenient location. Doesn't take a lot of floor space.

This is not a tinny piece of junk, and the price reflects that. It weighs about 600 lbs. Put a Harley dresser on it and it tows like a dream. Just last week I picked up a new-to-me R1200RT. No drama whatever.

https://baxleycompanies.com/pages/sbx09

I have an Aluma trailer, too, FWIW, in case I need to tow my Ural. It's a model 638 (63" wide, 8' long) with a bi-fold tailgate. It truly seems to be custom-made for a Ural sidecar rig, just exactly the right size. Aluma makes a high-quality trailer, and being aluminum, it's light (under 400 lbs.) Too bad it doesn't fold, because I'm still trying to figure out where to store it inside. Currently in one of my wife's garages, as she is out of town long term caring for her father.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 08:12:13 PM »
The Baxley trailer is pretty slick.  It’s twice the price of the others, though.  Opinions on whether it’s worth the extra dough?  I’m thinking hard about selling my Kendon and getting something else.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 06:47:24 AM »
 We nearly bought one of those Aluma MC1 folding trailers but the ramp was a bit short and narrow (for me).

We had a nice Featherweight aluminum trailer w/torsion axle and a hinged rear ramp.  That upright ramp had a very negative effect on fuel mileage.  Still, it was easy to load a motorcycle.  Ride the bike up and into the chock and then get off and tie it down.  It was a one-man operation.  Nice.

We then purchased an Aluma MC10 aluminum trailer.   The full-width ramp slides out from underneath, so there's no air brake on the back killing the fuel mileage.   Yay !  It doesn't fold up, but we love it anyway.

There is something to be said about ease of loading/unloading.  LOL - I remember the many times that I rode a bike up into the back of a pickup truck on a 2x12.  I (more than once) removed the tailgate and used it as a ramp.   Those days are long gone.

:boozing:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:58:33 AM by kballowe »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »
Cookiemech:  Thanks for the link.  I wasn't aware of the Baxley fold up.  Well engineered piece of kit.  Pretty pricey when you consider that now you are approaching enclosed trailer territory.  Of course, enclosed trailers don't fold up which is my original point of this posting.  Seems to be unanimous positive
opinions on Aluma trailers.  Mixed feedback on Kendon.  Some positive/some negative which I suspect might have something to do with the size/weight of the bikes being loaded.  Maximum size of bike I would load would be my V 85.  Appreciate the responses.  Thanks guys.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here