Author Topic: 72 Eldorado - transmission breather hose question  (Read 709 times)

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
72 Eldorado - transmission breather hose question
« on: February 09, 2023, 02:17:12 AM »
Hi folks,

I have a question regarding the transmission breather hose one the left side of of the bike, next to the neutral indicator switch because I am slightly confused with that.

First: The spare parts catalogue for the 850 Eldo states that there goes an oil breather plug #12 23 53 00 and i have seen pictures online showing there is a plug and no hose. Most bikes show a hose there though. Could it be that the breather plug was factory from Guzzi and all the hoses are modifications? Was the factory plug too tight for a good ventilation?

Secondly: I had the hose installed and it runs straight up under the tank where it ends open and not fixed anywhere. Is that correct? Should there be any clamp to fix the hose in place or a breather filter on top of it?

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:17:59 AM by DodgeBoy »
1972 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado Police

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 72 Eldorado - transmission breather hose question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 05:29:40 AM »
a breather filter on top of it?

I saw one like that. The filter atomized the oil droplets where they settled evenly all over everything and attracted dust. That dust was at least 1/4" thick, and hard to get off. :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 06:49:59 AM »
I saw one like that. The filter atomized the oil droplets where they settled evenly all over everything and attracted dust. That dust was at least 1/4" thick, and hard to get off. :grin:

Does this count as patina?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 08:30:53 AM »
4 spds and early 5 spds just had a plug with no hose barb. Not an issue on 4 spds as they never puke oil out there, but 5 spds do for some reason. The barb was added as a fix, hose runs up and is fixed to the frame. A catch bottle can be fitted if one is worried about it (still) burping oil and making a mess.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 09:31:02 AM »
4 spds and early 5 spds just had a plug with no hose barb. Not an issue on 4 spds as they never puke oil out there, but 5 spds do for some reason. The barb was added as a fix, hose runs up and is fixed to the frame. A catch bottle can be fitted if one is worried about it (still) burping oil and making a mess.

Thank you! Do you maybe know how the hose should be fixed to the frame originally? Just with a zip tie around the top frame structure?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »
Thank you! Do you maybe know how the hose should be fixed to the frame originally? Just with a zip tie around the top frame structure?

No, I don't. I usually run it up and back, tied to the frame just above the battery.
Charlie

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 12:03:26 PM »
My 73 Eldorado has the hose , about 18" long,running up from the transmission to the area under the gas tank, where its simply zip tied to the frame tube. No need for a filter or catch can, as no oil or mist has ever come out of it.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 01:30:29 PM »
I once had a 73 Eldo.  The transmission had a chrome hex plug with a central hole.  It commonly puked.
I drilled the hole slightly larger and silver soldered a straight brass tube fitting about an inch proud. (Maybe you have mine???)
Installed a hose up to the battery area and open to atmosphere.
Never dropped again.

BTW, based on your brand of lubricant, some create more foam or bubbles than others.  The purpose of the hose is to allow the bubbles to rise up, burst, and liquid drain back into the transmission.
In order to prevent water intrusion, it is very important that the hose have a gentle U-turn and point directly downward.  Don't spray it with  your wash hose.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 03:42:49 PM »
I need a catch bottle on my V7 Sport’s 5 speed.  A lot depends on the oil used, outside temps and how hard I Rev and ride it.  Can’t hurt, can’t be seen, and it avoids an oily mess.  Learned that the hard way.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 03:40:35 AM »
First I know nothing about Eldos

All my 5 speeds (an Sporti, Daytona and LM 1000) all have breather hoses on the box, the LM 1000 is a short hose which just loops up and a few inches higher than the box the Sport and Daytonas hose run higher.

All are open to atmosphere, never had any problems with them puking oil.

I put a hose clip on them, but I don't think it's necessary with a hose to atmosphere as there wouldn't be sufficient pressure differential to pop the hose off the barb.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »
I have the plug with the nipple on my 5 speeds. I used to just route the hose to the ground. I had thought if I routed it upward somewhere, that it would get oil there. Then I found out I was wrong about that.

I would use a hose clamp on the nipple. There is some fluid that will accumulate in the hose, when it runs back down, it could leak between the barb and the hose.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 03:57:04 AM »
Thank you guys. I will keep the hose and fix it to the frame, without any bottle at least for now.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here