Author Topic: Wifes first bike  (Read 1280 times)

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
Wifes first bike
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Its not a Guzzi, but she's gotta start somewhere, its a 50cc 4 stroke Vespa. I picked it up on the cheap this weekend, $800 US. Its a 2009 with 1400 miles on the OD. It was owned by a Preacher who didn't ride it much. Next door to my shop (ManAboutRacks.com) is a bike shop called Motoworks, I've gotten to know the owner pretty well. Preacher brought it in to find out why it wouldn't start. Dave pulled the carb and it was all gummed up from sitting. Drained the tank, cleaned the carb and it ran perfect. Preacher sold it to me for $800 bucks. My wife loved it. She figures that she could practice around the neighborhood to decide if its something she might want to pursue further. She's always said that she wanted a Vespa, so now its hers. When I took it for a ride, max speed was 40 MPH, which I thought was pretty good for a little 50cc scooter.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Wifes first bike
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
Beautiful little Vespa.  I'm glad for you... my wife would like to ride, but realizes that she doesn't do that type of hand-eye-brain coordination thing very well.  To quote her "I'd kill myself."  Keep us posted, I'd like to hear how things go with the new ride.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
Beautiful little Vespa.  I'm glad for you... my wife would like to ride, but realizes that she doesn't do that type of hand-eye-brain coordination thing very well.  To quote her "I'd kill myself."  Keep us posted, I'd like to hear how things go with the new ride.

My wife has no problem with the clutch or gear shifting...But it all goes to hell the second the bike moves and the feet need to come off the ground... nice scooter.....I'll be honest, scooters scare me...

Offline Northern Bill

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
When I met my wife about 15 years ago she went on the back of my Suzuki SV650 but she didn't like it.  I didn't really like a passenger either so she bought a 1976 Honda 400/4.  That was a great little learner bike with enough power when you needed it.  She then got a 1990 Honda Hawk 650, and then a 2002 Suzuki SV650 after that.  The SV was a good bike but a few years ago it was in need of a lot of maintenance so I convinced her to sell it and buy a new 2013 CBR250.  She has enjoyed the little Honda a lot as we mostly travel on rural roads and it is very light and nimble for that type of riding. It is also easy for her to move it around when it is stopped. I have to admit that I really like the little 250 as well.  On twisty roads you can really ride quickly with it.  I have surprised many a larger bike with its performance.
Anyway, in 2013 when she was in the buying mood she also bought a new 150 Vespa. It is a really nice bit of engineering but those small wheels scare me a bit.
1973 Triumph Adventurer Cafe Racer
1975 T3/Le Mans replica
1987 Honda CBX250 Track Bike
1989 Honda GB500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »
my wife would like to ride, but realizes that she doesn't do that type of hand-eye-brain coordination thing very well.
I know what you mean. I took her out for her first lesson today and once she got moving, she couldn't remember which was the front brake and which was the rear, which wigged her out a little. She successfully made four trips around the neighborhood block, first trip was scary as hell.......for me. If you saw her start out, you'd understand. By the third trip, she finally had a big grin on her face. She went a 4th time and I called it a day while we were still ahead. We'll continue training next weekend.

My wife has no problem with the clutch or gear shifting...But it all goes to hell the second the bike moves and the feet need to come off the ground... nice scooter.....I'll be honest, scooters scare me...
Anyway, in 2013 when she was in the buying mood she also bought a new 150 Vespa. It is a really nice bit of engineering but those small wheels scare me a bit.

I'll be honest, me too. Once you get those little things moving at max speed (40 MPH) they don't feel nowhere near as stable as a regular bike. Those little wheels are scary feeling. It felt easy to low side too on the normal amount of loose gravel that you find on normal pavement that you would hardly notice on a regular size bike tire.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
Nana and I have a scooter, but it's  bigger one; a Piaggio BV500. The front wheel is a 16", the rear a 14". It feels pretty good even on the Interstate and I've had it up over the ton (indicated). It's loads of fun for me, but Nana can barely touch her toes to the ground. We should probably trade it for something smaller...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here