Author Topic: Norge Tires  (Read 5676 times)

Offline Delta425

• New Egg
Norge Tires
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for tires for the Norge?  I see Competition Accessories has a set (yes, front and rear) of Continental Conti Motion Sport tourers for $180.  Anyone have experience with these tires on any bike - handling, braking, wet weather, longevity, etc?  Or, should I pay the over $300 for the Michelin Pilot Road 4's?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Offline esmurrell

• New Egg
Re: Norge Tires
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:37 AM »
I still have the Pirelli Angels that came with my Norge.  When they are ready to be replaced I will probably put them back on.  I really like them.  Just my $.02.

Eric
2014 BMW R1200RT
2012 MG Norge GT

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:20:10 AM »
I have Shinkos 009 Ravens front and rear.  I'm very satisfied with them.  I don't ride them easy either, I tend to yank and bank on my Norge.  I would recommend them highly, especially for the cost.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »
I have the Pilot RD4's on mine and after 2,000 miles they still look new.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »

Online guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:11:57 AM »
I really like the Avon storm 2 tires.

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:22:37 AM »
Pilot Roads are great!
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
 :+1 on the Angel GTs.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
I insist on Angel GTs for the Ducati but look for the best deal for the Norge, the way I ride the Norge it doesn't need the highest performance tire.
I would like to know what people think of the Conti motions because I would put them on the Big Girl if they are decent, the price is amazing.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Online gsf12man

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »
I had the Conti Motions on my Breva, really needed to save some $ at the next-to-last tire change. Many Pilot Roads among three different bikes before those. I didn't love the Motions, the rear one was 'way beyond toast at about 5500 miles. I can't say how much better the Pilot Roads (whichever generations they were) for life, but better than that; and I think the Pilot Roads ride better, too. About the best ride of any tire in my experience, actually. More confidence-inspiring handling, too, although it's fairly tough to find actual turns in the Dakotas to test that. I still have the front Conti Motion on the Breva, will see how much life is left in it this spring and summer. On the whole, I can't recommend them. (Sure loved the price, though.)

Every set of Pilot Roads I've had seemed quite noisy at first. Either I got used to that, or they quieted down with miles.

Tom
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 10:03:41 PM »
I've had both the Conti Motions and Pirelli Angel GTs on my Norge.  They both stick well enough for my needs, but the Pirellis last a lot longer. I was getting about 6,000 miles out of a Conti rear, the Angel GT rear lasted me close to 11,000 miles. 
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
The Michelin Pilot Roads are nice tires.  I've used the PR3 and thought it was really good.  Especially in torrential rain.

Also, the Metzeler ME880 radial is a good sport-TOURING tire.  You'll have to go 170/60-17 for the rear, but 10,000 miles from a sport-touring tire is nice.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »
  I put Bridgestone T30's on.  Not a bad tire, seem to be lasting well enough. the Pirelli angel St may have been a less responsive tire: read a little more stable. I would not be opposed to putting on Shinko's.  Many reports on Shinko Raven's but they have another tire the Verge 2X that is dual compound and may wear better if you are a highway rider as I am. Also the Verge is reportedly a little slower steering and I don't mind that the tire requires steering into turns rather than falling into turns.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 11:17:14 PM »
I feel like I tried every sport touring tire under the sun on my SV650. roadsmarts, angel ST, Bridgestone of some kind, Avon storms. None of them last more than 5000 miles, yet I knew people at the time that were getting 10k miles on Pilot Road 2s. I would go for either the PR4s or the Angel GTs right now, and I'm fast approaching the need for new tires too. Nothing else is going to last, and while you might spend more money up front now, it's going to cost you less in the long run because those long life tires will get double the mileage that a cheaper tire might.

Also, Avon has a bad reputation for their tires delaminating. Also, when I bought the SV it had a rear Avon with a wicked flat spot worn into it from the previous owner riding like a wuss.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 07:55:26 AM »
  I put Bridgestone T30's on.  Not a bad tire, seem to be lasting well enough. 

I'm really liking the T30 on my Sport 1100, but not many miles yet.  So, no idea on treadlife.

Sure seems like a great tire, though.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »
I have a set of Pilot Road 2 on my Norge. At 6300 miles right now and pretty sure there is a few hundred left in the rear. It has already passed the most mileage I have ever gotten out of a rear. We have a lot of chip seal pavement around eastern NC. That tends to decrease tire life pretty good. New set of Pilot Road 4 sitting here now waiting for the end of life of the 2! Nice to save a few bucks but I don't look to do that with tires on my bikes!
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline Delta425

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 10:37:03 AM »
Thanks everyone. Gonna stick with the Michelins. Talked with a couple other guys over the weekend that didn't have the best opinion of the Continental's compared to the Michelins. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here