Author Topic: Hard bags for 1400 Eldorado (2016)- need help  (Read 5268 times)

elvisboy77

Hard bags for 1400 Eldorado (2016)- need help
« on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »
I just heard back that there aren't any frames available yet to mount the Touring hard bags on my Eldorado.

I have the mounting frames for the smaller leather bags, so two questions:

1.  Could someone with a Touring send the basic dimensions for the bag- to - frame mounting points?  Don't need exact, just something close, so I can tell if it would be possible to make an adapter.

2. Has anyone purchased the smaller leather bags, and if so what are your impressions?  I think they also fit the Custom.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:42:59 PM by elvisboy77 »

Offline pocphil

• Owner - ClevelandMoto
  • Hatchling
    • ClevelandMoto
Re: Hard bags for Eldorado (2016)- need help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »
Ok, this is for John Henry and everyone else wanting Hard bags for their Eldo:

This is directly from PUSA: (my commentary is in parenthesis)

The black sidebag kit CM228701, (that is advertised on a number of websites as working with the Eldo, doesn't. And PUSA will be contacting those vendors) the leather covered sidebags B064239 and their installation bracket B064286 will also NOT work on the eldorado becuase of it�s different rear subframe and passenger seat/rack configuration.  It is in theory possible to make the CM228701 family work but it will involve changing the location of where the brackets (much cutting and welding) attach to the subframe and cutting holes in the plastic.  It�s not what I would recommend. (I'm putting this in the WAY more trouble than it's worth category).

The black sidebag kit CM228701 is supposed to come with the black version of B064286 (that's the way it's been advertised since our first one and we've ordered and installed these on customs with no problem).  They are on backorder from everyone, right now we are in the process of getting the production of these restarted and should have something in 2016. (so, even custom and audace owners may be on hold for a while if your dealer doesn't already have a set on the shelf).

Right now everyone�s orders are stopped, as soon as we have a shipment confirmed on the way, we will start from the oldest orders and confirm that they still need them before activating their order. (so, if you've called your dealer, and had him put an order in for you, and you called another dealer and did the same thing, hang in there. dealers will be contacted to ensure they actually want these things before they get buried in expensive kits people have found elsewhere).

There's your answer. Here's my opinion...It means nothing.

I personally don't care for the leather bags on the Eldo, I don't like leather bags on anything. I think this bike would look amazing with something that looks more like the Vintage Wixom, Buco or Arthur Fulmer hard bags. I think this bike has its own identity and as such would either benefit from giving it period correct bags.

Or just take the obvious solution and make us a bracket so we can mount up the very nice hard bags guzzi has already designed for the 1400. I have to believe this is already in the works. I have to believe I will have hard bags on my Eldorado 14oo before next season starts.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with PUSA and they assure me that they ARE definitely making a bracket kit that will allow you to mount bag kit CM228701 to your Eldorado, Look for it in the new year.  :food:

Arthur Fulmer Bags

Buco Bags

Wixom Bags

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:32:18 PM by pocphil »
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:17:47 PM »
I think a pair of these would look right on the Eldo.

'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
You might want to add 1400 to the Eldo title.  Makes a difference to original Eldo.  There is still a lot of the older ones on the road. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »

ff73148

Re: Hard bags for 1400 Eldorado (2016)- need help
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:26:02 PM »
I'm looking for someone who has mounted these bags on their Eldorado and how did they do it.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
Didn't someone mount the Cal 14 Tourer on the Eldorado? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
^ Didn’t Moto International do that?  It might be worth a telephone call.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 05:40:07 AM »
I'm looking for someone who has mounted these bags on their Eldorado and how did they do it.

You found me.

And, yes, Dave Richardson fitted a set to the Eldo that John in PA purchased. There is some fitting required. I'll be happy to go into detail later but I have to get ready to go to work soon.

John Henry

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 12:43:22 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 05:18:50 AM »
I will begin by saying that it is unclear weather or not Guzzi will actually come out with a dedicated hard bag option for the Eldo, but if you decide to proceed with this you need to order the bags, brackets and all associated hardware as if you were fitting these to a Cali Custom.

There is supposed to be a complete kit but when my dealer ordered things, the Guzzi parts person shipped about 1/2 of the hardware. Thankfully, I had gone to AF1's site and located the parts manual for a Touring and inventoried what I needed. I would suggest doing that just so you know what you should have prior to starting the install. Besides the bags and brackets, you should end up with a pretty good sized bag of bolts, washers and a variety of hardware. The parts diagram I mentioned above is also helpful in showing the location of all the stuff that will be used to attach the bags to the brackets and so on.

I installed all the rubber snubbers except the top rear one. That actually ends up behind the fender and if used, causes the fender to be pushed outward on that spot. There are 4 locations that mount the bags to the bracket. The rear bolt goes down through the bottom and that location remains unchanged. The other 3, which are on the side, will require some longer bolts and spacers. After partially assembling the set. I figured what I would need and headed off to the hardware store. You end up needing about 3/4" additional on all the side bolts in order to clear the shocks and fender. With a combination of fender washers, locking collars (which I removed the set screw on), and the longer bolts, I stood out the bags enough to clear things. On all but the bottom front bolt, there are some long narrow washers that fit from the inside with the bolts that distribute the load away from the head of the bolts. Normally, they will press the bag against the rubber snubbers on either side of the J nuts that the bolts go into. I hit the parts store and found a piece of heater hose that had the correct inside diameter to go over the snubbers and cut lengths of that to fill that gap left by spacing out the bags. Perhaps not gobs of support but it makes it look decent and probably helps stabilize the mounting a little. Once you have the brackets mounted on the bike, you will see what I mean regarding the rear upper bag mounting point, but with the right spacers, you can clear the edge of the fender. It makes sense when you look at it. The mounts themselves attach to the bike as they would on any Cali model. Nothing magic there.

I would think this is enough info for now. If you decide to proceed forward, and come up with more questions, dive back in and ask.

Having all the hardware, inventoried, laid out and ready will start to make sense moving forward. Be aware that the bags actually have metalic paint. Hardly noticeable when on the bike and it does not detract from the look. I added the pin stripe myself.

John Henry

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
Looks very nice!

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
Thanks Tom. They do look good on the bike.

ZZ

ff73148

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
Thanks for that explanation. After reading it I'm probably going with the C Bow mount and bags. I don't know why Guzzi doesn't doesn't come out with a mount for the Eldorado.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »
They probably didn't think that anyone would want to tour with it since they have the Cal 1400 Touring for sale at the same time.  :shocked:

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 06:05:20 PM »
I have the C Bow setup that I used a year. Nice bags, but I'll take the hard bags all day long. Btdt.

ZZ

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Thanks for that explanation. After reading it I'm probably going with the C Bow mount and bags. I don't know why Guzzi doesn't doesn't come out with a mount for the Eldorado.

I might add that 98% of the assembly is stock parts. It all comes in bags and you still have to assemble things. Only difference of 6 longer bolts and putting together some spacers. It's really not that big a deal.

I had, (still have), the C-Bows and the 35L H-B Buffalo bags. They're great bags as leather bags go. Not only do they lock to the mounts. they also lock closed. Very well made! But, it is much more involved getting in and out of them with the buckles and straps. Like all leather bags, you cannot expect them to be waterproof if you're traveling in the rain. So, now you have garbage bags inside with your stuff in them. It is just more effort from a user standpoint, that's all. Also, because of the mounting, I added a place on the back C Bow mount bolt to run a nylon strap through and around the grab rail when I knew I was stuffing the bags full of stuff for a trip.

image upload

They're certainly nice looking bags though:

But, so are these.............. ....

Both will cost about the same. The C-Bows have the edge when you need a rear tire. You do have to pull the hard bags and brackets to do that.

John Henry

ff73148

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »
Ordered the C-Bow bags today. Thanks for the photos.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here