Author Topic: The Dragon (BBC)  (Read 7753 times)

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The Dragon (BBC)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »
Everyone should go there and stay away from nw Arkansas and sw Missouri much better over there. Yep, much better.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »
The Dragon is a special place.  There's no road like it anywhere.  I know a couple of roads in Arkansas that I enjoy almost as much.  Some in Black Hills, Colo and New Mexico.

But there is only one Deal's Gap.

(yes it's too crowded in the summer on weekends)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:03:55 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:49:17 PM »
One of the most memorable rides I have been on is the Kancamagus Highway, just beautiful and fun.

http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:49:17 PM »

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:41 PM »
Interesting article, thanks for posting. I haven't ridden that road, but I've been hearing a lot about it lately. It's starting to make me think of a Yogi Berra-ism "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." At least I don't feel like going there on a weekend.

And maybe it's a matter of perspective, but 11 miles of twisties... so what? Are the roads in the Eastern US so boring that 11 miles of twisties are special? I'm not trying to be a downer here... but go almost anywhere in the Rockies or the Sierra Nevadas and you can find roads that are at least equally challenging - and they have massive elevation changes - and they go on for 50 or 100 miles. I've looked at "The Dragon" on a map - and used the same scale to look at roads I know in the Western mountains - the Dragon looks like a fine road, but it would just be a short, pleasant section in the West.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:24 PM »
Interesting article, thanks for posting. I haven't ridden that road, but I've been hearing a lot about it lately. It's starting to make me think of a Yogi Berra-ism "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." At least I don't feel like going there on a weekend.

And maybe it's a matter of perspective, but 11 miles of twisties... so what? Are the roads in the Eastern US so boring that 11 miles of twisties are special? I'm not trying to be a downer here... but go almost anywhere in the Rockies or the Sierra Nevadas and you can find roads that are at least equally challenging - and they have massive elevation changes - and they go on for 50 or 100 miles. I've looked at "The Dragon" on a map - and used the same scale to look at roads I know in the Western mountains - the Dragon looks like a fine road, but it would just be a short, pleasant section in the West.

There's a whooooooole lot of marketing going on .... it almost wouldn't matter what it actually IS any more; but in order to be real and have bragging rights and be "in", you HAVE to go there, and get the T-shirt.   That's what I hear, anyhow.

Sort of how you can know that is to see how the surrounding Tourist Bureaus have reacted.   Now every county from Beckley to Gainesville has a "Back of the Dragon" or "Claw of the Dragon" or "Devil's Triangle" or "Snake" or "Diamondback" or "Rattlesnake" or some other reptile that you must go and ride and get the T-shirt.

Sort of nice to be a major economic force in the world today - everyone's after us!

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:11:58 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »

well you took the proverbial words right out of my mouth ...scud.
and i do know this ...a great road i think has to give variety  and as you stated elevation change is a whole different challenge both up and down ..for me i like fast sweepers thrown in here and there as well as the tighter stuff .. we have a road here in British Columbia Canada , its called the Monashee hwy 6 from Fauquier to Lumby
 111 km  of some of the best and most technical riding you could hope for and you can ride it clean for the most part.

i would love to ride the Dragon but if its full of bikes , i would  have to pass
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:02:31 AM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »

...or some other reptile that you must go and ride and get the T-shirt.

Sort of nice to be a major economic force in the world today - everyone's after us!

Lannis

So it's just cold-blooded marketing?  Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm sure it's gorgeous, and if I were nearby with a spare day, I'd probably rent a motorcycle and check it out. But I try to avoid crowds like that - the more hype there is, the less I want to go.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »
 Rode the Dragon years ago , it wasn't famous at the time . Quite honestly the Talimena DR in Southeasten Oklahoma is more fun . 54 miles from end to end , high speed and low speed corners, good elevation changes , usually very little traffic , very light po po presence , and great places to stop and view the scenery .

Everyone should go there and stay away from nw Arkansas and sw Missouri much better over there. Yep, much better.

Well you are obviously correct John , I take back my comments on the Talimena DR , horrible awful place , cops everywhere , incredibly boring . Sheesh , temporary insanity must have struck again .

Dusty

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 10:37:40 PM »
I really enjoy riding the Dragon. That 11 mile stretch has no side roads or driveways connected to it plus there are numerous other very nice riding roads in the area.
North Carolina

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 10:49:29 PM »
I really enjoy riding the Dragon. That 11 mile stretch has no side roads or driveways connected to it plus there are numerous other very nice riding roads in the area.

Those are great features.  :thumb:  2,000 miles from me though. 

The best roads are the ones you actually ride.  :bike-037:

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »
I saw this on the BBC site, and it didn't excite me enough to post a reference. A pleasant little article, but nothing we haven't seen.

I tend to agree with Scud and Keener. I've done the Dragon, but I can think of dozens of roads in the west (US and Canada) that are more fun, more challenging, and way less crowded. For technical, perhaps the Old Mackenzie Highway in Oregon; for sweepers, the Lolo Pass; for sheer pleasure, the Beartooth outside Yellowstone. Of course, for sheer length (outside of tourist season) there's CA-1.

Even in the east, the roads around Dahlonega GA were more interesting to me than the Dragon.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 03:11:52 AM »
Its a BBC article, I'm in the UK and can't read it as its part of there international service  :laugh:

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 04:40:20 AM »
Rode the tail of the dragon a few years ago an it was fun. I wouldn't go out of my way to ride it again but if I was in the area I'd give it another whirl.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 05:27:31 AM »
Yeah, whatever.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 05:38:16 AM »
"You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye"
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 05:40:15 AM »
The one nice thing about the Dragon is all the wonderful roads you have to navigate in order to get to it. Just pick any direction and you wont be disappointed.
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 06:27:50 AM »
And maybe it's a matter of perspective, but 11 miles of twisties... so what?

This. Yeah, I've "done" the dragon a few times, but it's just not in the same league as some mountain roads in the west, IMHO.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 06:45:57 AM »
It's a cool stretch of road and the Tail is a nice little hangout spot especially if you've just come up 28.  I think the most dangerous aspect of that ride has become the sports car clubs that have started showing up.  They use all sorts of spotters to clear the road before a pack of them go flying through there.   Last time I was there one of the Nissan's was sideways in a ditch.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 06:49:21 AM »
I'd advise staying away from the whole border of Oklahoma and Arkansas as well as the North Cascades over Washington Pass,   :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 07:07:27 AM »
I agree that there is a lot of hype about the Dragon and having ridden it many times, I confess it isn't really all that much fun for me.  I prefer a little higher speed corners, but to each his own.  What I love about the Dragon is that it is a magnet for riders from all over the world and a great opportunity to meet and talk to international riders.  I look forward to hanging out at Deal's Gap and socializing more than the actual ride of the Dragon.  Having said that, it is a bucket list item and worth doing at least once.  Oh, and there are countless GREAT roads to explore in the area.
2009 Norge, Staintune, Helibars, lower pegs, Russell seat, Matris fork kit and shock, more to come...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Fuzzy

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGAdzn5_KU

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »
I posted it because BBC made note of it,please 'go ride it instead of the lousy roads we have here in SW Virginia/West Virginia.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »

:1: Yep, avoid SW Missouri and NW Arkansas at all costs !!  Went through there this past weekend, nothing to see at all -- :evil:

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
Having ridden the "Dragon" about a dozen times on my old K75 and a 900SS Duc. I can say it was more work than fun, now the same road on my V7C is pure joy. Feather lite handling and smooth midrange torque make it a snap. Personally, I think Wolf Pen is more picturesque and just as twisty, although a little short.   
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:02:38 AM by clubman »
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

bpreynolds

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 10:03:30 AM »

Except it's not just 11 miles of road; it's actually nearly 4000 square miles of roads that would take weeks and weeks and weeks for you to ride them all.  The Dragon is in the middle of 4 national forests that all meld together in one mass and dips into 4 different states. 

I've been a lot of beautiful places in my life here in the US and overseas, but I'm not exagerrating when I say it is the largest and most vast amount of quality riding roads I've ever seen.  Lakes upon lakes upon lakes, vistas upon vistas.  So yes, it is one of the greatest places ro ride in the States in my estimation.  I've been twice in the last year and probably covered 1500 miles or more just in the area and haven't even touched it. 

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=80097.0

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
A really big  :1: on that post. One of our best trips we rode from Gatlinburg to Cherokee to Fontana and on to the Dragon. Didn't even know the Dragon existed at the time. Had we stopped for every photo opportunity we would still be there 15 years later.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »

well said, I don't know a stretch of road anywhere to compare it too.  And Deal's Gap and Hwy 28 to Highlands and Cherohala Skyway are just the icing on the cake.

I've ridden all over Arkansas, a bit in southern Mo, Colo and NM, Talemena Dr, none can compare.  But it's too commercial and it's just ruined on the weekends.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:59:51 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »
that's the deal, its too crowded for me :sad:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »
I could get really enthusiastic about riding that whole region. In fact, when I looked at The Dragon on a map I did think - "there's roads in them there hills..."  IMHO the article gave too much attention to one stretch of road. Maybe it's a need to focus on a highlight or destination, vs a total experience or a journey.

It's true where I live too. For example, there's a great road up and down Palomar Mountain, which just gets too crowded and I avoid it because of all the racing that goes on (especially weekends). But there are loads of great roads in the area.

I have not yet met a national forest (or national park) that I didn't love.  :thumb:  I am positively itching to get back into the Sequoia National Forest.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here