Author Topic: Touring bike questions  (Read 6207 times)

Offline keener

• Gosling
Touring bike questions
« on: January 29, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
This year i have decided to acquire a used bike for long distance touring....
the bike must be comfortable for all day..passenger comfort is important because of some back issues.
Reliability is of course is expected ..Price is important aswell
I am considering a newer Stelvio  2013 plus... Perhaps a Cali 1400 2014   
a Cali Vintage 2007 has come up for sale  , and believe it or not a 2006 Yamaha Road liner deluxe.. the price is awesome the bike well loved .
Any input would be appreciated, i am new to floorboards and cruisers , but in this case and for the intended purpose they would probably be fine ...as i have other bikes to play with solo  :smiley:
Thank you

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:30:38 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Touring bike questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:58:27 PM »
Unfortunately the real input has to come from you and your pillion.

All the mentioned choices have the ability to fill the role.

It's going to come down to preferences.

I will say that if roominess is a factor the bigger the bike (frame/length/wheelbase) the more you'll get.

I'm not familiar enough with the Yamaha but of the others the Cal-Vin would offer the least roominess and the Cali 1400 the most.

If weight or height are concerns the Cali 1400 is the heaviest of the 3, but shortest (which helps hide the weight).

If smoothness underway is a concern the Cali 1400 gets the nod.

But ergos and what puts a smile on the rider's face are very personal.

Me, I'd choose the Cali 1400 from that group. My Jackal was fine but really no bigger or more comfortable than my Sportster 1200 (not by any significant amount, maybe just a hair more wheelbase and length).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
Everyone's different, but I couldn't even put the Cal 1400 and the Stelvio in the same category.

The Cal 1400 is a "cruiser-style" tourer.   Your feet are out front, your butt is sitting low, and your hands are up HERE when you're riding.

The Stelvio is an "adventure-bike-style" tourer.   Your feet are right under your butt, you're sitting high, and the handlebars are right in front of you and low-ish.

On one of those bikes, I'm miserable after 100 miles.   On the other (with a custom seat, like I have on all my bikes) I can ride all day, one-up or two-up.

MIGHT be the same with you; you can handle either type, or it's backwards from me.

Gotta try them!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Andy1

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 02:09:26 PM »
Footboards and high bars do not necessrily make you more comfortable - particularly if you have a back.  A bit of weight on your legs can be better, particularly over the bumps, so the riding position of a Norge or Breva may be most comfortable.
You will just have to ride a few bikes and see what works for you.  :thumb:

Other things: most bikes will take panniers, top box and tank bag.  How much weather protection you want depends on you.  People have ridden around the world on ancient naked bikes (read Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon) but a fairing can make things more comfortable.

Andy1

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 02:09:26 PM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
2014 Victory Vision (now "extinct...")  :wink: :huh: :shocked: :rolleyes: :thumb: :cool:

The most comfortable and reliable "two-up" cruiser I have ever owned...and I had put >125,000 miles on four Big Twin Harleys - two Electra Glide Sports - FLH-S and two Road Kings - FLHRI)

* 25 inches off the ground (I added the factory lowering kit)
* 106 cubic inch, fuel-injected V-twin
* Belt drive, 6 speed
* 871 pounds
* 45-48 MPG loaded @ 75 mph
* Electric windshield, 2-stage heated grips / seat
* Plenty of cargo room

NOTE:  The wife loves riding on the back and it is very comfortable. 

If you are just riding SOLO, there many other choices, like a dual-sport Stelvio, or R1200GS, or mabye a Norge, BMW R1200RT, California, Honda F6B, etc. etc. 

Just buy a bike that "fits" you body-type (height and weight) and sits comfortably for you!  Good luck!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:28:37 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »

If you are just riding SOLO, there many other choices, like a dual-sport Stelvio, or R1200GS, or mabye a Norge, BMW R1200RT, California, Honda F6B, etc. etc. 

Back when we were looking for a touring bike, Fay and I rode them ALL .... Harleys, ST1300s, Gold Wings, Norges, Californias .... and found that the roomiest two-up bike for us together (me 6'2" 32" inseam her 5'8" 34" inseam) was the Guzzi Stelvio.

For us, the big, monstrously heavy cruisers are pretty uncomfortable if you're going to be out for a week or two ...

I know I already said that, but I couldn't help noticing that you characterized the Stelvio as suitable for one person but not two .... !

Lannis

Offline MAC

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
Get a Goldwing,oh did I say that out loud sorry. :wink:
Mike Cignarella
1998 EV
2008 Wing
2015 K1600GT

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
I've been enjoying my V-Strom. Inexpensive, reliable and comfortable.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
Back when we were looking for a touring bike, Fay and I rode them ALL .... Harleys, ST1300s, Gold Wings, Norges, Californias .... and found that the roomiest two-up bike for us together (me 6'2" 32" inseam her 5'8" 34" inseam) was the Guzzi Stelvio.

For us, the big, monstrously heavy cruisers are pretty uncomfortable if you're going to be out for a week or two ...

I know I already said that, but I couldn't help noticing that you characterized the Stelvio as suitable for one person but not two .... !

Lannis

Yes, you are correct...but let me clarify...both the Stelvio and the R1200GS could easily be set up to tour with two people comfortably...no problem....I guess what I meant to say is that a bigger bike, like the Goldwing or Victory or big touring Harley's might be more comfortable for a passenger...but then again, depends on the persons size and stature, yes?
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline derekwiltshire

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
I run a Cali 1400 and have done 11000 miles on it in 7 months and am often in the saddle for 6 plus hours at a stretch and still look forward to getting back on again. Handlebar riders and Corbyn seat make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
Goldwing or ultra classic Harley for serious all day, day after day ridding and yes I still love my calvin.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »
Yes, you are correct...but let me clarify...both the Stelvio and the R1200GS could easily be set up to tour with two people comfortably...no problem....I guess what I meant to say is that a bigger bike, like the Goldwing or Victory or big touring Harley's might be more comfortable for a passenger...but then again, depends on the persons size and stature, yes?

Absolutely depends on a person's (or the 2 person's) size and stature .... Whatever the longest far away the passenger pegs can be from the seat is what Fay wants!   A 90 degree or less angle on her knees when riding really hurts at the end of the day ....

We sat on dozens of bikes ... and I'm mighty afraid that if someone advises "Get a big ol' Gold Wing, that'll be comfortable", the advisee is liable to be sadly disappointed ....

Lannis

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 05:43:49 PM »
Absolutely depends on a person's (or the 2 person's) size and stature .... Whatever the longest far away the passenger pegs can be from the seat is what Fay wants!   A 90 degree or less angle on her knees when riding really hurts at the end of the day ....

We sat on dozens of bikes ... and I'm mighty afraid that if someone advises "Get a big ol' Gold Wing, that'll be comfortable", the advisee is liable to be sadly disappointed ....

Lannis
This is not an argument question Lannis but have you ever put a 500+ mile day on a large touring bike like a wing or Electra glide, as I have found they are very easy on the body. That kind of ridding weight is your friend. That weight is only aggravating when you are stopping or trying to manage the bike at walking speed. I've ridden all styles and sizes and I'll take the big boys ridding two up, 500 mile days any day over any of the lighter bikes regardless of make.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:47:29 PM by Ncdan »

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
It's such a personal thing, as Lannis has said.  I bought a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (full size cruiser) thinking it would be an ideal two-up touring bike. I found it uncomfortable for anything more than a few miles and never got used to the absurd, foot forwards riding position. I raised the saddle, tilted it - tried everything - but it made my backside ache. My wife didn't find it comfortable for even short trips.

But....I can ride the 72 Eldorado all day every day, and 12 hours on the Nuovo Falcone is nothing (not that I'd recommend it for two-up touring, especially if interstates were involved  :wink:). 

See if you can find someone to lend you (or rent you) a bike you're interested in and go for a really long ride. It's the only way to find out.  Thinking a bike is comfortable in the showroom will get you precisely nowhere.

Good luck

Nick

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
     I have a 14 Touring and love it, but I'm riding solo. Seating position for me is like sitting in a chair and the ride is very smooth.  I've done a few 400 mile days and the first year was no problem. This past year became uncomfortable on my butt after about 300 miles or so (I think I lost some muscle in my butt over the year). I'm going to try a Corbin seat this year. I have a backrest on mine but it is low and I don't think it would be comfortable for a passenger for very long but it depends on your passenger needs. Good luck.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
It's such a personal thing, as Lannis has said.  I bought a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (full size cruiser) thinking it would be an ideal two-up touring bike. I found it uncomfortable for anything more than a few miles and never got used to the absurd, foot forwards riding position. I raised the saddle, tilted it - tried everything - but it made my backside ache. My wife didn't find it comfortable for even short trips.

But....I can ride the 72 Eldorado all day every day, and 12 hours on the Nuovo Falcone is nothing (not that I'd recommend it for two-up touring, especially if interstates were involved  :wink:). 

See if you can find someone to lend you (or rent you) a bike you're interested in and go for a really long ride. It's the only way to find out.  Thinking a bike is comfortable in the showroom will get you precisely nowhere.

Good luck

Nick
I'm not familiar with the Yamaha, but I would have thought it similar to the Harley FLH's, which in turn I think are similar to 70's Eldos at least in ergos.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
Roper has a "noice" Stelvio he might let go, he doesn't like it much. As for your mega tourer, there are only 3 worth considering. A Red Norge, Black Norge or a..... Silver Norge !!!! Please though, not too many valves, can be troublesome at the North Pole.  :bike-037:

Online Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
Harley Ultra is extremely comfortable for all day riding for both rider and passenger. Also has SiriusXM, smartphone link, NAV, and excellent 4-way sound system. They have been making touring bikes for a long long time and have succeeded in creating total comfort.
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
Harley Ultra is extremely comfortable for all day riding for both rider and passenger. Also has SiriusXM, smartphone link, NAV, and excellent 4-way sound system. They have been making touring bikes for a long long time and have succeeded in creating total comfort.
Ok to pick up WHEN they fall over in the mud at a camping ground are they ??

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Ok to pick up WHEN they fall over in the mud at a camping ground are they ??
Actually, from experience, you'd be surprised how easy they are to pick up thanks to low center of gravity.

My Road King was easier to pickup than my R1100RS for that reason.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »

Good luck

Nick
You could pull the thread now, 'cos that's all you needed to hear.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:12:52 PM by Huzo »

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 08:14:01 PM »
Check out the Honda ST1300.  One nice ride.  Not "special" like our Guzzis, though.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 08:15:20 PM »
This is not an argument question Lannis but have you ever put a 500+ mile day on a large touring bike like a wing or Electra glide, as I have found they are very easy on the body. That kind of ridding weight is your friend. That weight is only aggravating when you are stopping or trying to manage the bike at walking speed. I've ridden all styles and sizes and I'll take the big boys ridding two up, 500 mile days any day over any of the lighter bikes regardless of make.

And this isn't an argument answer (can't be since there's no right or wrong), but with 475,000 miles in 47 years on 33 motorcycles, I've found it hard to avoid having a bit of experience with about every style of bike there is.

I've had 3 Harley Big Twins and a Guzzi Cal III among those, and I have a Triumph Trophy SE 1200 at present.   The Harleys and the Cal III had to find another home.

Regardless of the weight of the bike ("Yeah boy, them big bikes hold the road better, buddy, they hold the road" as the old guys would say), Fay and I have found that "sit on your spine" touring bikes just won't do it for us.   It hurts, don't care how soft the seat is or how cushy the suspension, and Fay is the same way.   Neither one of us can "lay back" in some armchair on the road and be comfy on those.   

We both like sitting in a "Pay Attention" position.   Not a racing crouch, but a sort of forward/upright position exactly like the Stelvio or the Triumph, with our feet under our center of mass, so we can stand up to stretch our legs or (for Fay) to take a picture under way, and plenty of room between the seat and pegs.   Even Barcalounger-looking bikes sometimes don't have that room.

Well, as Huzo said, enough about all that - it should be obvious by now that there is no one "Most Comfortable" touring bike that will work for everyone.   I hope the OP will take everyone's advice to "Ride one and Try It!"

Lannis

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »
We tried on a Stelvio in the showroom for size with the bags an a top box on..
Pam is a small person 5ft 4...115 lbs she was comfy and so was I... just sitting there..
She loves a back rest and the security it provides ..
She was equally comfy on a Yamaha Roadliner 1900 , so was I  but again..just sitting there..
thing is long test rides on either bike is not going to happen...

Currently we ride together on a 2005 1000s Multi , the rear seat is not to bad for her but...three hours max ..is the limit .
The Stelvio by comparison is much better for a pillion just by the seat and also the storage available ..
The Roadliner for me is foreign as it is a cruiser , never had one but then again lotsa people do and this bike would primarily be for two up ..and if you read about them they are well loved for almost everything they do.
two radically different bikes for example but each would work in this venue..
Frick i also found a old Wing 1985  15000 km / 9800 original miles ..original owner .. heard the thing was showroom..phoned him up , he said he sold it to first guy that showed up for his asking price of $4500.00..
He rode it twice a year , kept it up and then got old , decided to sell... i missed the opportunity by one day.
I sold those bikes back in the day, and they were a great bike  and very comfy too.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:57:39 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 08:34:18 PM »
Actually, from experience, you'd be surprised how easy they are to pick up thanks to low center of gravity.

My Road King was easier to pickup than my R1100RS for that reason.
Oh OK then Kev. That's something I wouldn't have guessed but I accept it since you've owned both. BTW why did you need to pick up your R 1100 S ? :weiner:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
And this isn't an argument answer (can't be since there's no right or wrong), but with 475,000 miles in 47 years on 33 motorcycles, I've found it hard to avoid having a bit of experience with about every style of bike there is.

I've had 3 Harley Big Twins and a Guzzi Cal III among those, and I have a Triumph Trophy SE 1200 at present.   The Harleys and the Cal III had to find another home.

Regardless of the weight of the bike ("Yeah boy, them big bikes hold the road better, buddy, they hold the road" as the old guys would say), Fay and I have found that "sit on your spine" touring bikes just won't do it for us.   It hurts, don't care how soft the seat is or how cushy the suspension, and Fay is the same way.   Neither one of us can "lay back" in some armchair on the road and be comfy on those.   

We both like sitting in a "Pay Attention" position.   Not a racing crouch, but a sort of forward/upright position exactly like the Stelvio or the Triumph, with our feet under our center of mass, so we can stand up to stretch our legs or (for Fay) to take a picture under way, and plenty of room between the seat and pegs.   Even Barcalounger-looking bikes sometimes don't have that room.

Well, as Huzo said, enough about all that - it should be obvious by now that there is no one "Most Comfortable" touring bike that will work for everyone.   I hope the OP will take everyone's advice to "Ride one and Try It!"

Lannis
Touche'Lannis. Obviously happy to read on with this thread. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek actually, but I reckon "What's his name" is spot on all the same. Doesn't matter what bike you're on, it'll just hurt in a different place.$$$$$$$$$$

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
Again...and as others have mentioned...select the bike that fits YOU and YOUR PASSENGER comfortably. 

I almost bought a Gold Wing, and test rode several, but my wife, who has 32 years of riding on the back with me, with many bikes / models / brands, etc....chose the Victory Vision as the most comfortable bike.  As the Chinese say:  "Happy Wife - Happy Life!"

Another data point:  When you take a long overnight trip, several hundred miles from home...what do you see mostly on the road these days?  My observation:  Gold Wings...Big Twin Harley's of all shapes and sizes...BMW's, mostly the R1200GS series...and the occasional sport touring bike (usually with solo riders). :thumb: :cool:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:33:12 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »

Lannis
you are right on your talking points on ridding position as I have logged thousands of miles ridding the upright style but with my feet foreword and yea after a while it's nice to get the feet under ones self to take the weight off your spine. Like I said I have ridden both ways on different bikes and to tell the truth after 3-4 hundred miles in a day I want off either one, lol

photohost free
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:43:34 PM by Ncdan »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 11:53:48 PM »
I run a Cali 1400 and have done 11000 miles on it in 7 months and am often in the saddle for 6 plus hours at a stretch and still look forward to getting back on again. Handlebar riders and Corbyn seat make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where in Surrey geez ? welcome BTW.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »
Oh OK then Kev. That's something I wouldn't have guessed but I accept it since you've owned both. BTW why did you need to pick up your R 1100 S ? :weiner:
Embarrassing story while dating Jenn that proves even one or two beers is dangerous or maybe that women can make us stupid.

After dining out, walked back to bike parked on centerstand (titled back on rear wheel because of topcase weight).

Started and idled bike while checking lights like I always do, leaned back to see tail light as I casually picked up my foot to depress brake pedal while standing on LEFT side of bike.

[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]

Yup, snicked the running bike into gear and attempted to recover from the mistake while the now rotating rear wheel pushed it off the centerstand. Tried to catch it, but not far enough.

She married me anyway (but insisted on her own bike a few years later, go figure). [emoji28]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:13:23 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here