Author Topic: Here's a different solution to being seen  (Read 5488 times)

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
Here's a different solution to being seen
« on: March 30, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
Saw this on another site & thought it wa worth passing along;

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brakefree-the-smart-brake-light-for-motorcyclists-motorcycle#/

Comments ?
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

beetle

Re: Here's a different solution to being seen
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
Stupidest thing I've ever seen. You do know that attaching things to your helmet voids the warranty?

I can see it now. You drop your head on the tarmac and die. Your can't sue the helmet manufacturer because you had an unapproved doo-hickey attached to noggin protector.

Besides, if you listen to music while riding and you nod your head to a boppy song, you'll turn into a mobile disco.

:laugh:

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
Only 8 hrs. of battery life?!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »
Stupidest thing I've ever seen. You do know that attaching things to your helmet voids the warranty?

I can see it now. You drop your head on the tarmac and die. Your can't sue the helmet manufacturer because you had an unapproved doo-hickey attached to noggin protector.

Besides, if you listen to music while riding and you nod your head to a boppy song, you'll turn into a mobile disco.

And here was me thinking that "listening to music while riding" and nodding your head in time would be the stupidest thing I've ever seen ....  :grin:

Who's going to sue the helmet manufacturer anyway if they die with one of these things on?     :boxing::boxing:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »
  I would have enjoyed it more if the damn sound track didn't follow after leaving the thread.
 It's a nuisance to have to leave the net and boot back in just to kill the sound track.
 I make it a point to never buy anything from any company that uses this technique.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penderic

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »
I used to know a strange Canadian guy, with an old ratty Triumph, that would drag a pair of steel heel/nailed boots on the highway and make lots of sparks. He thought it was funny. Not to me following him. Silly ass. Very dangerous back in the days of dripping gas from those leaking Amal carbs!

Probably driving one of these now ...

Before modern brake lasers, other methods of increasing braking awareness, were tried.

beetle

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »
Lannis
>preparing to insert sense of humour <
FAIL
>attempt 2<
FAIL
>attempt 3<
FAIL
>humour insertion: action aborted<

end

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:36 PM »
I like that thing and think it is a great idea.  I think there is a market for it.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
I think it's a good idea. I just read the whole site - and am even thinking about backing it.

Thanks for sharing it.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »
Cars now have a similar high brake light.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
 Brings a whole new definition to the phrase, "Light Headed".
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
Lannis
>preparing to insert sense of humour <
FAIL
>attempt 2<
FAIL
>attempt 3<
FAIL
>humour insertion: action aborted<

end

Just two simple rules to remember, and it'll solve all these communication issues, plus puts YOU in control.

1.  If YOU'RE joking, then I'M joking.

2.  If YOU'RE not joking, then I'M not joking.

Like Major Payne's "little trick", it works every time!!   :thumb:

Lannis

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:05 AM »

If that is the stupidest thing you have ever seen, then you lead a strange, sheltered life.

Looks reasonable to me, although in CA with legal lane splitting I am not so concerned about being rear ended.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
So its the stupidest thing 'cause you can't sue?

WOW!

Only in the USA!

And you're gonna laugh when you look back at what country the comment actually CAME from .... !!

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »

Offline Ken Po

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »
My GMAX helmet had a light on the back.  You could set it to steady or flashing or off.  There was another wireless device you could buy from them that made the helmet light go on when you hit the brakes.
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
2012 Griso SE (Tenni)
2009 Yamaha FZ1

"Those are my principles.  If you don't like 'em, I have others."  Groucho

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »
Another solution: https://vololights.com/
I have this on my bikes.
Easy, Works great.
No batteries, just tap into the license plate light power.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
Another solution: https://vololights.com/
I have this on my bikes.
Easy, Works great.
No batteries, just tap into the license plate light power.

That accelerometer setup is a great thing, but I think the point of the helmet light is to get the light up to where people behind you are "used to" looking for it, now that all the cars have brake lights up in the back window ....

Lannis

beetle

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
If that is the stupidest thing you have ever seen, then you lead a strange, sheltered life.

Not sheltered, but certainly strange.   :evil:

Attention Americans:  I was being facetious.

facetious
fəˈsiːʃəs/
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant.
"a facetious remark"
synonyms:   flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, waggish, whimsical, joking, jokey, jesting, jocular, playful, roguish, impish, teasing, arch, mischievous, puckish;

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
I zip tie a rear light to my cycle helmet. I actually have three, one on my helmet, one on the seat post and one on the carrier. Most car owners seem to disengage the brain when putting car in to gear, so I try to be visible.

I personally thought that a helmet brake light was actually a good idea. (especially after being rear ended a couple of times by cars)
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline shaka

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »
I just funded the BrakeFree Helmet light. It'll be in production April, 2018, long enough away so I got an "Early Bird" 35% discount off MSRP. I like how it functions and the apparent brightness of the LEDs. I figure every little bit helps keep me in one piece.
1998 V11 EV
Long Ago:
Norton Fastback
R50/2
R60/5

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 11:56:26 AM »
People, listen. (Okay, read);

It doesn't make a hill of beans what you wear. THEY WILL NOT AND DO NOT SEE YOU!

You could have police lights and sirens going and be towing a flashing UFO behind you and if you THINK you're gonna be okay, you're GOING TO DIE!

Now, I don't want to preach or nothing, but the SECOND you take your own safety for granted, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

IF you think that there is some gizmo or gadget that will give you a false sence  of security , go ahead and get it. MAYBE it might prevent one, maybe two people from killing you, but in the end Your Safety depends on YOUR ability to recognize and react to any given situation. Not the other person.

Yes, some things get the attention of some drivers.  But DO NOT think for a second the next guy will see you. Or, you gonna die😀

Ok, I guess I did preach a little bit 😁 but remember, if you put yourself in a mindset that you're going to be visible to ALL drivers ALL the time, you're gonna die.

The reason for this rant is because a good friend of mine bought a KTM and got a bright orange and black riding jacket, too. He asked me straight out, " do you think they'll see me now" and I looked him directly in the eyes and said"NO".

It's easy to forget that they don't always see you. Don't let something give you a false sense of security about it.☺☺
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

beetle

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 05:10:03 PM »

It doesn't make a hill of beans what you wear. THEY WILL NOT AND DO NOT SEE YOU!

:1:  You should always ride like they're out to get you. Always.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
And here was me thinking that "listening to music while riding" and nodding your head in time would be the stupidest thing I've ever seen ....  :grin:

Who's going to sue the helmet manufacturer anyway if they die with one of these things on?     :boxing::boxing:

I find listening to music while riding very dangerous unless you're out in the middle of nowhere.   Even then it could get you in trouble because you're not watching the road 100% of the time as part of your brain is locked onto listening to the music.  Your reflexes are going to be slower if anything unusual suddenly happens.  :evil:

Just like Tom S. says, just because you are more visible doesn't mean someone else near you is always going to see you.  Just yesterday a 20 yo truck driver managed to kill 13 people in a church van head on crossing the line on a curve because he was texting in Texas.   :violent1:   :copcar:

As far as being seen from behind, I count on my white helmet and reflective material on my jacket.  :azn:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:18:05 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
Lots of hate, using the same (incorrect) logic that often emerges in discussions about ABS in motorcycles. It usually goes: Any additional conspicuity (or brake augmentation, concerning ABS) will only result in riders with reduced skills because the rider switches of his/her brain (or otherwise surrenders responsibility) when using said device.

There are riders who abdicate responsibility for their well-being, blaming everyone else for their close calls & accidents. But they are not (IMO) created on the day they they install or buy helmet-mounted brake lights, ABS and the like. If they sucked before, they'll suck after.

For the riders who believe in managing risks through skills development, mindset and quality gear & equipment, things like ABS and additional lighting are not a threat.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
Warning: thread drift.

Stupidest thing I've seen are the testicles some people put on their trucks.

There's truth in Tom's words.

Rich A

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »
Lots of hate, using the same (incorrect) logic that often emerges in discussions about ABS in motorcycles. It usually goes: Any additional conspicuity (or brake augmentation, concerning ABS) will only result in riders with reduced skills because the rider switches of his/her brain (or otherwise surrenders responsibility) when using said device.

There are riders who abdicate responsibility for their well-being, blaming everyone else for their close calls & accidents. But they are not (IMO) created on the day they they install or buy helmet-mounted brake lights, ABS and the like. If they sucked before, they'll suck after.

For the riders who believe in managing risks through skills development, mindset and quality gear & equipment, things like ABS and additional lighting are not a threat.

Sorry, Sean, my take on someone who is so paranoid they're going to get hit from the rear so they need a big brake light on the back of their head too while riding should quit riding and should stick to 4 wheels instead.  If I actually thought others are out to kill me as I ride I wouldn't ride any more.  :wink:

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 11:45:08 PM »
So you've disabled your rear brake light, right? Because:

1. Having one just means you're being paranoid. Maybe it's time to give up motorcycling.
2. If you have one you've obviously given up all sense of self-preservation and rely on your brake light to get you through your motorcycling life.

Guys, it's a bright flashy light on your helmet, arguably a "better" brake light than stock because it senses deceleration w/o brake usage. If you want to cast asparagus at dubious safety claims, let's have a thread on Loud Pipes Save Lives.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:24:22 AM by SeanF »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here