Author Topic: NGC - has it really been 100 years?  (Read 5178 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
NGC - has it really been 100 years?
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Several years ago, one of my sons gave me a model of a WW1 SPAD.  I've kept it on top of a china cabinet, where it looks down on the room from  a lofty height of 7 or 8 feet.

I looked at it this evening, and thought ...... damn ...... it has been 100 years since French, American, Italian, and other nationalities flew these biplanes in combat.

The SPAD was powered by a V8 Hispano Suiza engine.  Amazing .... they actually designed an engine that advanced that long ago.

The first SPAD I saw was in 1948 - 49, when the new Kanawha Airport opened in Charleston, WV.   A WW1 SPAD was flown at the opening, along with a Curtiss pusher.  It had a lot to do with Eastern Airlines, and Eddie Rickenbacker, since he'd been a founder of that company.  I was 6 years old and still remember it today.  My dad took me to the opening.

Bob

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

twowings

Re: NGC - has it really been 100 years?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »
Nothing like two wings!  :cool:

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:05:38 PM »
Anyone that flew anything in WWI had big brass ones.  :bow:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »
While I admire all airmen of WWI, there's a problem with the premise.

WWI began on either June 28th 1914 (assassination of Archduke Ferdinand) or August 1st 2014 (first declarations of war outside the Austro-Hungarian Empire).

It has been very nearly 103 years.

It would be a long time before the US entry to the war, and they would enter using a lot of equipment - including planes - from the countries already engaged. Consider what might have been the situation had the US military enthusiastically accepted the overtures from the Wrights and other innovators, and if the US had engaged in 1915 when American civilians were first made casualties...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:42:16 PM »
I'm not certain what you think the premise is........

I was simply making a comment that the Spad fighter had been developed nearly 100 years ago, along with the engine that powered it.  If you're debating whether I said 100 years or 103 years, you're picking at nits.  My  post wasn't intended to be a political commentary on how or why the USA did or didn't jump into the war sooner or later.  It was simply a statement about technology from 100 years ago.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:46:22 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
I'm not certain what you think the premise is........

I was simply making a comment that the Spad fighter had been developed nearly 100 years ago, along with the engine that powered it.  If you're debating whether I said 100 years or 103 years, you're picking at nits.  My  post wasn't intended to be a political commentary on how or why the USA did or didn't jump into the war sooner or later.

What can I say? I was a history major at a Canadian university, and I once met the author of "The Guns of August'....  :wink:

As I said, I have great admiration for all the aviators of that age,who got into their machines knowing the odds were against them with each and every flight. The SPAD VII and XIII were great examples of the achievements and failures of the era, with a knife edge separating performance (and survival) from reliability (and survival). Every war leads to a rapid increase in technology, and WWI was perhaps the most extreme example, with each new technology so revolutionary that it was as dangerous to its users and to the enemy.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:03:08 AM »
I love WWI planes!

The German  'Albatross' is my favorite.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 03:23:04 AM »
What can I say? I was a history major at a Canadian university, and I once met the author of "The Guns of August'....  :wink:

You were very privileged to meet such august company.

Barbara Tuchman, a fantastic historian and author, able to make history read like a thriller. Thoroughly recommend her work.

Guns of August and the Zimmerman Telegram are both great reads.

Another brilliant author in her peer group is Robert K Massie, get a hold of "Castles of Steel"

Probably my all time favorite book, detailing the British Naval activities during WWI. I found the book pretty much one these un-put-downable tomes.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 05:59:17 AM »
I also love the SPAD.  My favorite model airplane to fly as well.  Mine is 1/6 scale and is 12yrs old now.  Why the SPAD?  It was the plane Frank Luke flew (he was also from Phx and my family knew his family).  He was also the first aviator to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. 

Daring?  Yep.  He decided he wanted instant respect from the other pilots so he went after balloons (used for artillery spotting and usually protected by ground anti-aircraft guns as well as other aircraft).  He earned all of his kills in a total of 19 days of flying.  Yep days.  He was shot down on his last mission and killed by German infantry.

The SPAD XIII had the later Hispano Suiza engine that developed 200hp from 12L displacement.  Water cooled.  Geared so they could get more revs with the huge props they put on those planes (around 16ft dia props).  The gearbox was a problem.  Reliability very poor.  Some days 12 planes would start out and only 3 or 4 would reach the front.  Luke, in his short flying time, went through 5 planes in those 19 days (only one from enemy fire, IIRC).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »
Wow Charlie, that is one big control line model. :grin:

Seriously, I realize it is likely RC. I would love to see a pic of it if you have one. :boozing:

When I was a kid, I built many models. I always liked the biplanes simply because I thought they were beautiful.  To one point, I had 80 model planes of various eras and various scales hanging from my bedroom ceiling. Always loved airplanes.

Thinking back on the advancements in technology, I usually think of someone born near the end of the 1800's that saw the advent of pretty much everything we now take for granted. To have witnessed that first hand would have been an amazing thing. Electricity, rail roads, flight, space flight, telephones, cell phones, automobiles, etc. In no particular order. So much advancement in one lifetime.

John Henry

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 06:45:13 AM »
Eh, I think those new fangled monoplanes are just a passing fad.. <snapping suspenders>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 06:47:58 AM »
I had a similar childhood experience, Bob. My folks took me to Rhinebeck Field in New York when I was eleven. I can still remember standing with my eyes tilted up; watching that Fokker Dr1 make lazy passes overhead. My grandfather was a flier during WWI, but he flew for the Signal Corps. They would reel out wire for field telephones to connect the front lines to command and control locations. It was a heck of a thing for a guy raised on a pig and horseradish farm...

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Mark Harpell

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »
You all need to come on up and visit this place....
http://owlshead.org/
Mark

Offline Mark Harpell

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »
Mark

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 08:12:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/EdJjQdA-q-k?list=PLB2vhKMBjSxP4G7pljFCWC9B2t_wo0twt
I got hooked on these about The Great War. those old boys had some rough duty in this complex war where the world was introduced to mechanized killing.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
You all need to come on up and visit this place....
http://owlshead.org/

One of my very favorite museums..  :smiley: I found this project there. Suddenly, it's 1930..
2016-03-08_02-59-06 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »
I am lucky enough to have Wright Patterson AFB and the Air Force Museum about 50 miles from here. Its been a while since I have been there, but might be a good day trip with the grandson!
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
Eh, I think those new fangled monoplanes are just a passing fad.. <snapping suspenders>

Yep , like the helicopter , unproven technology  :grin:

Dusty

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:36 PM »
With all the Viking tv shows, and sword "play" in so many movies; I have always thought I am happy not to live in that time. 
You had to be big, or fast , or eagle eyed..today you  only need a pistol, which is why I think a realiable pistol and ammo is the game changer in modern life relations.

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
If you want to get an idea of how tough flying fighter planes was, read the two volume biography of Capt. Roy Brown, the Canadian pilot officially credited with downing von Richthofen. It takes the reader through his initial training at the Wright Brothers School, then to England and finally to France. Though he never lost a pilot under his command, he himself crashed many times due to engine failure, damaged props, etc.

As the planes got more advanced the pilots flew patrols at least twice a day at altitudes of 18,000 feet. Even when it was scorching hot on the ground they had to dress for winter because of the extremely cold temperatures at those altitudes. As a result, many pilots who survived the war still died relatively early from the affects of those patrols. Extremely cold, no supplemental oxygen, etc.

Crashing was a common occurrence even without help from the enemy. If an engine stalled on take-off the pilot, especially a novice, was often doomed.

There were also many interesting tidbits you'd never think about. Some pilots looked over at the plane next to them and saw it disintegrate in midair because it was hit by an artillery shell. Some pilots saw small arms bullets come within arm's lengths of them as the bullets reached their maximum height before they fell to earth.

It was common knowledge to pilots that if you were chasing an enemy plane and heard gunfire behind you, you were dead if you looked for it. You learned to immediately change direction or altitude, then tried to figure out where the plane was.

Stories of planes firing a hundred rounds at a plane as they flew past them were mostly fiction. Usually the number fired was seldom over 20-25 at a time, sometimes as few as 5 or 10.

It's a fascinating pair of books.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

twowings

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »
I'm no pilot, but as a passenger I feel 100 times safer in a biplane... :thumb:

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »
I am lucky enough to have Wright Patterson AFB and the Air Force Museum about 50 miles from here. Its been a while since I have been there, but might be a good day trip with the grandson!

A great place to visit, & cheap, took the wife & kids there & had them asking to come back.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 12:39:06 AM »
I highly recommend the Boing History of Flight museum in Seattle. One of the best!
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Interesting that so many of you guys are infatuated in 100  years ago aircraft.  When I was in my teens and my father was a bombardier/navigator in the Army Air Corps, USAF thereafter for 20 years flying in B-17s(WW II), B-29s (Korean War), B-36s, B-52s(Cold War).  I had plastic plane models of jets, prop. bombers, and kept up to date of current aircraft specs. I've also appreciated WW I & WW II war documentaries, etc., but have never read books about them.  I prefer watching films or legit movies about those days.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:59:49 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 05:50:08 PM »
This is mine.  54" span and only 5lb.

http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=250

Yes, you can buy the kit.  I built the prototype from hand cut parts.

http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=250
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:51:40 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here