Author Topic: Should I give in and sell the old girl? What would you do?  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
Should I give in and sell the old girl? What would you do?
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »
Back in 2010 I brought home my Father's '72 Eldorado and spent several years getting it put back together and restored.   It's the only bike I own so it's a daily driver and has broke down on me twice in the last 3 years.  Dad wants me to sell the old girl and get something newer and more reliable.  Am I crazy to think I should just stick with the old Eldorado?  Still the original paint everything else has been gone through or over or replaced with new.  I like this bike and really don't think a newer used bike is going to be any more "reliable" or as much fun.  What would you do to keep Dad happy?
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

twowings

Re: Should I give in and sell the old girl? What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »
There is so much knowledge and expertise on this board that you should be able to keep her running for many years to come...I vote keep!  :thumb:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
Can't you keep it AND get a smaller, cheaper daily rider?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
Keep her.  Tell dad you're doing it for him, but if he's uneasy about you riding the old gal, pick up a newer small block, and let him know that you have a more reliable ride, but that you can't get over how sweet his old bike runs.  I think any dad would understand a son wanting to keep his father's bike on the road.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
     If you sell it you will regret it. Nothing wrong with having two bikes. I bought a new Touring at the end of 2014 and in the spring tried to sell my 96 Honda Shadow Ace. I had no takers(may have been asking too much) but one night I was moving it off the front lawn and said to myself "why are you selling this bike?" It is a raw and simple ride compared to the Touring which is just what I like sometimes. Don't sell that dear old Eldorado!

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »
There is so much knowledge and expertise on this board that you should be able to keep her running for many years to come...I vote keep!  :thumb:

Keeping the bike is a no-brainer. I think he is asking how to tell his Dad that.
My sage advice  :evil:  If your Dad likes investments and safe bets; show him a picture of that Black MV floating in another thread, or an EBay "buy-it-now" for an original Ducati 900 SS, then tell him the Eldo will fetch that price one day.   :thumb:
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
Do you love it, as in a personal attachment?  If so, don't part with it.  I have a motorcycle I feel that way about, and I can't see ever parting with it.  Even if I can't ride any more and have to drain the fluids and put it in my living room just to look at.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »
Your decision, but I sold my '72 Eldo because it needed the full going-through you've already given yours, and I still wish I'd kept it. If you can afford two bikes keep it. Breaking down twice is nothing .... This is not Toyota level technology.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »
You will never be able to replace "Your Dad's Motorbike", I would give my left nut to get one of my Dad's old Harleys.
Keep it and restore it one day
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »
Keeping the bike is a no-brainer. I think he is asking how to tell his Dad that.
My sage advice  :evil:  If your Dad likes investments and safe bets; show him a picture of that Black MV floating in another thread, or an EBay "buy-it-now" for an original Ducati 900 SS, then tell him the Eldo will fetch that price one day.   :thumb:

Yeah , er , no . Don't lie to dad . Dan , how do you feel about keeping the Eldo ? That's what really matters .

Dusty

Offline Guzzer

• New Egg
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
Most dads are less concerned about 'reliability' than they are safety, and it is possible he is actually worried that an old technology, heavy bike with Italian designed drum brakes is more dangerous than a light weight disk brake bike with ABS.  He is probably right if you ride the old one the same as you would a new one. I rebuilt an old ElDorado for my son & sure wish i could make it stopped better.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador riding refurbishment
1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Moto Guzzi T waiting for some attention
Moto Guzzi 850 T3 for trips
Suzuki GS550 for easy country  riding

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
You will never be able to replace "Your Dad's Motorbike", I would give my left nut to get one of my Dad's old Harleys.
Keep it and restore it one day

Heck, keep it and restore it NOW!

Folks are suggesting that you buy a newish small-block to go with the Eldo.   That may be an option, but you could take the money that would go into the new bike, spend it on the Eldo instead, and have a bike that would be as trouble-free as any new bike ... Broke down twice in the last 3 years?
   Shoot, man, that's a good record for anyone's bike.    Scan the WG list a bit and you'll find folks with $15,000 Guzzis that have broken down more than that .... Get Charlie or someone to fix the running parts on the Eldo with the new-bike money (assuming there is any), and you still only have one bike (one license tag, one tax bill, one battery to keep charged, one insurance payment, one set of spares and special tools, etc) to fool with and it's your Dad's ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
Most dads are less concerned about 'reliability' than they are safety, and it is possible he is actually worried that an old technology, heavy bike with Italian designed drum brakes is more dangerous than a light weight disk brake bike with ABS.  He is probably right if you ride the old one the same as you would a new one. I rebuilt an old ElDorado for my son & sure wish i could make it stopped better.
You may be on to something here.  Maybe I should look into upgrading to disc brakes?  Probably not easy to find now days.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
IIRC, upgrading to a single front disc is not difficult or terribly expensive.
1990 MilleGT

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 09:27:56 PM »
Sell it!!! I'll gladly give you 2 Miller Lite beers for it like I gave for my Eldo many years ago. Heck, I'll even DRIVE out there to pick it up.

Really, I would keep it. If you need a "safer" daily rider, do so. In Cali we can do a non-op. It means I still own it, but it's not on the road, so no insurance, registration and the like are needed.

If your like me, you'll regret selling it. I can part with all my bikes if I absolutly have to, but my Eldo will go to my grave with me!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 10:23:23 PM »
.... This is not Toyota level technology.
Thank goodness!  :evil:

Keep it. It's in the family!

If you need a lecture on why I refer you to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drb3-znyBs

There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:27 PM »
First, don't listen to Tom H. He has too many motorcycles already. (takes one to know one BTW).

You've heard lots of good reasons to keep the bike, and I have no reasons to add. New brakes, and maybe suspension service/upgrade while we're at it, would go a long way toward making it safer.

Rather than being tricky (aka lie) about the future monetary value, there's a truth about not wanting to regret selling something that is irreplaceable and has high personal value.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Moto

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 11:34:37 PM »
I suggest you consider what kinds of breakdowns you had, and whether you could do a little preventive maintenance to avoid them in the future. Your Eldo should be rock-solid with reasonable care. You might want to share what the breakdowns were, and get some feedback on how to prevent them. My T-3 is about as old, with similar technology, and has always gotten me home.

Upgrading the brakes is also a great idea -- I've ridden an Eldo and was not amused with the brakes. The T-3, though, has very satisfactory ones, and I think you can upgrade an Eldo to its level of performance. Maybe others will say more about that. Maybe T-3 parts can be adapted?

Moto
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:37:23 PM by Moto »

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »
IIRR, ugrading to front disc requires the complete front end from a '74???? Eldo to keep it looking like a stock bike with the fork covers. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I remember.

If you don;t need the original look of the forks, I think there are other options to add disc brake from either newer Guzzies or other brands.

Look at Greg Benders site, he has some tips on adding disc to drum fronts.

If you don't want to hassel with this bike, the offer is still good of 2 Lite beers to take it of your hands and save you from the misery of a drum brake bike. Heck taking it to scrap would cost you money, at least you can enjoy a cold one while I pack it up and take it away! :evil:

KEEP IT!!! Even if it becomes a living room princess.
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 12:19:35 AM »
If you have not already, buy new pistons and cylinders, gaskets, and consumable parts etc while you can still get them. Drain the fuel in tank and carbs, run it dry. Remove battery, etc. Put some mystery oil down the cylinders and park the bike covered  in a dry clean place. Buy a late model reliable bike, see how you like it. The Eldo will still be there to be loved and you can revive it at your leisure. Might be nice to have brakes, decent lighting, modern tires, etc. Ya never know. Most any of my bikes are always for sale, but then again, none were my Dad's. My dad rode bikes for awhile, then gave it up. He never wanted me to ride. Dads worry.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 01:10:15 AM »
Dad's concerned that you're only keeping it to preserve his feelings. First step is to ask yourself is he correct. If the answer's yes, then the solution is obvious, he'll thank you to sell it. If the answer's no, then the solution is just as obvious, and he'll thank you for keeping it. Dusty' right, don't lie to Dad, or more importantly, yourself...

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 05:44:58 AM »
Breakdowns are part of the characterful experience of riding older bikes. Embrace them as part of the experience. Keep it.  :thumb:

Nick

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 05:49:47 AM »
I want one really bad, so I would have to say keep it

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:46 AM »
Personally there would be no way I would consider getting rid of my dads bike if I were to be so lucky as you. It would also be for selfish reasons, not because my dad **might** think I was doing it for him. I would keep it for ME!

My dad was not riding in my lifetime, but had ridden prior to that. He has been gone many years now. He rode a Matchless which I have seen in a couple old photographs that relatives had. Someday when your dad is gone, you will be able to take that bike down the road and remember all the good times with him. 

Pick up a modern small block for your daily ride and enjoy both if you are able, like a V7 or V9.

John Henry

edit: Don't let a moment of weakness become a lifetime of regret. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:34:06 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »
Keep the bike. I still have my '71 with over 200K. 

If you buy a newer bike, say a B1100 Guzzi, get ready for sitting alongside the road a lot. Have a friend with a pickup because you'll need him.

Tex

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »
I think you said it all.

" I like this bike and really don't think a newer used bike is going to be any more "reliable" or as much fun. "

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 09:24:24 AM »
Keep it. Improvements to the brakes and lighting are easy and fairly inexpensive. It is possible to make an old Loop very reliable with a little attention to details and thoughtful modifications.
Charlie

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »
Guess my Dad is just going to have to get used to the idea of me keeping his bike.  I really do love the bike and I can't afford two bikes so the Eldorado wins.   Here is a before and after picture.

Only thing I haven't done is rebuild the front forks.  I'll have to do some research and see how to convert to disc brake.  Thanks for your input guys.   :bike-037:
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
Guess my Dad is just going to have to get used to the idea of me keeping his bike.  I really do love the bike and I can't afford two bikes so the Eldorado wins.   Here is a before and after picture.

Only thing I haven't done is rebuild the front forks.  I'll have to do some research and see how to convert to disc brake.  Thanks for your input guys.   :bike-037:

Changing the springs made a big difference to the front of my Eldo.  Check with Charlie about how to set up the 2LS brake properly. He seems to have some tricks / skill / advise about how to make it more effective.  If you can find one, the 4LS brake is very effective and the only other modification required is a lower leg with the brake retaining bracket.  It retains the look (destroyed IMHO by the disk conversion).

Nick

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »
The formula for how many bikes to have is.....

N+1

Where N is equal to the current number of bike you have!  :bike-037:

To much family history there, don't let that baby go!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here