Author Topic: Should I give in and sell the old girl? What would you do?  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
Re: Should I give in and sell the old girl? What would you do?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 09:39:13 AM »
You may be on to something here.  Maybe I should look into upgrading to disc brakes?  Probably not easy to find now days.

I'd keep it. I went through my Eldorado in the mid 1990s and since then I've run out of gas once, broke two front brake shoe springs and two clutch cables. (made it home both times). I'd say that's pretty damn good for 20-some years.

If you're iffy about the front brake send the wheel, brake, cable and lever to Vintage Brake in California. I sent them my 4LS on the Eldo and it was one of the best things I've done for that bike.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
If you can find one, the 4LS brake is very effective and the only other modification required is a lower leg with the brake retaining bracket. 
Nick

It's a GREAT brake when properly set up. If it's not set up correctly it will try and kill you. These days the 4LS stuff isn't cheap. And he'll need to get the cables and associate lever parts unique to that setup.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

canuck750

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
KEEP IT!!!

I converted my 72 Eldorado to twin disc, FAC dampers and progressive springs, it rides and stops almost as good as 'modern' bike. Mark Ethridge found me single disc front end and I used new Brembo calipers , discs and master cylinder from MG Cycle.

The front fender welded supports are different from the drum model but you could easily modify a stock fender, the chrome fender front support was off a Cali (MG Cycle), all the hose fittings and brake hose were from MG Cycle.

I am really glad I mad the change, the stopping power really instills confidence especially riding at highway speed in traffic.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:42 AM »
Hey FD,     That is one gorgeous motorcycle, with the history and personal attachment to it, that you obviously have, I would never sell it.

You've mentioned that the forks haven't been rebuilt, I think money and time into a front fork/disc brake conversion would be well spent, and pay dividends over the years. Definitely preserving an important part of your Father's legacy, that is clearly, near and dear to you.

In regards to your Father's concerns,,, as we age and become more in tune with our mortality,,, there's probably a little voice in the back of his head, worried that if you got into an accident on his old bike, somehow he would bear/feel some responsibility. Reassure him, the joy the bike brings to you, AND your prudent actions to mitigate the risks of riding that bike,,,, and get the message to him "If I die on a ride on your bike, I die happy".

I'd stress to your father how much the bike means to you, do the work required to make it brake more effectively on the front end,,, then ride the tires off it, lol.

I agree with Roy, I'd give my left nut to be in your dilemna.

Ride safe & take care

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:42 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
If you're iffy about the front brake send the wheel, brake, cable and lever to Vintage Brake in California. I sent them my 4LS on the Eldo and it was one of the best things I've done for that bike.

I did exactly the same for my two BSA twin-leading-shoe front wheels with Vintage Brake.   You can chirp the front tire on a panic stop (following a car at a reasonable distance, glance to the side at the SAME INSTANT that the car slams on brakes, look back, you're almost in his trunk, grab the brakes, SAVED!) .... the brakes will still fade on a long downhill but you can control how fast you go down that, it's an older bike and you just compensate.

A round drum, modern-composition shoes arced to the drum, and you've got decent brakes.   Not disks, but good ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:28:11 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 10:32:05 AM »
     In regards to your Father's concerns,,, as we age and become more in tune with our mortality,,, there's probably a little voice in the back of his head, worried that if you got into an accident on his old bike, somehow he would bear/feel some responsibility.

I know the feeling well. The Kid has the same afflictions as I do.. motorcycles and antique and homebuilt airplanes. I *know* those are his decisions.. but that little voice bothers me occasionally. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
I'm not a loop frame guy, but your dad's bike could make me a convert (sorry for the play on words.)

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »
Keep it, I wish I still had one. The first one I bought from my Dad, I put about 168 K miles on it. during that time I bought another from the father of a pilot in my squadron so I could always have one running if one needed maintenance. I didn't have a car the four years that I was stationed at Beale AFB in California. I had to live in the barracks until I became a sergeant which I didn't like so when I was off duty I rode. and rode . Yep keep it- snapping suspenders
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth: before going "whole hog" for a disc front end, I'd try relined shoes properly arced to the drum, with a good quality cable and linkage adjusted correctly. For the forks themselves, Wirth progressive springs and 8 oz. of 30w fork oil in each leg. See how that works, then decide if you want to go disk.

In my experience, the Guzzi disc forks will never give the ride quality of the drum forks - there's just too much "stiction" - single seals, FAC dampers and progressive springs won't change that. The drum forks are far more compliant.

It's very possible to build a disc front-end from T/T3/Convert, etc. parts and have it look "original". The drum-brake fork shrouds and fork tubes can be retained, Tonti parts needed are fork lowers/sliders, damper/spring assemblies, wheel with disc(s), caliper(s) and master cylinder. You'll need to modify the drum fender and find suitable braces or a Cal II fender will fit with minor modification. You'll need a disc Eldo axle (Harper's has them n-o-s). To get the brake disc(s) spaced out where it(they) need to be, you'll either need to find a(2) 39 mm wide bearing carrier(s) or machined aluminum spacer(s).
Charlie

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »
 Dan, my friend,You will eventually  kick yourself in the ass if you ever sell that  gorgeous eldo.....besides, those "Rocket" mufflers on it look badass, and no one else has them!   HaHaHa :thumb:
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
Can't you keep it AND get a smaller, cheaper daily rider?

:1:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline danedg

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Never sell that bike. It would be like selling the old man.
Disc brakes require disc forks.
20 years from now it will still be your "go to" bike.
I still have my old mans' A5 with a prehistoric s/n...
I'll never sell that either....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:16:06 PM by danedg »
'74 Eldo
'65 R60/2
'68 R60US
'54 R51/3
'78 Honda Hawk
'95 Mystic

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
I didn't see this question, so I'll ask- you said it broke down 2-3 times?  What broke down?  Can you address that point before going off in a tangent? 
I had an Eldo that started 'breaking down' on a very predictable basis- turned out to be a plugged gas cap. 

With regards to Charlie's statement on drum/disk forks- I have fully rebuilt disc forks with FAC dampers.  It is a much stiffer ride than the old drum front end.  Personally, I like that- the rear shocks are stiffer as well, but that's my personal preference.  Others will (and do) see it differently.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2017, 12:32:44 AM »
I didn't see this question, so I'll ask- you said it broke down 2-3 times?  What broke down? 

First break down turned out the generator was polarized backwards.  I was 4 hours from home, once I found the problem the local harley davidson shop was so happy to see the bike he polarized the generator and put in a new regulator for free.  Second time the points failed.  Yea that little metal thing on the end of the arm feel off.  They don't run good like that, I was two blocks from home.  Third time was this exhaust nut thread.  I have never heard of that problem before so I will lay the blame for that on me.  I got the head back today and will be using stainless steel nuts with the lock nut on them.  And check them once in a while so we don't do that again.  I was 80 miles from home when the exhaust header blew off. 
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 12:37:46 AM »
Just my 2 cents worth: before going "whole hog" for a disc front end, I'd try relined shoes properly arced to the drum, with a good quality cable and linkage adjusted correctly. For the forks themselves, Wirth progressive springs and 8 oz. of 30w fork oil in each leg. See how that works, then decide if you want to go disk.
Actually I kind of like the way she handles, I just don't like all that oil leaking all over the front of my bike.  I need to find someone near by that put in new seals for me.  I can get the drum turned and install new shoes and better cable.  I know if I take my time and adjust the brakes properly they do seem to work better.  For a while any way LOL.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
Actually I kind of like the way she handles, I just don't like all that oil leaking all over the front of my bike.  I need to find someone near by that put in new seals for me.  I can get the drum turned and install new shoes and better cable.  I know if I take my time and adjust the brakes properly they do seem to work better.  For a while any way LOL.

I wouldn't turn the drum unless it's out of round.
Charlie

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
The forks are really easy to rebuild.  If you have any mechanical aptitude, you should do them yourself. 
The only specialized tool you need is a fork tube puller and you can either buy one or make one (I used a threaded rod with a plumber's emergency expandable plug on the end).  Greg Bender's site has a walk-through, I am sure.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »
The forks are really easy to rebuild.  If you have any mechanical aptitude, you should do them yourself. 
The only specialized tool you need is a fork tube puller and you can either buy one or make one (I used a threaded rod with a plumber's emergency expandable plug on the end).  Greg Bender's site has a walk-through, I am sure.

It's best to have the proper tool to remove the chrome seal holders as well.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_fork_rebuilding.html
Charlie

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2017, 03:40:37 PM »

The way my health has been and not having the right tools I need to find someone local that can do the fork seals.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
 just leave it here for a couple years........ :cool:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here