Author Topic: V9 vs Harley 1200 Custom Review  (Read 10465 times)

bpreynolds

V9 vs Harley 1200 Custom Review
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:07:58 AM »
Your results may vary.  Or not.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/01/04/2018-harley-davidson-sportster-1200-custom-vs-2017-moto-guzzi-v9-bobber-comparison-review/
Text from article over at UM.

2018 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom vs. 2017 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber: Comparison Review
By Don Williams -  January 4, 2018
Retro Motorcycle Battle: America vs Italy

Leave it to two iconic companies with a combined experience of over 200 years to produce a pair of fine retro motorcycles that are as functional as they are alluring. The Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber recalls performance-oriented customization that began in the 1930s, while the Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom sustains its own history dating back to 1957.

Now, it would be easy for you to simply select the motorcycle that best fits your desired persona, but we’re hoping you are going to be interested in finding out which of these two bikes actually suits your intended implementation.

2018 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom vs. 2017 Moto Guzzi V9 BobberWhile the venerable Sportster 1200 Custom and all-new V9 Bobber may seem like an odd couple, they both trade in nostalgia with a nod toward performance, run torquey air-cooled V-twin motors, share wheel sizes, and have prices that sit in the $10k range. That was enough for us to put them nose-to-nose to find out what makes them tick, and compare their strengths and weaknesses.

The Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber is a fresh bike for 2017, with a new motor that is more than simply a bored and stroked V7 powerplant. Focus was put on giving the V9 a virtually flat torque curve, with the peak coming unusually early at 3000 rpm. The raw power production numbers aren’t impressive, but the real-world seat performance is what matters.

We are well acquainted with the Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom and its Evolution motor. The pushrod design and 45-degree V-twin powerplant is a classic, and the XL1200C designation dates back over 20 years.

Ergonomics matter, and although the Sportster self-identifies as a Custom, it has a fairly neutral seating position with its mid-mount footpegs and conservative buckhorn style handlebars. In comparison, the taller Bobber has wide flat-bend bars on risers that give it a seating position that seems almost supermoto-like compared to the comfortably casual sporting feel of the Sportster.

2018 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom reviewCheck out the body positioning in the photos—I stand about 5’ 10”. My arms bend more on the Sportster, while my knees have a tighter kink on the Bobber. The Sportster puts you in a bucket seat for two, while the Bobber goes with a flat solo perch. These are clearly two different ergonomic approaches, and you can easily tell which bike you are on with your eyes shut.

If canyon riding at faster than a casual pace is your primary activity, the Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber will be your mount of choice. Although the larger-displacement Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom has an unquestionable power advantage, the Bobber dominates in two crucial categories—it weighs about 150 pounds less and has far more cornering clearance.

The Bobber’s relatively light weight and the V9’s overrev help erase the power differential, so the ability to hang it out in a turn without instantly dragging the peg feelers is a huge advantage. Sure, you can touch metal to asphalt on the Bobber, but you will be leaned much farther over when that happens.

The two motorcycles have decidedly different approaches to corners, with some similarities. They have the same fat tires, so it’s a wash between the Continental and Michelin 16-inchers. Both have a big footprint that has a bit of a vague feel, but strongly resists pushing. Confidence is good on either motorcycle.

2017 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber testedRunning the Sportster though the corner is simple—plan ahead and just lean into it. With 30 degrees of rake and a wheelbase over five feet, the 1200 Custom isn’t going to change direction on a whim. So, set your path with care and ride it like you’re aboard a locomotive. Great torque will pull you out on the exit and send you on your way with authority, if not breakneck speed.

Those wide handlebars on the V9 Bobber are the secret to setting up for corners. Use the leverage to chart your course. The wide front tire keeps the Bobber from being twitchy, yet you can change your line with aggressive bar input. The fact that the Bobber is so much lighter and has a steeper rake (a neutral 26.4 degrees) and shorter wheelbase (by two inches) than the Sportster has predictable consequences—the Bobber is more maneuverable, even if it falls short of agile.

Both motorcycles will prefer that you pick nicely paved roads, or stick to the smoothest line through a corner that you can find on a poor-condition road. The Moto Guzzi has an edge over the short-travel Harley-Davidson, to be sure, though the difference isn’t as pronounced as you might expect. The high-profile tires do help absorb irregularities, but they inherently lack damping, so they are no substitute for higher quality suspension.

The brakes are certainly adequate on both machines, with the front and rear discs being helpful in slowing the bikes down. Feel is good at both ends, and engine compression braking is a nicely organic part of the braking process.

2018 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 CustomABS is available for the Sportster 1200 Custom, but at a hefty $795 premium—pretty high for 2018. If you outfit the Sportster with ABS, all of a sudden it is over $1300 more expensive than the V9—a significant number for some buyers.

Riding in the dry, we never tapped into the ABS except to intentionally test it. The Moto Guzzi’s ABS is smoother, though both work fine. The tires get good traction, so the ABS is more important if you ride in the wet than if you keep it parked when it’s raining.

So, if you’re a canyon disciple and you like riding hard, you will certainly find the Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber more to your liking. Less aggressive riders who aren’t put off by frequent peg-feeler scrapes will be satisfied with the otherwise assured stance of the Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom.

Getting back into town on the freeway reveals two different experiences. The Bobber is better at handling the rough expansion joints that you find in the Los Angeles metropolitan area—no question about that.

While the Sportster 1200 has more power, you can only confidently access that on a smooth highway. Otherwise, the short travel suspension will bounce you around and get you back in the range of legal speeds. The V9 benefits from a sixth cog—the Harley-Davidson transmission is a five-speed—and it’s definitely an overdrive. Still, fifth is plenty high on the Sportster, and transmission ratios are perfectly suiting to the power output.

The Sportster’s seating position makes you feel pushed back by the wind at high speed, so you feel the need to hold on a bit tighter. It is easier to lean into the wind on the Bobber, and that makes it less fatiguing to ride any sort of distance without feeling worn out by the experience.

2017 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber reviewLong rides are possible on backroads and in town for two reasons—the Bobber and the Sportster are comfortable, plus their tanks hold at least four gallons of high test. There are fun motorcycles to ride, and you won’t be forced to take frequent breaks.

In an urban environment, you have two distinctly different approaches. The Harley-Davidson has the power to leave stoplights with authority, the low seat makes it confidence-inspiring for all skill levels, and the narrow handlebar/rearview-mirror combo are great for sneaking though dense traffic.

On the Bobber, it’s about a taller view where you can see over cars better than on the Sportster. Wide bars can be a liability in traffic, but the Moto Guzzi is maneuverable enough that you can work around them, and the high mirrors—just be careful.

The V9’s six-speed gearing is a bit high—even first gear. That can lead to cooking the clutch during long bouts with traffic—something we did multiple times. The V9’s clutch continued to operate as expected, but it was putting out a smelly distress signal.

2018 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom for saleGiven the Sportster’s massive torque advantage, you might expect it to run away from the V9. From a practical standpoint, it doesn’t work that way. The V9 revs more freely, and there is that inescapable weight advantage. Yes, the 1200 accelerates with more authority, but not decisively faster. Regardless, both engines are fun to use in urban environments.

Stiffly tuned suspension on both motorcycles ensures a bumpy ride on the rugged roads of Los Angeles. Fortunately, while you will feel the incongruities, the edge is taken off by the suspension components on both bikes with well-matched springing and damping, plus the rotund tires. Although you won’t be enjoying a smooth ride, you will not be beaten to death or jostled by either motorcycle.

In most cases, a Harley-Davidson will be the attention grabber on the road. However, in this case, the Sportster 1200 Custom is a relative wallflower. The Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber has unquestionable charisma, and it does not go unnoticed. At a stoplight in South LA, with Associate Editor Kelly Callan aboard, a woman rolled down her window to enthusiastically proclaim to Kelly, “I love your bike!” The Custom never elicited that sort of response.

On the flipside, the Harley-Davidson V-twin’s dual staggered mufflers have a much more authoritative sound than the comparatively whisper quiet Moto Guzzi V-twin’s long exhausts. Similarly, the Sportster offers a sense of excitement at startup, while the V9 purrs its way to life.

Moto Guzzi gives the less-expensive V9 Bobber an advantage in electronics over the Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom. Starting with the dash, the Bobber has more information at your fingertips, including gear position (a staff favorite) and one that I particularly like—ambient temperature.

2017 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber priceYou have two-level (plus off) traction control on the V9 Bobber. The TC has a designated button on the left handlebar for easy switching, just put it on level 1 and forget about it; go to level 2 if it’s raining. Though the Sportster does without traction control, the tractable engine never felt like it needed it. Still, if it’s a rainy day on a slick road, traction control and ABS are good things to have in your pocket.

The reality of the Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom and Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber is that most buyers will make purchasing decisions based on looks—that’s the nature of lifestyle motorcycles like these.

However, when you are perusing the showroom floors, know that the V9 Bobber is more versatile of the two with a decidedly sporting advantage on back roads, while the Sportster 1200 Custom has urban street credibility and performance that is tough to beat.

Photography by Kelly Callan

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V9 vs Harley 1200 Custom Review
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
They liked the Bobber  :thumb: always good to read.

And it's no surprise that the Bobber handles better.... but much of the rest of the review was very subjective. I always like a some hard facts when comparing bikes. I mean other than just parroting what they got from the spec sheet, otherwise what are they actually offering me I couldn't get myself?

Stuff like:

"While the Sportster 1200 has more power, you can only confidently access that on a smooth highway."  :rolleyes:

and

"Yes, the 1200 accelerates with more authority, but not decisively faster." Uh, yeah, that means nothing.

hell even

"and has far more cornering clearance."

So they don't have the ability or haven't bothered to measure things like:

* lean angle (they only parrot the Harley brochure figure for the one and don't give you a comparative number for the V9)

* 1/4 mile

* Top speed

* Braking distance

etc.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:00 AM »
They liked the Bobber  :thumb: always good to read.

And it's no surprise that the Bobber handles better.... but much of the rest of the review was very subjective. I always like a some hard facts when comparing bikes. I mean other than just parroting what they got from the spec sheet, otherwise what are they actually offering me I couldn't get myself?

Stuff like:

"While the Sportster 1200 has more power, you can only confidently access that on a smooth highway."  :rolleyes:

and

"Yes, the 1200 accelerates with more authority, but not decisively faster." Uh, yeah, that means nothing.

hell even

"and has far more cornering clearance."

So they don't have the ability or haven't bothered to measure things like:

* lean angle (they only parrot the Harley brochure figure for the one and don't give you a comparative number for the V9)

* 1/4 mile

* Top speed

* Braking distance

etc.

I too love seeing the V9s get good press as my impression (and confirmed by a couple dealers) is they are having a harder time moving the V9s; so hey, any good press for the bikes IMO is super.  This being said, I was a little surprised to see such a “vs” oriented review.  Well documented on this board I love Sportsters but seat time on my buddy’s older custom (still new enough to be one of the rubber mounted ones, I think?) would indicate to me a very greatly different bike than my previous V9.  If anyone asked me to compare those two I’d probably be a little stumped and just say, “Uhhh.  Very different bikes, very different experiences.” 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »
Oh, I'm with you. I'm glad the V9 is getting some seemingly well-deserved press.

And yeah, it's an odd combo.

It strikes me a lazy journalism....

"Hey we got a V9 Bobber press bike and need to do a story on it, what should be compar it too?"

"How about a Triumph Bobber?"

"Nah, they're all booked up this month. Besides, it's probably too quick and the dual discs on the new one will kill the V9"

"How about the Scout Bobber?"

"Nah, even quicker"

"Well, we can always get a Harley"

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
 Face it Kev , the Bobber is superior in real life , the Harley is a poser .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »
Face it Kev , the Bobber is superior in real life , the Harley is a poser .

Dusty

Uh, yeah, ok... whatever man. Seriously if you're going to go fishing you at least need some bait.

BTW, I really kinda dig the V9 more than I did when it was released. Though I'm still a Stone man... (lobs it).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:35:25 AM »
Uh, yeah, ok... whatever man. Seriously if you're going to go fishing you at least need some bait.

BTW, I really kinda dig the V9 more than I did when it was released. Though I'm still a Stone man... (lobs it).

No , not weak , the V9 is the superior motorbike for anyone who actually likes motorbikes . If you want to pose , then the Harley is the better choice .

Dusty
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:36:18 AM by oldbike54 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
No , not weak , the V9 is the superior motorbike for anyone who actually likes motorbikes . If you want to pose , then the Harley is the better choice .

Dusty

No I think you had it right, that was a weak attempt, not that I said it, you just knew it....
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
16 inch wheels suck.  I have two bikes with 16 inch wheels. A Buell Blast and a 1986 Yamaha FJ1200.  The FJ will out shine the H.D. in every performance aspect.  It is scary fast, smooth, great brakes,wind protection.  An all day sucker.  I like the V9 with the bigger wheels. 

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »
No I think you had it right, that was a weak attempt, not that I said it, you just knew it....

In this case you are simply confused , it's OK to admit it Kev , you are really a Harley guy . Go ahead and say it , the truth will set you free .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
In this case you are simply confused , it's OK to admit it Kev , you are really a Harley guy . Go ahead and say it , the truth will set you free .

Dusty

Of course I am a Harley guy... I'm also a Moto Guzzi guy, a Jeep Guy, I'm a bit of a Subaru guy too... I was a Chevy guy and an Olds guy at another point in my life though they don't do much for me now. I've been a BMW guy too, and wouldn't mind be a Triumph guy... I can't really say I'm a Ducati guy but I flirt with it.... life is good and too short for bland monobrandism.

And actually Brand is just a convenient way to say there are PRODUCTS from those companies that I enjoy for their unique qualities. I could not give two craps about their marketing... Subaru Love, Harley Bad Boys or any other of that stupid shyte.

:cool:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
Fairer comparison is the 883 vs V9

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »
You guys make me laugh!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
Fairer comparison is the 883 vs V9

Not really.  As mentioned in the article there is a considerable weight difference.  Seat of the pants tells me that my 1200 Sportster is marginally quicker than the V9.  883 would always be in the V9's rearview mirror.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
I don't know if HD upgraded the suspension on the 2018 Sportster Custom.  The suspension on my 2014 Custom was abysmal.  Having said that, new shocks, fork springs and seat made the bike all day comfortable.

I can't comment on the 2018 Custom vs. 2017 Bobber comparison, but I can comment on a 2016 HD Roadster vs. a 2017 MG Roamer comparison. 
- Performance of the two bikes feel very similar, albeit that power is delivered very differently.
- Top gear in both bikes is essentially an 'overdrive', best used for highway cruising above 70 mph.
- You do feel the weight difference.  I wish HD would figure out how to take 50-75 lbs off the Sportster.
- The Roadster suspension is top notch, which is very unusual for HD.  The Roamer really needs different shocks and a reworked fork.
- You would think that if Harley can build a single gauge display with an analog tach and digital speedometer that Moto Guzzi could too.  Oh wait, they did: check out the Griso or the Cali 1400.  I will never understand the moronic decision for not equipping the V9s in a similar manner.
-The Harley's fit & finish is very good, but IMHO Moto Guzzi has taken fit & finish to new levels on their latest bikes.

So if one had to go which would I keep?  Good question.  I'll just say the Harley makes me smile every time I ride it.

Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
Never owned a Sporty...but always thought about buying one...and always liked them, in general!  I have logged >125,000 trouble-free miles on four (4) Big Twin Harley's (2 FLH-S Electra Glide Sport and  2 Road Kings).  Both models were great "open highway" road bikes! :thumb: :cool:

Given the choice between these two bikes...tough call, both are cool rides!  I like the new V9 Bobber and glad to see it is getting some good press.  The Forty-Eight is also nice looking.  All depends on what kind of riding you want to do...The V9 Bobber may be more versatile in the end for overnight trips, etc., but I'm sure the Sporty is quite capable also... :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
Not really.  As mentioned in the article there is a considerable weight difference.  Seat of the pants tells me that my 1200 Sportster is marginally quicker than the V9.  883 would always be in the V9's rearview mirror.

Ya see this is where I REALLY would have liked to see a comparison from an outfit that is actually TESTING these bikes.

I don't seem to have V9 or the current 1200 Roadster test data in my spreadsheet yet and no time to check today, but here are some similar bikes and numbers:

2010 883L - 14.60 1/4
2007 1200N - 13.21 1/4
2013 1200X - 13.42 1/4

2009 V7C - 14.57 1/4
2013 V7R - 14.29 1/4

And the 2016 1200CX has a bit more hp than the rest of the 1200 Sporty line (just a smidge), but IF that's actually true that the V9 is almost as quick as your CX, that would put the V9 in 1100 Cali range OR QUICKER, which would surprise me (but it would be a pleasant surprise).

Example

2011 Cali 1100 Black Eagle - 13.35

Personally my seat of the pants always put my Jackal and my 1200R at about equal. But we all know how reliable (or not) seat of the pants dynos are.

So it would be interesting!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:39:00 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 11:53:05 AM »
An enjoyable review, and they liked the Moto Guzzi! I like seeing good press.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline TalbotMatra

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
In a German motorcycle journal "Motorrad" (02/2018) is a nice driving report in which the V9 Bobber is compared with the HD Sportster 1200 Custom and the Triumph Bonneville Bobber. Light-footedness, optics, driving dynamics and especially the revving engine of the V9 are praised in the highest tones. Only the stereo springs and the load change reactions of the cardan are criticized. All in all, a very good test result.  :smiley:

And here some data:
Top speed: HD 180 km/h, MG 170 km/h, TR 177 km/h
0-100 km/h: HD 5.3 sec, MG 5.3 sec, TR 3,9 sec.
0-140 km/h: HD , 10.3 sec, MG 10.4 sec, TR 7.4 sec.
60-100 km/h: HD 7.0 sec., MG 5.8 sec., TR 5.3 sec.
100-140 km/h: HD 8.7 sec, MG 7.8 sec, TR 6.1 sec.

Fuel consumption: HD 5.3 l, MG 4.5 l, TR 4.3 l
Range: HD 321 km, MG 333 km, TR 212 km

Ciao
Lars
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:50:52 PM by TalbotMatra »
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber,

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
Interesting!  Thanks for the post.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 02:44:18 PM »
Ah, TalbotMatra (Rancho or Bagheera?) beat me on this. One little amendment: The acceleration data of the bikes were measured likewise the consumption data in "Motorrad", the velocity data were not. These are always the values published by the makers. This applies to each German Motorcycle Magazine. I do not know why.

A second amendmends for our friends in the States: the consumption data are "litres per 100 kilometres". (I wish the Americans would be aware of the "Metric Conversation Act"  :azn:...)

And I have one question I wanted to ask forever: is there anyone riding a smallblock here who is disturbed by the reaction of the shaft drive? I do not even register this reaction.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:49:29 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline TalbotMatra

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »
Hello, fossil!

I'm driving a Talbot Matra Murena:cool:
And: No, there is absolutely no relevant reaction of the cardan that I can feel when riding my V9. Therefor I cannot confirm the test result in this special point.

Ciao
Lars
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber,

elvisboy77

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 04:30:43 PM »
Next comparison:  Ford F 150 vs Maserati Levante.  Yeah, same sort of comparison.  Apples and oranges

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »
In a German motorcycle journal "Motorrad" (02/2018) is a nice driving report in which the V9 Bobber is compared with the HD Sportster 1200 Custom and the Triumph Bonneville Bobber. Light-footedness, optics, driving dynamics and especially the revving engine of the V9 are praised in the highest tones. Only the stereo springs and the load change reactions of the cardan are criticized. All in all, a very good test result.  :smiley:

And here some data:
Top speed: HD 180 km/h, MG 170 km/h, TR 177 km/h
0-100 km/h: HD 5.3 sec, MG 5.3 sec, TR 3,9 sec.
0-140 km/h: HD , 10.3 sec, MG 10.4 sec, TR 7.4 sec.
60-100 km/h: HD 7.0 sec., MG 5.8 sec., TR 5.3 sec.
100-140 km/h: HD 8.7 sec, MG 7.8 sec, TR 6.1 sec.

Fuel consumption: HD 5.3 l, MG 4.5 l, TR 4.3 l
Range: HD 321 km, MG 333 km, TR 212 km

Ciao
Lars
Perfect!...

Thanks!

That data speaks well for the V9 and explains a lot about what people are thinking with regards to butt dynos!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
Perfect!...

Thanks!

That data speaks well for the V9 and explains a lot about what people are thinking with regards to butt dynos!

That 60-100km/h number is the one you'd feel most frequently in real world riding, and the V9 shows its best right about there...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 07:20:56 PM »
That 60-100km/h number is the one you'd feel most frequently in real world riding, and the V9 shows its best right about there...

I wonder how that's tested though. I mean is it roll on or drop a gear. With the shorter rev range of the Sportster motor I would think it would be at a disadvantage with a roll on.

I mean holy crap, that's just under 40 mph, to just over 60 mph?

And the time they logged for the Sporty was more than 1/2 the quarter mile time?!?

So that had to be a roll on, and from the time the must have been lugging it in the first place.

I mean 40 mph should be 3rd gear, MAYBE 4th but close to lugging.

You don't shift OUT of 4th till 65-70.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:25:51 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 12:23:28 AM »
Hello, fossil!

I'm driving a Talbot Matra Murena:cool:
And: No, there is absolutely no relevant reaction of the cardan that I can feel when riding my V9. Therefor I cannot confirm the test result in this special point.

Ciao
Lars

Ah Lars, thank you. I suspected as much.

Ah yes, the Murena! The successor of the Matra Simca Bagheera. I had a Simca 1200S Coupe once. Worst car I ever had, but it was the car I really loved to drive.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 03:40:27 AM »
It's a shame we don't get more performance data on MG's.  You have to look in a dozen places to find spec's.  When bike mags review them in these comparisons they rarely quote figures(as Kevin points out).  The truth is that MG's aren't particularly fast in terms of outright performance but when compared against bikes in their segment, they match or beat their competition in acceleration, handling and top speed.  The actual numbers, when they're put on paper are pretty impressive, especially against Harley's.  I guess that's not a priority for a lot of buyers of cruisers.  Vehicle dynamics are ranked below looks and dealer network. 

A 1400 Custom does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.4 with a trap speed of around 100mph.  I can't find spec's on the new 114's but most 103's are over 5 seconds to 60 and high 13's-low 14's in the 1/4 except for the touring models which are around 15 seconds in the 1/4.  I have a friend with a hopped up CVO Breakout and my Touring is every bit a match in terms of acceleration.  We've dragged from lights, done roll ons up to about 100, etc.  Sometimes I get him, sometimes he gets me but it's never by more than a half bike length.     

If they'd compared the Bobber to an 883 the only reason the HD would be close is the shorter gearing.  It's still almost a half second slower to 60 than a V9.  Every tenth is a little more than a bike length. 5-6 bike lengths to 60mph is a lot.  Like I said above, drag racing from stop lights isn't a priority for most cruiser buyers but it makes a big difference when you're passing a car on a mountain road or trying to hit a gap in traffic.               

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 05:37:05 AM »
It all comes down to where you live and ride.  There are many states where you take curves out of the equation.  States where quality roads are out of the equation.  I know choosing a bike is as much the look of the bike, and the persona it creates than the type and condition of the roads and that is why you should just buy what you want.  Some bikes I buy with the intent to rack up the miles, others to use sparingly.  As long as people are riding.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 07:41:44 AM »
A 1400 Custom does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.4 with a trap speed of around 100mph.  I can't find spec's on the new 114's but most 103's are over 5 seconds to 60 and high 13's-low 14's in the 1/4 except for the touring models which are around 15 seconds in the 1/4. 

Yeah I see a lot of mid 12's and a few reports of 13's on the Cali 1400.

But I don't know where you're getting 15's on the touring models as the vast majority of reports are in the 13's and 14's.

A few sources (and I checked my old MCN chart too, it had maybe one Ultra in the 15s):

Most reports here were 13.3. - 13.9 with ONE 15.5 (and that was a 2011):

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/harley-davidson-0-60-mph-times/

TC96 2010 Street Glide 13.87:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/harley-davidson-street-glide-vs-victory-cross-country-town-country

TC103 2014 Street Glide Special 13.31:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/03/2014-harley-davidson-street-glide-special-road-test-review-photos-specifications
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here