Author Topic: What do you think about this Griso ?  (Read 3353 times)

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What do you think about this Grisso ?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 09:27:08 PM »
I bought one with flat tappets knowing I'd have to do the repair.  Would have been simple enough job if not for the fact that some very bad advice caused me to order the wrong kit!  When I started the bike, it leaked oil like the Exxon Valdeze!  Roper set me straight (should have contacted him in the first place) on which kit I needed (Guzzi made THREE! roller conversion kits A, B, & C depending on when the bike was made) and after spending twice as much money as I'd planned, I had the bike up and running properly.  At least I was pretty familier with the top-end assembly procedures after all that!  :shocked: Luckly, I was able to sell the other kit to another Griso owner and recoup almost all my cost. 

The engine had just under 6K when I bought it.  two of the flat tappets had very minor wear through the black DLC, two were pretty discolored.  I suspect the kits (if you can even still get them) are much more costly than when I did mine 7 years or so ago.

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 10:52:21 PM »
As others have said, be sure to clarify the flat tappet issue.
OTOH, it comes with *Dyno tuned Vesrah race brake pads* those alone must be worth half of the purchase price.  :laugh:

Oh wow, I didn't know those brake pads are so costly.

Just curious. What does dyno tuning race brake pads do ? Do they like put it on dyno machine and measure how well the brake pads are able to stop the bike or something else?
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R
2012(?) Grisso 1200 SE <- (thinking of selling)

Offline airhead

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 11:39:09 PM »
I rollerized my 2010 2 years ago. It's not a hard job if you are used to working on engines. If you have two left thumbs or you can't tell the difference between a c-clamp and a micrometer then you should have a shop do the job.

The kit was about $1200 and there are threads and videos on how to do it on grisoghetto

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 11:42:17 PM »
You won't regret buying. Don't let the flat tappet problem stop you. Some have had the problem around 12,000Km's others 40,000 so it varies. Had mine 5 years and love riding it. Prefer riding over my Suzuki 1250. Only bought Suzuki so I didn't have to keep stopping and fueling up every 220km's. Other than that I (touch wood) have not had a problem.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 11:42:17 PM »

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 11:45:09 PM »

Roller kits are still available. Do not ride for 40,000 miles before replacing them. Do not replace them with "new" flat tappets every 10,000 miles.

If it's not already rollerised, get it done immediately. Factor the cost into the price. If the seller won't confirm whether they're  flat or roller tappets, and won't accept a $1500 reduction in price, walk away.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 11:57:11 PM »
Too funny - saw my haircut guy today, and while waiting one of his cow-orkers and I talked about weather in So Cal, which led to talking about bikes.

He asked what I rode, and I told him I had a Guzzi. He gushed over how lucky I was, and described this super cool machine, that I eventually figured out he was talking about a Griso.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I had a Bassa.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 05:53:08 AM »
It's not just an issue with the tappets hard coating wearing/flaking off, it's where the hard coating goes when it comes off.

It's worse than putting sand in your oil. Bearing won't like it. 
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 06:44:13 AM »
The over/under for a low milage 2013 with rollers from the factory is $6K U.S.

Roller conversion? I'd rather not...

Three bolts take off the wing, six more remove the valve cover and the mystery is solved

Flats

Rollers

Thanks a lot for your input and the pics. Appreciate it.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2022, 06:55:43 AM »
It's not just an issue with the tappets hard coating wearing/flaking off, it's where the hard coating goes when it comes off.

It's worse than putting sand in your oil. Bearing won't like it.

Good point.
So what are you saying then/what would you do/suggest ? You mean its not a good idea to buy this Griso ?
Did I understand you correctly ?
I would be still interested if there is a reasonably cheaper workaround, if not then just move on and wait for another Griso which
does not have flat tappets. Someone here said 2013 Griso comes with factory rollers and for around 6k USD. I would prefer that/wait for such a bike for sale whenever that happens. ( I have my Breva 750 to ride/enjoy meanwhile :) )
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: What do you think about this Griso ?
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2022, 08:16:51 AM »
•Dyno tuned•Vesrah race brake pads

There are no Dyno tuned brake pads.
It's supposed to read like this,

•Dyno tuned
•Vesrah race brake pads
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:40:40 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2022, 08:37:47 AM »
How did you deal with the recall issue? How much did you spend on it? And How did you find which kit was needed, where did you get the kit from ?
Thanks.

A.  I went through the dealer process as I was lucky enough to have one near me.  You pay for an "inspection" of the tappets where the dealer takes pictures and sends them to Guzzi for consideration.  If Guzzi approves, they did approve mine at about the same mileage as this bike, then they will send the parts to dealer and the dealer will do the install.  You get the parts for free but you have to pay the labor.  In my case that came to right around $500 as I recall.

B.  The other approach is to buy the kit yourself and follow the install instructions/video on the Ghetto.  As a 2011 the bike probably needs a B kit unless it was very late 2011 and then it would take an A Kit.  Looks like the B Kit is in Atlanta as AF! shows it at 5-7 business days.  That's $1,300 in parts and your dirty hands.

https://www.af1racing.com/Moto-Guzzi-Bucket-Tappet-Update-Kit-B-1A002063

C. If you need a dealer or mechanic to install (I would) you are looking at $1,300 in parts and $500 or so  in labor. 

When I bought mine in 2016 I negotiated $1k off and got lucky with the dealer route.  My understanding, however, is that the offer from Guzzi to supply the parts might be over with now.  You'll just have to check with a dealer. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2022, 10:42:44 AM »
The ad states it was at 3 different dealers, and no one noticed the factory bulletin on the bike. The owner states washing the bike but doesn't want it in for a service bulletin on engine. Doesn't make seance  to me.
There is only one model Tenni Griso, it'll be worth the $$. Try to find and buy a Tenni V11 Sport.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 10:46:29 AM »
How attached are you to the Tenni green and tan seat?  Vs a "rosso" or "black devil"?  Not sure of other countries, but in the US, all the Tenni green Griso's originally came with flat tappets.  And since this guy mentioned so much in his ad, and did not mention it had been rollerized, seems a safe bet it is still flat tappets ... but you need to confirm that with the seller.

If you don't have to have a Tenni one, then might make sense to get a newer red or black one rollerized from the start bike. 2014 or newer you are 100% safe.  In 2013 I've heard earlier ones might be tappets, later 2013 bikes might be rollers, so you would need to verify on a 2013.

Another thing to consider is going older to a 2 valve (vs 4 valve head) which doesn't have the flat tappet issue.  Would be less money than a 2014+ but also older, but solid bikes.

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2022, 11:00:34 AM »
Oh, one more point on this ... since the OP is in my area ... none of the Moto Guzzi dealerships within ~2-3 hours knows how to do this.  The dealer in San Jose has only been a Guzzi dealer ~2 yrs and really just knows how to do basic service.  The Elk Grove dealer has been around longer but Guzzi's is a very small thing for them, not sure if they have ever done one.

If I was paying a dealer for this, I'd take it to Pro Italia in Southern Cal.  When I talked with them ~3 years ago on this topic, the person that answered the phone knew all about it, and knew rough price estimates off the top of his head.  And yes that is about a 6 hour road trip to get there.  :sad:

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2022, 08:27:24 PM »
All 2013's were rollers. 2012's were hit and miss.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2022, 11:13:47 PM »
The ad states it was at 3 different dealers, and no one noticed the factory bulletin on the bike. The owner states washing the bike but doesn't want it in for a service bulletin on engine. Doesn't make seance  to me.
There is only one model Tenni Griso, it'll be worth the $$. Try to find and buy a Tenni V11 Sport.

Seems a little strange and yes correct on all accounts.
I moved my Tenni Griso along years ago..... shouldn't of done that. So after coming to my senses a few years later bought a new roller motor Rosso Griso, Its a keeper.
And ya a Tenni Spinney is a little tough to find.
Enjoy the process and the insanity.   :thumb:

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2022, 10:12:14 AM »
Still no response from seller :(, I guess it's sold already.
I have offered $1000 less to accommodate for rollers and, will spend another $1000 from my pocket, for the total roller cost of $2k.
Not sure if the seller didn't like my offer or busy with something, but I would have liked to hear back either way.
Dead silence so far. Not sure whats is going on.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2022, 10:16:44 AM »
Roller kits are still available. Do not ride for 40,000 miles before replacing them. Do not replace them with "new" flat tappets every 10,000 miles.

If it's not already rollerised, get it done immediately. Factor the cost into the price. If the seller won't confirm whether they're  flat or roller tappets, and won't accept a $1500 reduction in price, walk away.

Yup. Agree totally. I feel most comfortable going this route.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2022, 10:21:37 AM »
•Dyno tuned•Vesrah race brake pads

There are no Dyno tuned brake pads.
It's supposed to read like this,

•Dyno tuned
•Vesrah race brake pads

Oh ok. Now it make sense, somehow for a moment I got confused what has Dyno tuning  to do with brake pads :)
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2022, 10:28:39 AM »
A.  I went through the dealer process as I was lucky enough to have one near me.  You pay for an "inspection" of the tappets where the dealer takes pictures and sends them to Guzzi for consideration.  If Guzzi approves, they did approve mine at about the same mileage as this bike, then they will send the parts to dealer and the dealer will do the install.  You get the parts for free but you have to pay the labor.  In my case that came to right around $500 as I recall.

B.  The other approach is to buy the kit yourself and follow the install instructions/video on the Ghetto.  As a 2011 the bike probably needs a B kit unless it was very late 2011 and then it would take an A Kit.  Looks like the B Kit is in Atlanta as AF! shows it at 5-7 business days.  That's $1,300 in parts and your dirty hands.

https://www.af1racing.com/Moto-Guzzi-Bucket-Tappet-Update-Kit-B-1A002063

C. If you need a dealer or mechanic to install (I would) you are looking at $1,300 in parts and $500 or so  in labor. 

When I bought mine in 2016 I negotiated $1k off and got lucky with the dealer route.  My understanding, however, is that the offer from Guzzi to supply the parts might be over with now.  You'll just have to check with a dealer.

Ok. Thanks for detailed info on this. This is a very good help for me, as I am pretty much a beginner to this/don't know much on this subject.
Much appreciated.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2022, 10:39:49 AM »
How attached are you to the Tenni green and tan seat?  Vs a "rosso" or "black devil"?  Not sure of other countries, but in the US, all the Tenni green Griso's originally came with flat tappets.  And since this guy mentioned so much in his ad, and did not mention it had been rollerized, seems a safe bet it is still flat tappets ... but you need to confirm that with the seller.

If you don't have to have a Tenni one, then might make sense to get a newer red or black one rollerized from the start bike. 2014 or newer you are 100% safe.  In 2013 I've heard earlier ones might be tappets, later 2013 bikes might be rollers, so you would need to verify on a 2013.

Another thing to consider is going older to a 2 valve (vs 4 valve head) which doesn't have the flat tappet issue.  Would be less money than a 2014+ but also older, but solid bikes.

Not very much attached to Tenni green and tan seat frankly. I am liking your idea of going for model years as you have written in your post ( 2014 + etc ). I saw another griso on cycle trader that may work for me. Going to check on that one. I also like the idea of going with 2-valve models.
Let's see which one I am able to get hold off/find. Will keep looking. This seller is not responding to me anyways, so I guess I am getting this bike anyways.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2022, 10:42:54 AM »
Personally, I'd wait for the later blk/white or red model.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2022, 10:45:34 AM »
Oh, one more point on this ... since the OP is in my area ... none of the Moto Guzzi dealerships within ~2-3 hours knows how to do this.  The dealer in San Jose has only been a Guzzi dealer ~2 yrs and really just knows how to do basic service.  The Elk Grove dealer has been around longer but Guzzi's is a very small thing for them, not sure if they have ever done one.

If I was paying a dealer for this, I'd take it to Pro Italia in Southern Cal.  When I talked with them ~3 years ago on this topic, the person that answered the phone knew all about it, and knew rough price estimates off the top of his head.  And yes that is about a 6 hour road trip to get there.  :sad:

Ok. got it. Thanks a lot for all this info. appreciate it.

Whats "OP" btw?
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »
Not very much attached to Tenni green and tan seat frankly. I am liking your idea of going for model years as you have written in your post ( 2014 + etc ). I saw another griso on cycle trader that may work for me. Going to check on that one. I also like the idea of going with 2-valve models.
Let's see which one I am able to get hold off/find. Will keep looking. This seller is not responding to me anyways, so I guess I am getting this bike anyways.

If that's the case, save your $$ and look for an 07/08 4V motor.  Oh I know I know some peoples faces will melt off as they scream "the 8V makes much more power"  And that is true, especially if you like to live above 6K all the time to enjoy the extra performance.

I owned an 8V Norge and 4V Griso at the same time, and other than that top end rush of the 8V, FAR preferred the character and response of the 4V motor even though it was down in power and displacement. After tuning and modifications, removing the Y pipe, custom Beetle Map, I got the Norge to a point where the motor felt and performed more to my liking, but I got the bug for an MGX and traded it for one.  I REGRETTED that decision, so sold the MGX and started looking for a 1200 Sport, or 4V Norge. Found my perfect match in Ohioriders 1200 Sport and havent looked back.  I've ridden several well sorted 8V Griso's and YES they make more power up top, I still prefer my 4V Griso.

Here is my Pro and Con of the 4V/8V

8V
Pro: Top end power (above 6K), slightly better fuel economy, OHC (in head) more modern design.
Con: Sounds like a bucket of bolts at idle and low rpm, double the # of adjusters, more complex, crappy spark plug leads, less character below 6K, less 'authentic' Guzzi feel,

4V
Pro: Bargain entry price, Bulletproof motor, more character and grunt below 6K, easier maintenance, silky smooth and quiet,
Cons: Less power above 6K, older design.

If you really aren't sold on and committed to the Tenni (I think you are crazy not to, these are RARE and easily sorted) I would seriously look at a 4V.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2022, 05:13:29 PM »

I remember when this all came to light on the board.  About the same time, a local dealer (not Guzzi) was selling a used 8V Norge.  I mentioned the roller issue to the sales manager.  He said that they contacted Guzzi tech support and was told the bike was OK.  The bike was subsequently sold, the new owner joined this board and informed us of his situation.  He was stuck with purchasing and installing the kit. 

If the owner is still on the board and I got this wrong, apology in advance, just my best memory.

I think Guzzi was pretty miserly with support on this.  No recall.  Just an inspection initiated by the owner and some were approved, others not.  Some were partial pay for parts/labor when out of warranty.  That's why I thought the Norge sale was disingenuous at best.   Knowing this history has made me reluctant to purchase a new Guzzi.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2022, 08:04:12 PM »
If that's the case, save your $$ and look for an 07/08 4V motor.  Oh I know I know some peoples faces will melt off as they scream "the 8V makes much more power"  And that is true, especially if you like to live above 6K all the time to enjoy the extra performance.

I owned an 8V Norge and 4V Griso at the same time, and other than that top end rush of the 8V, FAR preferred the character and response of the 4V motor even though it was down in power and displacement. After tuning and modifications, removing the Y pipe, custom Beetle Map, I got the Norge to a point where the motor felt and performed more to my liking, but I got the bug for an MGX and traded it for one.  I REGRETTED that decision, so sold the MGX and started looking for a 1200 Sport, or 4V Norge. Found my perfect match in Ohioriders 1200 Sport and havent looked back.  I've ridden several well sorted 8V Griso's and YES they make more power up top, I still prefer my 4V Griso.

Here is my Pro and Con of the 4V/8V

8V
Pro: Top end power (above 6K), slightly better fuel economy, OHC (in head) more modern design.
Con: Sounds like a bucket of bolts at idle and low rpm, double the # of adjusters, more complex, crappy spark plug leads, less character below 6K, less 'authentic' Guzzi feel,

4V
Pro: Bargain entry price, Bulletproof motor, more character and grunt below 6K, easier maintenance, silky smooth and quiet,
Cons: Less power above 6K, older design.

If you really aren't sold on and committed to the Tenni (I think you are crazy not to, these are RARE and easily sorted) I would seriously look at a 4V.

Thanks for the details. What year should I be looking for a 4V motor? Is it only one/two years ? 2007 and 2008 ?
Or is there a range of years that had 4V motors? if yes, do you happen to know what year range is that ?
So that I can keep those year models in mind when looking/searching.

I am liking this idea, and most likely purchase a 4V if one comes up for sale. At the same time, may not be able to resist a 8V if one comes up for sale and I don't want to wait forever for a 4V. Let's see how it all goes, but at least by now I kind of know what I want/many things are clearer so as to what to expect from diff model years.
And it will be cheaper too ! He He.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2022, 11:18:29 AM »
If that's the case, save your $$ and look for an 07/08 4V motor. 

With the 07/08 models, are those the ones with possible dash issues?  And if the dash goes, does the bike still run ok?

I went through this same shopping experience ~3 years ago.  :laugh:

Also with the 4v (2v per cylinder) bikes ... you get the "normal" wheels which are tubeless and not a ton of spokes and little o-rings to possibly leak air (the 8v SE models are also tubeless, but each wire spoke has an o-ring where it attaches at the rim).  I personally like the looks of the spokes vs "mag" wheel. 

With the 4v you get shinny paint vs the matt paint of the 8v.

And with my 8v I rarely rev it over 6k rpms so I really don't get the advantage of the additional higher rpm power, so powerwise, I think I'd be happy with a 4v.

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2022, 12:19:35 PM »
I sent this dude a couple emails and he has not responded
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2022, 12:35:30 PM »
I sent this dude a couple emails and he has not responded

Ok. Interesting behavior by the seller. Why would one put up a for sale ad, and not respond ? beats me. Must be out of town or something.
But i don't know whats the deal with this listing. I am not going to waste anymore time on this listing when I can potentially get a cheaper  ( And better for my liking ) 4V, 2007/2008, which is what I am searching for now.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2022, 12:55:34 PM »
Ok. Interesting behavior by the seller. Why would one put up a for sale ad, and not respond ? beats me. Must be out of town or something.
But i don't know whats the deal with this listing. I am not going to waste anymore time on this listing when I can potentially get a cheaper  ( And better for my liking ) 4V, 2007/2008, which is what I am searching for now.

If I could get confirmation it's got rollers, I would pay the premium and the shipping. But unlike yourself I am very hot on the Tenni, it's one of my favorite all-time guzzi
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here