Author Topic: Ready to switch mounts after 17 yrs, Cal 2 auto to 1000 SP???  (Read 1662 times)

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
Ready to switch mounts after 17 yrs, Cal 2 auto to 1000 SP???
« on: September 25, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »
Whilst looking at the list of current posts, I often feel that my questions about my Cal 2 are soooooooo dated, but what the heck, where else am I going to get advice?

I've been bitten by the 1000SP bug, that red/white style and what many think is an "ugly" fairing is in my dreams at night. Seriously thinking about selling the Cal 2 auto and getting an early SP.

I've done a lot of reading in this forum and elsewhere, and I think the killer would be a sense of claustrophobia in the cockpit coming off my spacious-by-comparison Cal 2. I think I'm right on the cusp of knee-interference with the fairing lowers at 5' 10", 32" inseam. Many people state that you're good if under 6', but the 32" inseam number gets mentioned a lot, so that has me concerned.

I also have not run across a definitive peg-relocating mod to move them rearward, although I may have glossed over something and missed it.

But I am finally getting a little tired of the slowness of my Cal 2, and yearn for a 5-speed Tonti (my last 5-speed was an Eldo I sold 5 yrs ago, but that one wasn't really "dialed in" handling-wise). The clutch hub is also getting worn now to the point where it doesn't like to dis-engage the TC when I pull in the clutch, no matter how much I race the engine. Just don't feel like pulling the tranny to fix it. Wouldn't be a problem except when trying to walk the bike backwards while running. You might suggest keeping both in the stable; if I was single, or had a wife that "understands" or didn't care, or was a man of more means and time, I probably would. But I have none of those things.

I think I would suffer thru a "this sucks, I gotta figure out how to make this work" period until I fell in love with the SP, but I'm just about willing to commit to that to satisfy my mid-life crisis.

Anybody care to talk me off the ledge?

'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Ready to switch mounts after 17 yrs, Cal 2 auto to 1000 SP???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
No, buy the SP. I had an 80 and then a 93. I still have my Cal2. I need one for every style or mood. How many mi on the Vert?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »
I think Tom Kelly's trade in is still at the motorcycle shop. and in your colors/
http://www.themotocycleshop.com/moto_guzzi/moto_guzzi_used.htm
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline rocketman

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »
Why the big rush?
Rod in Salem

2003 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
No big rush, just a sense that the 1000 SP's are getting rarer and rarer that are still straight and mostly original, and I'm impulsive that way. Cal 2 Auto has just shy of 44k miles, 39k put on by me. I've had the timing cover off for ATF pump service at least 6 times.

Thanks for the ad listing, no pics so I'll call him. Kinda high miles, but that's probably why the price is reasonable.

No comments on the knees hitting the lower fairings?

Guzzisteve: Do you still have the '93? That's a different animal than the '84 vintage I'm thinking of, isn't it? How did your '80 feel compared to your Cal 2?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
Eh, keep the Cal 2 and while you're going through it, go for an SP. I suspect you'd regret selling your old friend and it'll be too late once it's gone.

As the owner of an SPII that I've owned since new, I generally love the upper fairing and have never really felt like I was in a closed space. I'm 5'11" and my only complaint about it is that the wind coming off the top of the screen buffets my helmet. Easily solved by trimming down the screen but I've never bothered because it offers such good protection.

As far as the lowers, I think Guzzi listened to complaints about legroom and slightly spread them out on the SPII to accommodate. I've never ridden an early SP so I don't know if it's bunk or not, but with a 34" inseam my knees are right on the rubber pads. But again, I've never done anything about it. I can tell you that the fairings on these, upper and lower, provide excellent protection.

The handle bars are nice. They make me lean slightly forward so my back is always straight but I never feel like I'm exhausted from leaning too far forward, even on long trip.s

I love that bike and it bums me out because so many SPs get stripped of the fairings. They are great sport touring bikes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:58:35 PM by Denis »
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:58:59 AM »
Only problems with SP's, if you don't like the OEM handlebar bend, it is hard to find an alternative set with a different bend that fits behind and under the fairing...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »
I'm only 5' 6" tall with a 30" inseam and have issues with my knees hitting the lowers.
Charlie

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
In reference to Mike's comment, I replaced the stock bars with a set of Heli bars for the first series Honda ST 1100. They fit perfectly, use stock cables and switch gear and are infinitely adjustable. With these bars adjusted properly the whole ergonomic package worked for me. The pegs suddenly seemed right so no need for a change there. If you feel crowed at the knees you can always remove the lowers. They do provide good protection in the rain though. An '83 SPNT was my first Guzzi bought new back in '84. I loved it. The only complaint I ever had was with the charging system. There was a beautiful '83 on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $3600 with lots of upgrades including EME alternator / rectifier/regulator kit (a huge improvement and not cheap). I saved the link to the ad if you're interested. I'll check back here this evening and if you want I'll send it to you.
Steve M

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »
I got used to my early Sp easily, I was riding a T before I bought the SP.  Got the Cal2 after I had bought a LM3, so I was riding all different positions, I also had a Ambo sidecar rig at that time. I guess I fit on them all.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »
Eh, keep the Cal 2 and while you're going through it, go for an SP. I suspect you'd regret selling your old friend and it'll be too late once it's gone.

I rode the Cal 2 into work today and came back to my senses....there's no way I could get rid of it, I'd hate myself.

So I'll keep investigating the SPs, and figure out a way to "launder" one into the garage so no one notices.

Thanks for the ebay mention, SPmoto, I'll look thru the completed listings tonight.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
I got used to my early Sp easily, I was riding a T before I bought the SP. 

Funny, I traded in my first bike, an 850-T, towards my SP II. I still miss that T though.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
I rode the Cal 2 into work today and came back to my senses....there's no way I could get rid of it, I'd hate myself.

So I'll keep investigating the SPs, and figure out a way to "launder" one into the garage so no one notices.

:thumb:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »

Thanks for the ebay mention, SPmoto, I'll look thru the completed listings tonight.

The Cal II Auto is the rarest of the Tonti's.  Doesn't mean it's valuable, but it would be difficult to replace at any price because there are so few out there.  Every time I see lamontsanford on ebay boning one out I cringe. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here