Author Topic: Bar end shaking on V7 racer  (Read 741 times)

Offline WHY

• New Egg
Bar end shaking on V7 racer
« on: September 07, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
I've got bar end mirror installed on my 2011 V7 Racer for some years and recently the left mirror been shaking quite a bit. i took the mirror out to check and it seems the mounting point at the tip of the handle bar came loose (the piece that circled in the pic below). anyone know how does that end piece secure to the bar? doesn't look like there are any screw or bolt to tighten it and the grip is glued and cant be taken off without damaging it?

2011 V7 Racer

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Bar end shaking on V7 racer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »
front tire worn/out of balance?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
The original bolt #27 does that, when you tighten it the inner piece should lock in place.  If you have mirrors, tighten the mount bolt.

Yea, out of balance or steering head adj. Mostly throttle bodies out of sync.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline WHY

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:57:13 PM »
Thanks guys, I am due for a new set of tire anyway. the original sport demon serve me well for 15,000 km. will  see how it turn out after replacing the tires
2011 V7 Racer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:57:13 PM »

Moto

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »
I just dealt with this issue when replacing the bar-end weights on my Italjet, and have had the same problem with my bar-end Napoleon mirrors on my T3.

The mounting screw engages with a device that sits in the smooth inner bore of the handlebar and then expands when the screw is tightened. Though there is more than one kind of these, they are all subject to being displaced when the screw is taken out. After that happens you won't be able to engage the screw any more.

The solution to the problem is to withdraw the device from the tube, thread the screw into it, and re-insert.

In the Italjet's case, the device is essentially a drilled rubber stopper with a nut inserted on the far end. The stopper has been cut through on a diagonal so that the screw will pull the two halves together when tightened and cause them to become offset, thus gripping the inner bore. I also considered whether I needed to remove my handlebar grip, but looking more closely I could see the end of the handlebar tube, and the rubber stopper sitting inside it.

If you can see a drilled rubber stopper as you look in the end of the bar, try prying it out from the edges with a small screw driver and then tugging and wiggling it persistently with needle nose pliers. Once it's out, you'll see the solution easily enough. You may need to fish out the loose nut if it is no longer attached to the rubber stopper.

I don't remember the device in my Napoleon mirrors, but the principle is the same: remove it, rethread the screw, and reinstall.

Hardware stores sell such devices (I forget what they call them), but you've got one in your bars, and just need to get it out.

Moto

EDIT: Here's a photo. The original bar-end weight at the bottom has its screw threaded through the split stopper and the seated nut at the end of the stopper. All that remains is to insert the whole business and tighten it up.

EDIT #2: I took the opportunity to glue the nut into its recess (with Duco Cement) to make it harder to dislodge in the future. I also began rotating the screw while it was still in the rubber of the stopper, rather than pushing it through, in order to avoid such a dislodging. But you'll figure it out. Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:33:26 PM by Moto »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here