General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Little Green Wing - Aermacchi Ala Verde

<< < (10/17) > >>

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on November 25, 2022, 08:30:02 AM ---Very cool!  Glad to see that one was also successfully repaired. 

Not sure if it was a pic here here on WG or elsewhere, but didn’t they make three versions of lettering on these covers?   Thought I saw pic of one that only said Aermacchi (maybe from one of the various Italian Bike museum pics) plus yours that say either Aermacchi Harley Davidson or just Harley Davidson.

--- End quote ---

You’re right Clint, at least four versions of the Aermacchi side covers, some had no text at all, just the raised ribs.
This version with just Aermacchi

Then the dual Harley Davidson / Aermacchi text and the typical North American version with just Harley Davidson.

I brought my welding shield to my friend George’s place to get up close and watch his TIG skills, it was so valuable to observe his moving of the puddle and when he added filler rod. I got to practice a bit laying a bead and with George’s help my feeble aluminum TIG abilities improved. I am still on the lookout for a used AC/DC TIG machine to get practicing on my own.

Canuck750:
Seemed like a good time to mount the 'new' side cover onto the right hand side

I was also lucky enough to find this European market left hand side inspection plate

I hope to make some serious progress on the Macchi this winter.

Frenchfrog:
Stunning work !

cliffrod:
It’s looking great, Jim.

Canuck750:
This winter another Aermacchi 250 motor came my way, this is a 68 model, the 67 and 68 250 four speeds went with a short stroke and bigger bore, the pre 67' 250 had a 67mm bore where as the 67' to 68' have a 72mm bore. Period test reports claimed more power out of the redesign and this reporting was repeated in the Ala D'Oro race bikes that got the short stroke motor in the early 60's.

Every 67 ~ 68 I have seen had the 'Cactus' head and rocker cover on them but this one is different, the piston / cylinder is a 72mm but the head has the 61 ~ 66 and 73 and 74 knuckle style head. The cylinder barrel protrusion fits as it should snuggly into the cylinder head recess and it was a complete motor. The rod feels good but the case bearings need replacement, an oversize piston is needed and the exhaust guide is worn but other than that it looks good. Engine cases are stamped 68 SS so its a bit of a mystery.
I think I will rebuild this motor and use it my Ala Verde tribute, it will need all the power it can get!

Though similar to the Benelli 'egg' motors (125 / 200 / 250cc) the Aermacchi crank is supported by one double row ball race and one single row ball race bearing on the opposite side. The Benelli singles have a double row ball race and stacked up, a single row ball race on each side of the crank, belts and suspenders!

The Aermacchi motor started life as the 175 Chimera before evolving into the 250 series motors. Period race reports of the early Aermacchi race 250's; the initial Ala D'Oro 250, praised their competitiveness but complained about their fragile engines. Aermacchi redesigned the motor to a short stroke 250 in the early 60's and supposedly the reliability improved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version