General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

76 Convert restoration/refreshening.

<< < (3/9) > >>

bigbikerrick:
Italian plastics are "funny", some things like the Guzzi saddlebags are built very sturdily, with thick, good quality plastic, and some parts like the air deflectors, are flimsy, and very crack prone at the mounts. Everything will get reinforced, with fiberglass cloth, as needed to add strength,and prevent future cracks.

<br
/>

You can see the original color of this convert ( silver) inside the bags, and below the saddlebag latches. Whoever repainted it red, many years ago, simply masked around the hardware,and did not remove it for paint.  I am currently looking for latches that will work, but considering hinging the lids from one end, so they dont remove completely. I am more interested in function/ clean looks, rather than originality. Heck, if a design can be improved upon, I may as well do it. :laugh:
Rick D.

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: bigbikerrick on August 14, 2022, 01:02:42 PM ---I am currently looking for latches that will work, but considering hinging the lids from one end, so they dont remove completely. I am more interested in function/ clean looks, rather than originality. Heck, if a design can be improved upon, I may as well do it. :laugh:
Rick D.

--- End quote ---

I used these latches on one of my previous Converts. https://www.mcmaster.com/1863A23

bigbikerrick:
Hey Charlie,   You Rock :bow: :bow: :thumb: Thank you for that ! Lord knows, I have gone over  the selection of draw latches at mcmaster Carr numerous times, and did not find those. I found a couple other that would work, but those that you found match the originals almost perfectly.
I am going to order 4 of those along with some other fasteners and fuel line to round out the order.

Thanks again, Sir,

Rick Duarte

Antietam Classic Cycle:
You're welcome.

bigbikerrick:
The convert restoration continues, floorboards powder coated, and new rubber mats glued down, all new K&S switchgear on the handlebars, still working on my horn issue, everything else works as it should. No more wires running inside the handlebars, I hate that! Everything runs on the outside, for ease of service. Gas tank cleaned, to remove a small area of surface rust, down by the fuel level bung. 

Rick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version