Author Topic: Open House at Hamlin's Cycle  (Read 1432 times)

Offline th_01

• Hatchling
  • It is what it is.........
Open House at Hamlin's Cycle
« on: March 22, 2023, 09:02:49 PM »
Hi All

I heard there is going to be an Open House at Hamlin's Cycle in Bethel,CT
It is 6-9 March 30th
We're supposed to contact Jim and let him know you're coming

Who is going?

I hear he is going to do a little show and tell on the new V100 Mandello!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:47:17 PM by th_01 »
Tom in Boston
1973 Eldorado
1976 T3++
2023 V85 Centenario
2023 V100s Centenario
1966 Aermacchi Harley Davidson M-50S - on Display and Vanilla Bean

Online SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Open House at Hamlin's Cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 08:39:11 AM »
Bring your own food and drink...like the Holiday Party.

SR

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »
I plan on attending probably with the Steve Cody will be attending

TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 02:57:17 PM »
My son and I will be there. Will he get longest distance? Eastern TN. Kidding, of course.  R3~

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 09:49:05 AM »
My son and I will be there. Will he get longest distance? Eastern TN. Kidding, of course.  R3~

See you there Bud!

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 04:14:24 PM »
Reminder ... see you tomorrow!

Don't forget to bring some food and drink,

SR

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 09:07:50 PM »
The diner across the street is pretty decent.  There's also other restaurants nearby.   :food: :food: :food:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 09:05:09 AM »

2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 10:07:10 AM »
On Thursday, March 30, some 40+ hardcore cognoscenti convened at Connecticut’s exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer…Hamlin Cycles in Bethel…to celebrate the unveiling of the all-new V100 Mandello. Yes, the exclusive, 2023 Eagle’s finally landed, and the Open House debut certainly didn’t disappoint!
   Five examples of the anxiously awaited, clean-sheet-of-paper sport tourer were on hand. Three highline Mandello S models in two-tone Verde green (black wheels, brown seat) and two entry level Mandellos in Bianco Polare white (gold wheels, black seat). In case you’ve forgotten, the model name comes from Moto Guzzi’s legendary hometown along the shores of Lake Como…Mandello del Lario. The “S” designation returns from such memorable machines as the seminal 1000S.
   Like Hamlin’s end of year Holiday extravaganza, Guzzi guys and gals brought their own food and refreshments to the Open House. So there was no shortage of eats, treats and sweets, with shared variety proving to be the spice of life. As usual.
   But back to the bike itself. The first thing that strikes you about the V100 is its modern compactness. In my eye, it comes off as beefy and purposeful while simultaneously conveying a fleet-of-foot persona…so its aesthetic appeal is spirited, graceful and inviting. To me, it harkens back to something between the LeMans V and the Norge in stature…now transformed over lightyears for a new millennium…and on steroids. It’s been described as the perfect “fusion of dynamism and comfort”…thus there’s a bit of obvious, Mandello del Lario lineage maintained within its image. And due to its exposed, in-your-face, 90-degree transverse V-twin engine, it could never be mistaken for anything other than a Moto Guzzi. 
   Speaking of its iconic engine, it’s now four inches shorter (which compensates for the intrusion of a radiator) and displaces 1,042 cc. A counter balancer (a first for the Mandello) is included. Park it next to something like an 1100 Breva and its packaging efficiency is immediately apparent.
   As the inaugural water-cooled Moto Guzzi, the V100 obviously incorporates so said radiator within a matte black, stylized enclosure that harmonizes with the bottom element of the front fairing. It does double duty to carry the turn signals. Fortunately, it’s very well designed not obtrusive. Neither is the chunky, side exiting exhaust. Gold anodized valve covers top off the 113-hp. engine with a wonderful degree of elegant sophistication. And fortunately, the days of black engine cases are well behind us. The V100’s complete powertrain is brilliant silver.
   On the flipside, the batwing rear seat grab handles are obviously a bit un-Moto Guzzi-like. But since so many will opt for what’s rather a beefy optional Luggage Rack, that nitpick will prove to be a non-issue. As with many a modern Moto Guzzi, accessory side Bags (they’re short but wide) attach directly to integrated mounting points beneath the rear seat section. No bracketry required. They’re trimmed up top with silver/gray appliques that jive particularly well with the two-tone Verde/Gray “S” model. And will do likewise with the other two-tone highline color combination…Grigio Avanguardia (Gray/Black).
   Other, available factory goodies include a taller, Touring Windscreen, Top Case, Heated Comfort Saddles (standard height, plus low and high in black), Centerstand, Cylinder Head Guards (like the rack, also quite robust), Auxiliary LED Lamps, Crash Bars, Heated Grips and more. Unlike the days of yore, they’re already fully available and Jim Hamlin had the majority of them on hand…and installed…for everyone’s perusal.
   Since everything is so condensed and well packaged, the 4.5-gallon fuel tank sits a little lower than you might imagine. That’s because a bit of its capacity extends beneath the seat which contributes to a low center of gravity. The front section of the tank houses the air filter, since the in-Vee throttle bodies have been moved so far forward with the new engine design. It resides beneath a removable access cover on top of the tank. Elegant, functional alloy bar risers anchor a black, tubular handlebar.
   The short, compact wheelbase will no doubt contribute to handling precision and turn-in response. I wouldn’t expect the flickability of an Aprilia or Ducati due to its specific sport tourer intentions. But no doubt, the V100 represents a huge step forward in Moto Guzzi maneuverability…combined with the traditional roadworthiness that the brand stands for.  Tires? All five examples at Hamlin’s unveiling were specified with 17-inch Pirelli Angels. The first-ever (for Guzzi) left-sided swing arm and short muffler allows the exquisite cast alloy wheel (especially the gold one) to be seen it all its glory.
   Speaking of that, the shaft drive, single-sided swingarm and rear mono shock certainly looks rugged, well integrated and confidence inspiring. The four-piston Brembo calipers with Anti-lock Braking (Cornering and Traction Control) have been described as “incredibly powerful and tactile.” They’re the best brakes ever specified for a Moto Guzzi.
   Adaptive aerodynamic side flaps…the first of their kind…open at a 30-degree angle at speed (which can be customized). They were developed from Piaggio Wind Tunnel experience and are highlighted by a thin, orange surround. Moto Guzzi says the innovative system reduces wind pressure by 22-percent. The electrically operated windscreen offers 4-inches of adjustment. Together with the adaptive aero system, wind protection is said to be “Best-in-Class.”
   My assumption was that the Mandello would wear a few bits and pieces from the most recent V85 TT, though instead it shares some Aprilia DNA. So I was a bit surprised (well, not really) to see that it has a different instrument cluster. It appears to be sourced from the latest Toureg adventure bike and was also seen on the RSV4 and Tuono. The V100 switchgear is unique as well, along with hydraulic brake and clutch masters which include remote reservoirs. So they’re proven products.
   V100 Mandello weight has come in at 514 pounds. The Norge tipped the scales at 542 pounds…while the old, computerless and carbureted LeMans V was 475. Seat height is an accommodating 32.1 inches (the Norge was 31.5, while the LeMans V measured 30.5). Throwing a leg over it, it’s fairly narrow with an on-the-ground footprint that on the order of an 850 V7.
   Like all modern Moto Guzzis, fit and finish is of the highest order. Premium paint, castings and the like convey a rich, upscale elegance in accordance with the best that modern industrial artisans have to offer. Like an Armani suit. As is attention to the smallest detail down to premium hardware, delicate standoffs and tidy cable ties.
   Since the V100 has been on sale now for some months in Europe, confidence has already been established in its in-use expectation. No definitive issues nor concerns have been reported, and owners have simply been racking up the miles for a trouble-free existence. Which bodes well for us Americans.
   The entry level V100 Mandello retails for $15,490. The $17,490 “S” includes semi-active Ohlins suspension, a QuickShift system, Heated Grips, Tire Pressure Monitoring and an MIA multimedia/smartphone platform.
   Two of the five preordered Hamlin V100s were paid for on the spot during the Open House. One was loaded on a trailer…then and there…and whisked away. 
   So now…rising to the occasion…we’re beyond what’s traditionally been a Moto Guzzi model evolution. With the arrival of the V100 and its totally new platform, we’ve entered into the groundbreaking realm of Moto Guzzi revolution. The only thing to do now, of course, is…to ride one. So I did, thanks to Jim Hamlin.
   A quick spin around Bethel, Connecticut revealed that there’s a lot of Aprilia in the new Moto Guzzi when it comes to refinement and response. As successful Moto GP competitors, that’s not a bad thing. But plenty of Guzzi DNA remains within the V100 when it comes to such visceral concerns as sound and feedback. Power comes on with fluidity and purpose, though it’s obviously not a high strung hyperbike. I’ve ridden bikes with better gear changing, but certainly many more with worse.
   The interference of afternoon school buses and remaining winter road sand certainly didn’t allow me to press the chassis, though it did present new-found nimbleness. And the riding position was superlative…for what’s going to be a mature buyer demographic that desires a bit of sport pretension combined with sit-up comfort.
   So the V100 experience will, in fact, be enjoyed like a fine glass of Italian wine. You seek it out among a myriad of varietals, then study its cultivation through the avalanche of written materials that have been prepared for it. Which is certainly more comprehensive than just a provocative label. After that, you crawl all over it in the flesh to understand its bouquet, flavor and finish and consult the expert ratings and reviews to fully comprehend the final blend from the Mandello del Lario vineyard. Then, in anticipation, take it for a tiny taste test down the road at a dealership like Hamlin’s in Bethel, Connecticut before ultimately popping the cork and enjoying the harvest.
   Yes, the V100 is meant to be savored. And no doubt, will be.

P.S. -- as an added bonus, Moto Guzzi Svengali Jim Hamlin also displayed his latest Franken-Guzzi. A 1200 Sport stuffed with big, bodacious California 1400 V-twin engine! There’ll be more to follow on that in the next MGNOC NEWS.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 11:25:14 AM »
A fun afternoon and evening - and one hell of a motorcycle - a modern sport bike that will easily and comfortably tour. This Moto Guzzi with the latest features, plus many thought filled useful surprises, has broken the mold and moved on. Whether you are new to the breed or a much seasoned Moto Guzzi fanatic - you are witnessing a great step forward. I'm rather certain you will be impressed by the entire package design and its' integration of new technologies - it's fit and finish.

Colors? Accessories? Be the first on your 'block'

Liquid cooled! Really? You will not be disappointed. Where IS that radiator. 

Thank you Jim. A great venue for seeing dear friends and great motor cycles. R3~

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 04:28:10 PM »
Yes, a big thanks to Jim for opening up his dealership to the likes of us.  Fantastic turnout, and I’m sure it will ultimately sell many more of these beautiful machines.

Great time !

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 01:28:47 AM »
We tell folks often Jim and the crew are the best-and I think some feel we're whistling Dixie.  We know, though, eh?  It's really a shame more folks don't get a dealer like Hamlin.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 06:32:41 AM »
It takes a certain attitude to be a dealer like Jim.  The most important element is a passion for the marque, you must be "all in".  I don't think that this is an overstatement. I believe that to be successful, you have to want to get up everyday and get at it.  The other element, also very important is an unselfish nature toward those you work with and to your customers.  You can't sit in your office with your feet up and wait for the money to rain down.  When wrenching is needed in the winter when you are running a short staff, you get right in there.  When the cash register needs tending, you do that too.  When the customer has a problem, you are all over it.  It also takes a certain business acumen to make every penny such as instead of telling a potential buyer to "sell your trade yourself and come back" to either take the trade, give a fair price that leaves you room to make some profit but not a killing so you send the buyer home on a MG and have a piece of merchandise to make a little more money with.  Also, a small space is important so that it is affordable in the winter months when revenue is down.

I am glad that there seem to be more dealers, but many of them are multi-line.  I am not saying that this is a bad thing, its just that the only way a dealer can be like Hamlin is if it is that model of the small, single brand shop dedicated to the brand.  Our local BMW dealer was like that 25 years ago and they thrived, then they got a gigantic store with a fair number of employees and lasted only a few more years.

Thanks for listening to the rantings of an old dude.
Blue Guzz

Offline Bigtime

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 08:29:18 AM »
  Jim Hamlin is simply the best of the best! He travels to several rallies every year with a van full of tools to help anyone in need. Just the best.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 11:20:49 AM »
  Jim Hamlin is simply the best of the best! He travels to several rallies every year with a van full of tools to help anyone in need. Just the best.

A month after I bought my V85 from Jim, he did my first service AT the Ohio rally on a concrete pad near the pavilion.  I didn’t know he was going to do that, but he did know I was riding the bike to Barber a month later.  How’s that for customer service!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 08:40:59 AM »
Sounds like a nice time.  Need more young blood coming to the brand and hopefully the V7s help with that.  I know I couldn't afford the equivalent of an almost $18,000 motorcycle when I was in my 20s and 30s.  The most I spent on a bike back then was $2500.  Royal Enfield money today. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 09:25:39 AM »
I'm sure the new one is pretty, but that V11 in the background steals the show.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 08:09:15 PM by Ncdan »
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2023, 10:49:01 AM »

Where's Waldo?

I see me drinking a beer...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »
SLDMRossi is always a worthwhile contributor and his review is comprehensive and human.
I have seen enough now to know, that mine would have to be red, silver wheels, no quick shifter, no “semi active suspension”, centrestand and silver fork sliders.
So the basic model with silver wheels, if I’m on point.
The problem I have is that getting a V100 means I would realistically need to de register either my Norge or the trail bike and I can’t see myself doing either.
I’m really pleased for the current and future owners that the Mandello has good signs for real world rideability and reliability.
But jeeez….I never thought I’d say that “I hate those wings…” (but I do…).
Mine would be disarmed.

Everyone worth listening to, has a great opinion of Hamlin’s. My thoughts are that the best possible way to keep guys like him viable, is to not buy stuff off the internet if he’s able to provide what you need and if he opened a second store with the same “old world” approach, then support him at the expense of his competitors.
Things are looking good… :popcorn: :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:53:03 PM by Huzo »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 04:49:46 PM »
A month after I bought my V85 from Jim, he did my first service AT the Ohio rally on a concrete pad near the pavilion.  I didn’t know he was going to do that, but he did know I was riding the bike to Barber a month later.  How’s that for customer service!

+100

I bought my V85 from Jim and it was set up perfectly. He and his team did my first service at the NH rally in a horse barn. The team took their time, changed the trans and gearbox oils in addition to the oil, set valves and basically went front to back checking every nut and bolt. Hard to find service like that.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »
A number of people in attendance who has ridden the bike remarked that the wings just plain worked

I believe Jim said the aerodynamics were great.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here