General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Ambo vs Eldo

(1/2) > >>

brider:
I've been looking for basket-case Eldos ever since I sold my nice '74 LAPD Eldo 7 yrs ago, but the prices are gittin' high for even ratty ones. So now I expanded my search to Ambos. Their prices seem to be a notch lower, for what looks like a very similar baseline bike.

Are the main differences between the two the displacement and tranny? The rear drive on the Ambo looks different, and the tranny near the output shaft looks different.

Was it the bore or stroke, or both that changed between the two?

Can an Eldo 5-speed bolt up to an Ambo bellhousing?

What's that 4-speed like? Just a little more spacing between the gears?

Is there any frame geometry differences?

I searched for Ambo vs Eldo topics, but all seem focused on one small aspect, and usually the police version.

brider:
Nevermind...one more search and I found Greg Bender's essay(s) on this subject.

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: brider on October 04, 2017, 02:50:02 PM ---I've been looking for basket-case Eldos ever since I sold my nice '74 LAPD Eldo 7 yrs ago, but the prices are gittin' high for even ratty ones. So now I expanded my search to Ambos. Their prices seem to be a notch lower, for what looks like a very similar baseline bike.

Are the main differences between the two the displacement and tranny? The rear drive on the Ambo looks different, and the tranny near the output shaft looks different.

Was it the bore or stroke, or both that changed between the two?

Can an Eldo 5-speed bolt up to an Ambo bellhousing?

What's that 4-speed like? Just a little more spacing between the gears?

Is there any frame geometry differences?

I searched for Ambo vs Eldo topics, but all seem focused on one small aspect, and usually the police version.

--- End quote ---

If you compare a '72 Ambassador and a '72 or '73 Eldo, they are very similar. Larger displacement was achieved with 8 mm more stroke with the same bore.

Transmissions are completely different but are interchangeable with the matching shift linkage parts. However, rear drive gearing would also need to be changed (unless it's a very early "A-series" Ambo). Most Ambos have 8/35 rear drive and Eldos 8/37, so if you just stuff a five-speed into an Ambo, the overall gearing is very tall and lots of clutch slipping will be necessary to take off from a stop. IMO, there's no need to do the swap in the first place, the four-speed works well enough, if a bit noisily and has ratios well suited for everything but interstate riding.

No frame geometry differences. Same suspension, brakes (until the 4LS and disc fronts), etc.

The earlier Ambos will have more differences.

Guzzer:
The Ambo gearing is good... 4th gear will get you moving plenty fast for drum brakes!
I think the ElDorado gearing is too high even with the ElDorado rear end unless you're mostly riding interstates.   It sounds like I could put an Ambo rear end into my ElDorado and it would be better suited for the steep and curvy hilly roads that I ride.  Is that right? 

brider:

--- Quote from: Guzzer on October 09, 2017, 04:44:35 PM ---   It sounds like I could put an Ambo rear end into my ElDorado and it would be better suited for the steep and curvy hilly roads that I ride.  Is that right?

--- End quote ---

No, this is the opposite of what you'd want if the Ambo rear is 8/35 and the Eldo is 8/37. 35-tooth rear end is "taller" than 37, guess that's why when swapping an Eldo tranny into an Ambo without a rear-end swap, the gearing ends up too "tall".

I'm curious about Antietam's assessment that the Ambo gearing is good except for interstate riding. What is the downside of the Ambo gearing for interstate? By interstate, I think holding 70 mph for hours, everything else is comfort and handling, and braking only comes into play when.....braking; nothing to do with gearing.????

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version