Author Topic: Another niggle  (Read 1939 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Another niggle
« on: November 07, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »
After a thorough warmup, me and the V7 headed onto the I8 from La Mesa toward the beach... About 15 or so miles.  Just as I exited the highway on ramp the yellow check engine light came on for a few moments... Then went off and stayed off.  I attributed it to character and continued.  As I left the freeway, the bike sputtered and refused to hold an idle at stop lights.  I turned into a residential neighborhood and came to a stop.  The bike died.  I turned the key off and patiently waited a minute or two.  Turned the key on and it started right up like nothing happened.  I'm starting to suspect gremlins.  Time for the dealer to get involved?

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Another niggle
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
What year is your bike?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
You've had a few stalling issues with this bike (Stone) in the past. Were there any resolutions to those?

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »
You've had a few stalling issues with this bike (Stone) in the past. Were there any resolutions to those?
Just a few times it stalled.  I first attributed it to me doing something.  The funny thing is, if I turn the bike off and just wait it runs fine.  Today I ride the stone back home without any trouble.... It was a trouble free and pleasant ride.  But there is likely an electrical issue somewhere, perhaps a shorted wire or loose connection... Thou I haven't found it

I have jiggled the wires on the kickstand, and under the voltage regulator.  Nothing happened to indicate a problem.  Taken off the gas cap to relieve pressure in the tank.  Next step is to make an appointment with the dealer and let them try to figure it out... It's a tough one since the stalls are so seldom... Hard to pin point. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:12:33 PM »

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »
Intermittents can be tough to diagnose. Hope the pros can find a simple resolution.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »
Today, I had some time to tinker.  Took off the side panels and traced the electrical wires... until they ran under the tank or I couldn't see them anymore.  The battery terminals looked kind of funny, like they were connected in a hurry.  The red terminal wire connector wasn't seated flat down on the battery terminal.  The screw threads looked like they cross-threaded the flat wire connector so were angled off the battery terminal with only one side in contact.  I hadn't noticed that before... I guess I didn't pull back the red plastic hood off the terminal completely until today.

While at it, I checked every wire connector I could find and made sure positive contact was made.  The. I checked the air filter and box... Which seemed to have a very small amount of oil in the bottom. 

Don't know if that will solve my electric gremlins, but I did enjoy getting to know my bike a bit better.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here