Author Topic: NEW 2014 Stelvio with noise issues  (Read 6520 times)

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
NEW 2014 Stelvio with noise issues
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
  Hi Guys, not new here but don't post so much as all 3 other Guzzi's have been solid for years. I just got a deal on a left over 2014 Stelvio NTX. It had not even been serviced, so they set it up for me, I test rode it, made an offer and away I go. I had a 2009 Stelvio previously as well as a 07 Griso, and a V7 Racer. (all short lived) The new 14 started out after 300 miles or so, with a noise that sounded at first like a belt squeal. Its been windy and hard to hear from under a helmet. It started becoming more of a Screech, and happens running, rolling off the throttle, as up to a light in lower gears. It lasts long enough now, that I can tell pulling the clutch in stops it. So with the bike on the stand and running through 1, 2, and 3rd gear, it rolls up and as you throttle down something is out of balance in the drive train. So maybe the sound is a bearing noise. This has all  transpired with only 400 miles on it. I noticed there was another Stelvio owner with a similar problem, but he hasn't followed up on what the culprit was. His had 4000 miles on it. Anyone else with info or similar problems?    thanks  ~T~

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NEW 2014 Stelvio with noise issues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »
While I don't own one, I have seen some mentioned of clutch noise on some Stelvios. A number of owners have had them replaced under warranty to solve that problem.

As for running it on the stand, don't. Not only will it not help in diagnosing the problem (no load, cardan slop, etc), but it is a safety risk - and Pete will hurl a wombat all the way from the outback to land on your shoulders and rip you apart.  :popcorn:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
 My feeling is its not the clutch. It could be,... but the squeal is more a bearing type high pitch. Never had a problem with running shaft bikes (BMW or Moto Guzzi's) on stand or on a jack (for short periods) on any bikes in the past 30 years of so. The other post made by a gentleman that had a drive imbalance is what I was trying to get some info from. It's under warranty, and it's a matter of whether to ride it in to the dealer or trailer it.  Thanks for the input, clutch would be better than drive train or rear drive.

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »
My feeling is its not the clutch. It could be,... but the squeal is more a bearing type high pitch. Never had a problem with running shaft bikes (BMW or Moto Guzzi's) on stand or on a jack (for short periods) on any bikes in the past 30 years of so. The other post made by a gentleman that had a drive imbalance is what I was trying to get some info from. It's under warranty, and it's a matter of whether to ride it in to the dealer or trailer it.  Thanks for the input, clutch would be better than drive train or rear drive.

Really? I think not my friend. Wanna see whats involved in getting to the clutch on a Stelvio? Look no further!

You have to pull the gearbox and final drive to get to the clutch anyhoo! Its a prick of a job on a Stelvio! :shocked:

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:21:05 PM »
Stelvio clutch. Easy.
NOT!

Your description is not the 'cold clutch squeal' that mine has.
I assume you have inspected the lube level in the transmission and rear drive?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:22:59 PM by OMG »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:29:39 PM »
And the fix is a clutch from a Cali14. Most likely it's coming apart in there.

I would not wait on taking it in.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Oh I know what it takes to get to the clutch my friend, I've restored and maintained some 65 bikes over the years, lots of them Guzzi's and BMW's. (the old stuff is easier than what your doing) This work will be done by the shop as warranty work. And your right in terms of labor, For my sake I would feel better about a clutch replacement taking care of my high pitched screech. For some reason would like to know my drivetrain is good from the factory and would like to think it is just a clutch noise. I don't know if that makes sense to you. Unless they outright replace a rear drive or shaft/cardan, I'm afraid of the shop tech's qualifications in doing a repair of certain parts. The mechanic left the satellite shop, they are closing it and the other main shop didn't carry M.G., but will now. But,  I guess I would rather have them change out wholesale, the rear drive as a unit than dig in as you have without being M.G. techs.  I like your style, even without the suspenders.  Maybe I'll be lucky and it will be something simple. I've had good luck with the new Guzzi's and bought a new one so I could ride in my retirement and stop working on them. Thanks ~T~

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:48:23 PM »
If it will help put your mind at ease the gearboxes seem indestructible and the CARC bevel box is also pretty damn good. I've had a few minor issues with bearing damage, usually as a result of water intrusion, and a couple of pinion nuts coming loose. In the grand scheme of things though they are not failure prone. As far as clutches are concerned there seems to have been a short run of bad'n's back at some point in 2013. Maybe yours is a hangover from that?

As Steve says though if it does get its clutch replaced it'll get the Cali 14 item which has the added benefit of a much lighter pull.

Pete

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »
 Pete, No, I haven't pulled the plugs and checked levels, and that was my first thought with 300 miles on it. I asked when I test rode it if it had in fact had fluids, and proper tire pressure. But being under warranty I'm not touching it, just taking it back in on a trailer. Not giving them an excuse to say it's something I did. Cold clutch operation is good, no noise, That's why my feeling is that it's not the clutch. I thought at first the belt, but it sounds more like a bearing noise now.

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
Lighter pull would be good, arthritis in hands. The old bikes bother my hands terrible. I know these are solid bikes, I got rid of the GS 1200 for another Stelvio for that reason. Thanks for the reassurance.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 12:50:03 AM »
The Stelvio clutch noise happens with the engine cold and while engaging the clutch. At least in my case. It does not occur under the conditions you mentioned.
Just wondering, there is oil (or enough oil) in the gearbox?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:08:02 AM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 02:54:17 AM »
call the dealer
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »
Gearbox oil level...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »
And the fix is a clutch from a Cali14. Most likely it's coming apart in there.

I would not wait on taking it in.
That's nasty!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
HELP NEW 2014 Stelio with noise issues UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 11:20:45 PM »
 So, as mentioned at 400 miles I took my new (left over in showroom) 2014 Stelvio into the dealer to address the noise issue. It sounds like a bearing but my feeling is it's the clutch. It went in the shop May 6th and there it still is, with the motor out on a bench. They inspected the drive train, clutch and transmission (opened the trans up and inspected) and they can't find any issues. They know there is a problem as the noise became more prominent louder and more often after they got it back. They have been in touch with M.G. Tech line, to no avail. Any suggestions? Thought I got a good deal at $12,000 with some accessories, but not feeling like it was such a good deal now.   ~T~

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
Re: HELP NEW 2014 Stelio with noise issues UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:21 AM »
So, as mentioned at 400 miles I took my new (left over in showroom) 2014 Stelvio into the dealer to address the noise issue. It sounds like a bearing but my feeling is it's the clutch. It went in the shop May 6th and there it still is, with the motor out on a bench. They inspected the drive train, clutch and transmission (opened the trans up and inspected) and they can't find any issues. They know there is a problem as the noise became more prominent louder and more often after they got it back. They have been in touch with M.G. Tech line, to no avail. Any suggestions? Thought I got a good deal at $12,000 with some accessories, but not feeling like it was such a good deal now.   ~T~

If you paid full price you could have had the same. You are not in a Lemon law state? Guzzi should solv it. The dealer recognises there is a problem, or tell you don't worry?
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
 Yea the price doesn't have anything to do with it. California has a lemon law that pertains to "unfixable" vehicles. They are attempting to fix it, as they realize there is a problem. They just can't determine what the problem is.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 01:28:40 PM »
My 2012 Stelvio had the clutch plate issue that guzzisteve's picture shows, and I believe that this appeared to be limited to a relatively small run of 2012 models.  I would be surprised if this extended into 2014 production, but I suppose someone could have found a left over clutch and installed it.  First guess, though, would be something else.

Ugh!  Those pictures bring back memories I'd rather have forgotten!  I've added a couple of my own for your viewing pleasure!

Although it was a lot of work to get things back in order, I have to say that I felt a real sense of accomplishment once done, and I am very pleased with the action of the new Cal 14 clutch.  Sincere thanks again to all who offered advice, and to Pete Roper who was kind enough to lend me his special factory tools for the job!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline VTwins

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 07:37:43 PM »
 I had heard that there was a clutch issue in 2013, in which case it could be a left over. They claim they have inspected the trans., clutch and rear drive and found nothing. With only 400 miles on it, it might be tough to find abnormal wear. I spoke with the General Manager of the shop today and he was wondering why the bike has been in there so long. He claims they have an excellent, factory trained technician and he has been in touch with the Moto Guzzi factory reps/Techs. The General Manager said he will speak to them and the tech. and get back to me tomorrow. At this point I'd like to give it back, and he will speak to Moto Guzzi about that option. It seems as though this is an option under the Ca. lemon law. The factory would have to take it back, the dealer won't. I bought a new bike and would like a new bike, not one rebuilt by a shop tech. He says the factory will have the tech rebuild the trans, but not replace.           My position is, if I buy I new bike with new factory parts, I shouldn't have to live with a rebuilt trans. by a shop tech in a new bike. Suggestions or ideas welcome. 

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »
Follow your instinct. With 400 miles on your new bike you should not have to have it rebuilt by a dealership if it was not right from the factory-though it may well be better, if it actually works!

Seriously, they should replace the bike.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here