Author Topic: Free air  (Read 5040 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Free air
« on: May 26, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »
While enjoying a ride on an unfamiliar part of town, I rode over an expansion joint that was a bit wider than anticipated.  Consequently, I was launched off the seat as the Stoney V7's stock suspension attempted to soak up the impact. 

Fortunately, a white knuckled split second later I was back on the seat wondering what just happened!  No harm done, but the pucker factor was high. 

Guess I need to re-research seats, shocks, and forks.  With all the varied brands posters have tried (invested is a term used a lot), I wonder if they REALLY make a difference.  I think I recall Penderecki saying he used a heavier fork oil or something.

Frankly, I'm terrified of tampering with the fork for fear of ruining my bike.  You guys make it sound easy.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:24:03 AM by vstevens »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Free air
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
Yes it makes a difference correctly setting up the suspension for you weight etc short of improving the rider is probably one of the most cost effective things you can do.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »
 I ran over an expansion joint on a bridge over the Vermillion River in March and it threw me completely out of my wheelchair.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »
That was the number one issue I had with my 15 V7 Stone.  I'd get thrown off the seat 20 times a day-no good.
I knew going in that I'd need to replace both ends of the bike.  Hamlin Cycles, where I get my bikes, get top marks for their knowledge and set up for motorcycles.  Their client list includes former AMA #1 plate holders and I know I'm in good hands.

After the work the difference between as delivered and modified is quite a large gap.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:29:43 AM »
Fwiw you can stop getting thrown out of the seat by either reducing preload on the rear shocks or replacing them.

The front suspension won't really have an effect on THAT.

And though I'm sure you can improve the feel and responsiveness of the front and that could be a benefit too it might make sense to change one variable at a time and see if you still feel you need it.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 06:39:27 AM »
I ran over an expansion joint on a bridge over the Vermillion River in March and it threw me completely out of my wheelchair.

You should probably call Invacare and see about some suspension changes Jim, We had a lady call in to tell us her top came off exposing her hooters crossing the RR tracks and said she wanted a new power chair. We told her there's no medicare code for boob exposure issues.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
My wheelchair is hardtail with no suspension.  The joint stopped my progress like hitting a wall, chair went over and out I rolled.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:55:28 AM »
My wheelchair is hardtail with no suspension.  The joint stopped my progress like hitting a wall, chair went over and out I rolled.

Not really serious, the manufacturers will tell you those chairs are made for indoor use. We used to say "jimmy crack corn and inva don't care"
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »
I really hated the suspension of my v7ii when i first got it.  In addition to being painful on frost heaved expansion joints, it would also scare me when I found a nice twisty road and wanted to go fast.

For sure, the best money is to be spent on the fork.  It might not seem like it, but it is worse than the shocks.  There are some good solutions out there like drop-in Matris cartridges, etc.  I am sure they work well, but they are expensive.

I have had good experience with Race Tech, so I gave them a try.  The solution is the correct springs, Gold valve emulator, and heavier oil.  Parts will be less than $300.

I see that a few folks buy that Matris spring kit with a fancy preload adjuster.  Looks nice, but it doesn't address the horrible compression damping.  So stick with the stock fork cap, and put the $ towards the compression damping.  You won't need to fool around with preload if the fork is set up properly.

Now this solution does involve removing and drilling holes in the stock damper rod.  If you are unsure about doing it yourself, just pull the forks, and take them, with clear instructions,  to someone who can.  Race Tech has reasonable rates if you can get them there.

The support from Race Tech was great.  Matt Wiley contact info is on their website.  You will need to determine the proper spring rate for your weight, preload setting, oil level, and gold valve settings.

I also replaced the shocks with Hagon units obtained from a forum member who happened to be the same weight as me.  They are better than stock, but not by a huge margin.

The bike is much more comfortable now, and I can ride it fast without scaring myself.  If you do the suspension, you will probably find that the stock seat is fine.  There's another savings that you can put into the shocks as they can be expensive.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
What Kev said.   I picked up a great little book by Wilbers suspension co that taught me all I really wanted to know on the subject.  If I could understand it most anyone could.  Google, Book Wilbers Motorcycle Suspension Design and Technology.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 08:36:05 AM »
Not to take away from the suspension improvement suggestions, but when I see a possible big bump coming, I get off the seat a few inches, keep my knees bent, and let the bike do what it wants.  If the bump is big enough, the best suspension won't be enough to allow you to stay seated.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »
Not to take away from the suspension improvement suggestions, but when I see a possible big bump coming, I get off the seat a few inches, keep my knees bent, and let the bike do what it wants.  If the bump is big enough, the best suspension won't be enough to allow you to stay seated.

Back in the day, a bunch of us were introduced to motorcycling on dirt. This teaches some lessons like standing on the pegs when approaching big bumps (just like Jim describes), or pulling upward on the bars just before impact. That said, your suspension can be improved (Race Tech is a great place to get some good kit), but don't spend your money until you have given the stock units a proper try. If you can set up your front and rear to sag about 10% under your body weight, you'll get the best out of your stock suspension. If you can't achieve this, at least you'll know what end needs work...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:57:22 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »

For sure, the best money is to be spent on the fork. 

I guess I'm saying that no, it's NOT "for sure" because it depends on what the OP is looking to do.

My stock front suspension isn't going to win any contests or awards for comfort but it's reasonably functional from the twisties or a track day to MOST every of my riding conditions.

And certainly it would not be the cause of Friday heaves or bumps throwing my out of the saddle.

From where I sit my front remains stock and the YSS replacement shocks have improved the rear and no further changes are "necessary" to me.

So it depends on the OP's needs and desires.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Penderic

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
Well, you're on your way to smooth riding now.

:shocked:

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Well, you're on your way to smooth riding now.

:shocked:
The pope would not approve !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »
I'm a skeptic about most things, including motorcycle suspension.  However, after 2 years of being dissatisfied with my V7II Stone's suspension and reading reports in the forums, I did more research, took some expert advice, and went with the Matris full fork kit (F15M108K) and Matris piggyback shocks (MM104.2KC-N).  I try to avoid hyperbole, but the improvement over the stock suspension is absolutely amazing.  I personally like the ride with minimum compression damping and just enough rebound damping to prevent bouncing (rocking horse).  I now go over treacherous bumps, frost heaves, sunken manhole covers, etc., in complete comfort, whereas they used to launch me from the seat, jar my spine, and rattle my teeth.  Moreover, the ride feels much more secure and stable, and it probably is, because the wheels now spend more time in contact with the pavement and less time in the air.  These Matris puppies are expensive, but I took a risk and ordered mine directly from Italy (Carpimoto) at about a 40% savings over the retail cost in the US.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:11:27 PM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 03:12:36 PM »
I just installed a Matris Steering Damper on my Vintage. They make some beautiful stuff. The CarpiMoto (seize the motorbike?) price makes the cost a great deal easier to take...

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
....seize the motorbike?)...
Maybe, but a Mr. Carlo Carpi answered my email question about my order on a Sunday!  Presumably, the boss works weekends.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
Thanks for all the tips, I love the V7 stock as possible but may look at Kev's yes shocks.  Thanks again and happy memorial to all.

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
I was looking at the customers' V7s on the Moto International website and noticed that many of them had shocks with red ends. So I called and asked about them. I was assured that they were a great improvement, plus, they were reasonably priced. So I ordered them.
They are a great improvement over the OEM; no longer am I bounced off the seat. I'm not a high performance rider, but I have no complaints. The high priced shocks might be better, but I don't think I would know the difference.
The shocks are Progressives; order them from MI, they know the specs.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 10:54:18 PM »
That's a fact Jim. Several year of trail ridding was the best training possible for street riders. Number one rule, get your buttocks off that seat as it's only there for looks,lol

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
Progressive Suspension makes decent suspension components. I used a pair of their shocks some years ago and was very satisfied...a great value. They're also available from Harper's.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here