Author Topic: Sold my v7 stone today  (Read 2202 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Sold my v7 stone today
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
2013 V7, best I ever had sold for 4400 USD.  I don't think I'm finished with Guzzi quite yet though... it was hard watching someone else ride off on the V7. 

Thanks for the kind advice and friendly banter.  I'll likely stick around a while to live vicariously through your Guzzi experiences.

See ya around,

Vince

oldbike54

Re: Sold my v7 stone today
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »
 No need to leave Vince , heck , despite protestations from Chuckie these guys let me hang with them even when I was riding an old airhead  :shocked: :laugh: Do stick around please .

Dusty

Offline changohot

• New Egg
    • http://www.diazandpartners.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:48:19 PM »
No need to leave Vince , heck , despite protestations from Chuckie these guys let me hang with them even when I was riding an old airhead  :shocked: :laugh: Do stick around please .

Dusty
Check at the V9 Dusty, it's a fun bike, reasonable price.
Rod

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »
But why?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
Right.  Why not get another?  Heck, I heard there was a mid Atlantic dealer with two Stornello's left for $5995 to blow them out this year.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 11:30:58 PM »
But why?

Couple of reasons... a pretty severe burn injury last summer on my right wrist/hand, even before that I wasn't really riding as much anymore, seems the older I get the busier I get, and (maybe most importantly) the thrill is gone.  I truly admire the brand, the bikes, and the community ...but ...

Maybe an C3 or C4 or even C5 corvette to tinker around with might bring some of the thrill back!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
Couple of reasons... a pretty severe burn injury last summer on my right wrist/hand, even before that I wasn't really riding as much anymore, seems the older I get the busier I get, and (maybe most importantly) the thrill is gone.  I truly admire the brand, the bikes, and the community ...but ...

Maybe an C3 or C4 or even C5 corvette to tinker around with might bring some of the thrill back!

Funny, you're the second guy this week to suggest a plan to abandon Guzzi (and motorcycles) and buy a Corvette.

Here's my take.

Corvettes today are insane - cost, power, and total inability to really use it on the street. A Vette is the GM equivalent of a Panigale or Hyabusa or Vmax.

If what attracted you to Guzzi is the balance and joy of attacking some twisties along with the uniqueness and design simplicity of the vehicle then I would suggest considering one of the following:

* Miata
* Fiat 500 Abarth
* Mini Cooper S
* WRX
* Focus RS

Why? Because each of those vehicles can be a ball as MUCH closer to legal speeds than a Vette, not to mention at 1/2 the entry price of a vette. And let's really be honest, they are all much more useful then a Vette.

I don't say this lightly, I grew up firmly a GM man, swore I'd never own something with fewer than 8 cylinders or more than 2 doors. But times change and there's a lot of fun to be had in a Guzzi-esque way, with those cars.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
Funny, you're the second guy this week to suggest a plan to abandon Guzzi (and motorcycles) and buy a Corvette.

Here's my take.

Corvettes today are insane - cost, power, and total inability to really use it on the street. A Vette is the GM equivalent of a Panigale or Hyabusa or Vmax.

If what attracted you to Guzzi is the balance and joy of attacking some twisties along with the uniqueness and design simplicity of the vehicle then I would suggest considering one of the following:

* Miata
* Fiat 500 Abarth
* Mini Cooper S
* WRX
* Focus RS

Why? Because each of those vehicles can be a ball as MUCH closer to legal speeds than a Vette, not to mention at 1/2 the entry price of a vette. And let's really be honest, they are all much more useful then a Vette.

I don't say this lightly, I grew up firmly a GM man, swore I'd never own something with fewer than 8 cylinders or more than 2 doors. But times change and there's a lot of fun to be had in a Guzzi-esque way, with those cars.

Kev,  it's not so much a plan as it is thinking out loud 😊.  The 70's corvettes appeal to since I was a teenager then.  The 80's and 90's vettes are also cool.  I've spent some time on forums and such and am in no hurry.  I am a fan of the Abarth Fiats, and currently own an electric 500... it's a very comfortable well built car with very few moving parts.  I'm not walking away or abandoning Guzzi or motorcycles so much as taking a break from them.  Lots of things to explore ..  I just have to do my exploring 'one thing at a time'.  Some years ago I rented a Harley road king.  Initially, I just thought it was overweight and slow.  But after riding it most of that day, I appreciated its stability on the highway and it's comfort.  Perhaps most importantly my wife actually liked riding the RK.  My V7 wasn't great at two up travel on the open road so I ended up alone all the time.  And After my accident (i wrote about it in an older post) I just lost the thrill of riding a small, agile bike.  So it's just time to try something else.  If I turn back to motorcycles. It just might be that road king.

Vince

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »

Some years ago I rented a Harley road king.  Initially, I just thought it was overweight and slow.  But after riding it most of that day, I appreciated its stability on the highway and it's comfort.  Perhaps most importantly my wife actually liked riding the RK.  My V7 wasn't great at two up travel on the open road so I ended up alone all the time.  And After my accident (i wrote about it in an older post) I just lost the thrill of riding a small, agile bike.  So it's just time to try something else.  If I turn back to motorcycles. It just might be that road king.

Vince

Of course best of luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

If you contemplate a new Harley don't count out the new Heritage and Sport Glide, they both feel SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than an RK with most of the amenities/comfort.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 05:41:22 PM »

Here's my take.

* Miata
* Fiat 500 Abarth
* Mini Cooper S
* WRX
* Focus RS

When I blew out my back a year ago and was laying in the hospital at pain level 10 my wife suggested that I find a different hobby when I get out.  I drove Jeep Wranglers, Corvettes, S2000, Audi TT, Camaros, Miatas, Z4s, 370Z Roadsters, etc. looking for that vehicle that would excite me at just a little over the speed limit.  The Miata won hands down.  Many of the cars were boring on the little backroads at 10 over the speed limit because they were capable of so much more.  The sense of speed in the Miata on tight twisty backroads was awesome!  I decided to wait and see if the back gets good enough to ride before I make a decision and am back to riding now, but not like I used to.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
i had a  Nissan  350Z  for a while, excellent performance and reasonable price and resale       l sold it to buy another motorcycle .. :wink:

smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »
The Z is fun too. I remember spinning one off the road into the desert on a business trip once lol.

But the list I gave was specific... Well at least the 3 of them (and I'm assuming the other two are similar) are ones that I've found to be possibly as much fun as motorcycles in the twisties.

That might be particular to the cars or to me, I can't say...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:03:00 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
The Z is fun too. I remember spinning one off the road into the desert on a business trip once lol.

But the list I gave was specific... Well at least the 3 of them (and I'm assuming the other two are similar) are ones that I've found to be possibly as much fun as motorcycles in the twisties.

That might be particular to the cars or to me, I can't say...

I limited my search to cars that came in open air models.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »
I limited my search to cars that came in open air models.

they make a ragtop  :cool:
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 05:49:40 AM »
they make a ragtop  :cool:

Yes they do and the mechanism causes the rear cowling to rub on the top when opening and closing.  When I looked at one with 60,000 miles on it I saw the wear and amount of rubbing was pretty bad.  Great deals on 370Z cars today because the rest of the industry has left them back in '09 technology.  Fun cars, but the roadster sadly is not for me.  My only negative about the Miata is that the seats have no structure to them to save weight.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here