Author Topic: What are the differences between a V7 II and a V7 III?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline deeve

• New Egg
What are the differences between a V7 II and a V7 III?
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:42:18 PM »
Hello, I am looking at a Guzzi V7 II Stone.  In the spring I looked at a V7 III and ended up going a different direction. Well, Guzzisti, I am back.  I checked out a V7 II with Sato rear sets that felt pretty high, but I don't know what position they were set.  The owner didn't either. He bought it that way.  The V7 II is in ok condition. Its got 13k miles and was stored outside under cover.  The bodywork is clean and it has kinda a cool rat look to it.  I got quite a bit of exhaust fume smell from it when I took it for a test ride like it was running a little rich, but I dont know if there is a tuner or something on it. The owner didnt know much about it. He bought it and rode it.

My question is...what are the big differences between the V7 II and V7 III?  I am looking for feedback from folks who have owned both. I heard one either is higher or has more room than the other, but I dont know what that means. 

Offline deeve

• New Egg
Re: What are the differences between a V7 II and a V7 III?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
A follow-up question would be do III tanks fit on a II? This one is that matte green color that I do not believe was offered in 2015, which this one purports to be.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:37:57 PM »
My question is...what are the big differences between the V7 II and V7 III? 

This might help.

The Mk I is a dry alternator and slightly higher charging system output until the last year (~15) when it went to a wet alternator.

The Mk II adds TC & ABS and the new six speed gearbox.

The Mk III changes the motor from the Heron Head to the Hemi and that differs the most from the other two from ergos to cosmetics, especially the motor.

2013 - 2014: Single body throttle unit
2015 -2016: Six speed gearbox, ABS, Traction Control, Wet Alternator (V7-II)
2017 - 2018: Hemispherical Head (V7-III)

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:47:29 PM »
A follow-up question would be do III tanks fit on a II? This one is that matte green color that I do not believe was offered in 2015, which this one purports to be.

My V7-III Stone was purchased new in August 01, 2017.  It has the matte green color.

It's now surplus to my requirements.  Too bad you don't live in New Zealand, I could offer you a deal.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:47:29 PM »

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 04:08:07 AM »
Deeve - as was pointed out to me when I bought my 2015 V7... In the USA, Guzzi's were off by a year. So much of my research was incorrect. I had a 2015, which the manuals I found online and other material indicated I had a 6'th gear and ABS. Mine does not. In the states the V7ii appeared in 2016. I actually had to download a manual for a 2014 to get the correct maintenance items like what oil to use in the gearbox and such (minor difference when they went to the ii).

As for your original question; the V7ii was an update to the V7. The seats are interchangeable. Body parts and other items... all the same. Just a 6'th gear and ABS. But jumping to the V7iii - you have a different engine (head design) and different frame/body. The seats are not interchangeable, nor the side covers or rear luggage racks, to name a few.

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 05:41:01 AM »
Hello, I am looking at a Guzzi V7 II Stone.  In the spring I looked at a V7 III and ended up going a different direction. Well, Guzzisti, I am back.  I checked out a V7 II with Sato rear sets that felt pretty high, but I don't know what position they were set.  The owner didn't either. He bought it that way.  The V7 II is in ok condition. Its got 13k miles and was stored outside under cover.  The bodywork is clean and it has kinda a cool rat look to it.  I got quite a bit of exhaust fume smell from it when I took it for a test ride like it was running a little rich, but I dont know if there is a tuner or something on it. The owner didnt know much about it. He bought it and rode it.

My question is...what are the big differences between the V7 II and V7 III?  I am looking for feedback from folks who have owned both. I heard one either is higher or has more room than the other, but I dont know what that means. 

My comments are (predictably) less detailed and responsive than the others have offered, but anecdata is all I have.   :wink:

I have a Stornello (a II) with c.10K miles) and a III (with c.13K miles).

My butt-dyno reports much less of a significant difference between the performance of the two than others find.  I am NOT doubting their findings or that of dynos, but, especially IMO with Guzzis or at least MY Guzzis, numbers matter less than smiles per mile. 

My Stornello is WAY more fun than the III.  That doesn't mean that I don't like the latter, but it provides a less visceral experience than the Stornello.  In fact, it seems to me almost bland.  There's something to be said, of course, for an uneventful ride, but, heck, I have a trailer if near home and a towing policy if not.   :grin:

As for ergos, I don't feel much contrast between the two, but find both ask me to dismount and stretch before they need refueling (c.200 miles).  That may, of course, be my age!   :rolleyes:  And -- on the anecdatal side -- the II's saddle seems a bit more comfortable than the III's.

All of the foregoing aside, both are fine, and have given me many of those "miles of smiles." 

All offered FWIW and YMMV,

Bill

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 05:43:13 AM by Iron Cross Junction »
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 06:36:59 AM »
As for your original question; the V7ii was an update to the V7. The seats are interchangeable. Body parts and other items... all the same. Just a 6'th gear and ABS. But jumping to the V7iii - you have a different engine (head design) and different frame/body. The seats are not interchangeable, nor the side covers or rear luggage racks, to name a few.

Notice you say that the seats are both interchangeable and not. They are indeed swappable.

The frames are almost the same, with minor differences. The rear shocks on the III mount just a little farther back on the frame than the II.

Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 06:43:37 AM »
I haven't owned or ridden a II, so understand that from the start. I own both a I and III.

There's a big difference between the I and III in hp/feel. Snapping the throttle open on a III pulls at my arms where it doesn't on a I.

Attempting to run the ton on a I is a struggle, and though it's not effortless on a III it happens more quickly and without the struggle of the I.

Some seats do interchange between them, mostly just not my Corbin and that probably because my III is one of the ones with the chopped rear fender and separate tail light mounting subframe.

Besides the differences that the Hemi head engine bring, the biggest difference is ergonomics. The pegs are further away from the seat in the III, meaning they are lower, closer to the ground. This allows less bend in the knee, but also means you scrape sooner in corners.

Which is better?!? Just depends on what you want. They are close enough not to worry about it. And I suspect the six speed and abs just makes the II even closer to the III, though I still think the numbers suggest you'll feel the power difference, even if it's not "meaningful" to you.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline deeve

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 08:39:11 AM »
Thanks all...gives me some things to ponder.  I checked the VIN and it is indeed a 2015 V7 II. No abs.  It appears either the tank was painted the matte green or perhaps swapped. Makes me wonder why it was painted. Could be because the owner wanted a different color...or could be it was damaged and fixed with the new color.  The edge of the valve cover has minor scraping, which indicates it was dropped at some point.  Not uncommon, but not perfect either.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »
I wouldn’t be considering a bike that has been stored outside.  Nothing good comes of it. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:55:26 AM »
The V7 II indeed has ABS and traction control. If yours doesnt have it, then you have the previous model.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 09:16:38 AM »
Yeah. Got to be a V7 I.

Personally, I would pass on that one.
Too much that doesn't seem to add up here.

Very happy with my V7 III by the way.

I was on the hunt for a V7 II at first (mainly because I think it looks a bit better; best stock color options too IMO), but the potential motor issue put me off.

Then there's the new V7 850 too... I had a long ride and have to admit it's the much better bike.
Not so much that I would sell my III, but if I had to buy one now, I'd take the V7 850 for sure.

Good luck with whatever you will get in the end!

Cheers,
D.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:22:07 AM by Dimitri_Harkov »
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline deeve

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 09:22:53 AM »
I may be wrong, but from the several V7's from 2015 I have seen there is no abs on them.  It appears in 2016 ABS was added, or at least on the ones I have seen.

The VIN certainly does show 2015 which it could only be a V7II, correct?  Either way, there are some odd things that I could ignore for a lower price, but at $6 asking price I can get cleaner and newer...with abs  :laugh:

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »
I believe Kev M informed me very early on that in the USA, the 2015's are V7's. The rest of the world moved on to the V7ii in 2015. US 2016 models are the V7ii with ABS and 6'th gear.

Go with Kev's info on seat/frame differences, sorry for my misinformation. I have a rear luggage rack from a V7 that I've been trying to sell. It fits V7ii's, but does not fit the V7iii models - thus I thought the frames were significantly different, not just shock mounting points. My bad.

Offline deeve

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 09:36:00 AM »
Again, thank you.  Having owned a Guzzi in the past I do realize that they sometimes do not do things like a traditional motorcycle company. Not bad, just different...like the US spec 2015's being a V7 vs V7II which led to my confusion.

I do think I am going to pass on this one for a variety of reasons.

DAVE

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »
I may be wrong, but from the several V7's from 2015 I have seen there is no abs on them.  It appears in 2016 ABS was added, or at least on the ones I have seen.

The VIN certainly does show 2015 which it could only be a V7II, correct?  Either way, there are some odd things that I could ignore for a lower price, but at $6 asking price I can get cleaner and newer...with abs  :laugh:

I don't think the 2015 is considered a VII in the US. I had a friend who had a 2015 V7 Special and it was definitely not a VII as it had the 5 speed transmission and all the other stuff that does not go with a VII.

I think if you look at Kiwi Dave's and add one year to each division for US offerings they you'll be right on, so 2014-2015 would be single throttle body (with metal tank) and 2016 the first year for the VII in the United States.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 06:52:49 PM »

My comments are (predictably) less detailed and responsive than the others have offered, but anecdata is all I have.   :wink:

I have a Stornello (a II) with c.10K miles) and a III (with c.13K miles).

My butt-dyno reports much less of a significant difference between the performance of the two than others find.  I am NOT doubting their findings or that of dynos, but, especially IMO with Guzzis or at least MY Guzzis, numbers matter less than smiles per mile. 

My Stornello is WAY more fun than the III.  That doesn't mean that I don't like the latter, but it provides a less visceral experience than the Stornello.  In fact, it seems to me almost bland.  There's something to be said, of course, for an uneventful ride, but, heck, I have a trailer if near home and a towing policy if not.   :grin:

As for ergos, I don't feel much contrast between the two, but find both ask me to dismount and stretch before they need refueling (c.200 miles).  That may, of course, be my age!   :rolleyes:  And -- on the anecdatal side -- the II's saddle seems a bit more comfortable than the III's.

All of the foregoing aside, both are fine, and have given me many of those "miles of smiles." 

All offered FWIW and YMMV,

Bill

I concur with the counselor.....

As others have said, I believe in the USA the only V7 with the heron head and ABS and TC was 2016 V7ii.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 07:35:05 PM »
As others have said the 2015 V7 in North America is a MkI 5-spd, wet alternator, no ABS bike

The 2016 in North America was a V7II with 6-apd and ABS.

The V7 II WAS the first V7 to have a 6-spd or ABS
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 12:16:06 AM »
The 6 speed in my MKii is flawless.. Makes for a very enjoyable ride.. The motor is a gem and I had a few bikes too.. Do I miss the power of a big block Guzzi. Not really, Miss my Aprila power way more..  :grin: I still rather have a 90 degree twin over a 45/60/72 etc.. The little High pipe arrow  on my 2016 sure has very pleasing sound to it.

Offline deeve

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »
I miss the raw engine characteristics on my 97 Sporti engine with the purely artistic fiberglass bodywork.  The fuel injection was NOT at all well sorted by even 97 standards at idle and low speed, but boy did it pull like a train. The first start was the best though with the slow engine cranking over which ultimately ended when the engine literally roared to life with the open exhaust I had on it. Those are the Guzzi traits that I miss.  When I took the V7 for a ride, I felt a hint of that DNA hiding under the skin.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
Didn't the V7I (maybe VII also) have plastic tanks, while the V7III had a metal ones? That may be the reason for the matte green.

RIch A

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2021, 09:46:48 AM »

You can buy brand new leftover 2020 V7III Stones for under $7k.  I would offer the guy $3000 and negotiate up to $3700 if you really want it.  The low NADA value is $3710 in my area and an outside stored bike isn't worth any more than that. 

Definitely look inside the tank to make sure there is not damage or rust inside. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »
Didn't the V7I (maybe VII also) have plastic tanks, while the V7III had a metal ones? That may be the reason for the matte green.

RIch A

Close, but nope.

The V7C and early V7 Racers with the 2TB motor had plastic tanks until their last year in North America when they got the larger metal tanks right before the MKI 1TB bikes were released.

IIRC matte tanks made their debut on some MkI bikes (Some Stones).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here